Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Passenger

Default Christmas gifts on board

Hi--

I've seen this topic alluded to in older posts, but wanted to get the most "current" opinion.

We'll be spending Christmas and New Year's on our cruise. Is it OK to give small gifts to crew members such as our cabin attendant, waiters, etc.?
I was thinking of visiting the "Made in Washington" store, and finding goodies typical of the Pacific Northwest. Would I even be able to bring them through Brazilian customs?

Or, is it better to give some extra $$ tucked in a Christmas card? If so, what currency? The ship will be going back and forth between Buenos Aires and Santiago for several months before heading back to a U.S. port.

Also, is it possible to give some kind of goodie and ask that it be placed in a common crew area to be enjoyed by all those crew members we never even get a chance to meet?

I've seen all kinds of opinions on whether to tip extra earlier in the cruise (and my intention isn't to open that debate on this post); and wouldn't want to be misinterpreted. It just seems like it must be hard for all the crew to be away from their families during what seems to be almost a world-wide time of celebration, even if it isn't specifically Christmas.

Thanks for your input or suggestions. Happy Holidays to all.

Sailing on Star Princess 12/22/08
Hablo espanol/Falo portugues
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The simplest and most appreciated would be money, or a preaid phone card, but money, to be used as they see fit, is a kind gesture. The crew works so hard, your generosity will be welcomed.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Money would be the best option becuase they can do whatever they want with it. They can buys things for their family, or phone cards, or even thing they need like toothpaste shampoo, etc.

You can give them US dollars becuase the ports that cruise ships go to will accept US dollars. Or they can trade it for the money they need. It is just easier to give US money becuase everyone is from so many different places and you would have to bring so much different money if you wanted to the money in their countries kind.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 9th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default So nice

masetra

what a kind and thoughtful thing to think of. These crewmembers are away from home for such long periods of time, and i'm sure they have some kind of celebration with their ship family. But, i should think... it's not like being home.

this is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

debbyedoops
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Just keep in mind that crew members come from many cultures, so many of them would not be celebrating Christmas anyway, even at home. So, a token gift to share our holiday with them would certainly be a nice gesture, but perhaps with a wish that they find joy in whatever holiday they celebrate would be ideal. Just me.
Marty
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:46 PM
First Mate

Default Gifts on a cruise

Maestra----what did you eventually decide on your cruise as far as "gifts". Just curious-------Bill