Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to texaskreek06
Default CruiseCompete.com??? Anybody???

Has anyone used cruisecompete.com before? Should I book with a local travel agent or with one that is not local, but can offer lower prices as with cruisecompete.com I have never cruised before but have spent hundreds of hours reasearching them and know exactly what I want and what I don't want. Advise? Thanks Guys!
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I did. Won't cruise until 4/4/09 but have no complaints so far. I love the OBC I received from the company I chose, too. They couldn't offer lower prices on my cruise (RCL doesn't allow it) but made up for it with OBC. I've called to upgrade my cabin and they gave me an upgraded OBC amount, too. Hoping for a price drop, which they will honor.

Just be sure to check out the companies that come back to you with quotes and remember, "Buyer Beware". I'm hoping my story with CC is a happy one - will let you know next April!

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Admiral

I've used CruiseCompete many, many times, and have never had a bad experience. Actually, I had one agent who won the "bid" several times on CruiseCompete, so I just started going directly to her. IMO, CruiseCompete is GREAT, and even if you don't book through their agents, you can find out what the price should be on any given cruise.

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Passenger

Care to share the agents name?
Oh and what does OBC mean?
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Passenger

OBC= On Board Credit

But another question is this, In some of the quotes, I see other areas besides for exable 8A or 8B, such as BL or OV. What are those? I can't find them in the deck plans and I am sure they have something to do with the deck/rooms. Keep in mind I got quotes for Balcony room only. Thanks!
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: CruiseCompete.com??? Anybody???

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaskreek06
Has anyone used cruisecompete.com before? Should I book with a local travel agent or with one that is not local, but can offer lower prices as with cruisecompete.com I have never cruised before but have spent hundreds of hours reasearching them and know exactly what I want and what I don't want. Advise? Thanks Guys!
I've used CruiseCompete several times. It's a great resource! The thing to remember is that you need to be sure you are comparing the same category to know for sure if you're getting an accurate comparison. For example, don't just say "inside" or you will get numerous quotes of varying categories. If you specifically ask for a quote on Category J, that's what they should quote you on. Sometimes, they don't have any cabins in that category and quote you something else.

Read the quotes carefully. Sometimes the cheapest at first glance isn't the best deal. Watch for onboard credits or other perks and select what's important to you. I've also found an agent through there that I use more often and had good luck with. I've recommened the same agent to friends/family and they book with them too. Probably can't name them. I'll try to email you with it.
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

There are a lot of good agents in cruisecompete, but I have also heard stories about less-than experienced agents making quotes they couldn't follow though with.

Just be very careful to verify everything an agent tells you, and compare apples to apples. Also - look for certifications and financial stability. In this market you want to be sure any money you pay in actually goes to the travel supplier.

Unforutnately, when TAs go out of business, it often happens that they were using incoming cash to try to stay afloat, instead of buying the travel for the client who paid in. I know of one travel agent who went to prison for doing this.
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
OBC= On Board Credit

But another question is this, In some of the quotes, I see other areas besides for exable 8A or 8B, such as BL or OV. What are those? I can't find them in the deck plans and I am sure they have something to do with the deck/rooms. Keep in mind I got quotes for Balcony room only. Thanks!
BL I believe is "balcony", and OV is "Ocean View" (not a balcony, but only a porthole or window) If you're asking for quotes only on balcony cabins, and they are quoting OV, then you're not getting what you're asking for!

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
OBC= On Board Credit

But another question is this, In some of the quotes, I see other areas besides for example 8A or 8B, such as BL or OV. What are those? I can't find them in the deck plans and I am sure they have something to do with the deck/rooms. Keep in mind I got quotes for Balcony room only. Thanks!
Texas:

BL: Is a balcony "guarantee". This means you will receive a balcony cabin in one of the balcony cabin categories. It could be the lowest category balcony cabin or the highest. (This doesn't include suites)

OV: Is an ocean view "guarantee". It is the same as a balcony guarantee. You will receive an ocean view cabin in one of their ocean view categories.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Passenger

Default Thanks Again!

Thanks everyone for your comments and advise. It is greatly appreciated. Being my first cruise & the all important honeymoon I decided to out myslef an extra 350 bucks and go with a local travel agent just as an added measure of security. Not sure if its going to pay out yet...but I will probably use cruisecompete next time. Thanks everyone!
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Don't let any charges by credit card be charged to the Travel Agent! Make sure it is sent directly to the Cruise Line! Call you CC company to ensure it!