Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Say Cheese:)

Remember back when you took your first cruise, you packed your 35mm camera, and your 20 pound cam corder?

Everywhere you looked this was a picture you just needed to take, on and off the ship.

Now we have digital cameras and cam corders that weigh just a pound. Are you still as vigilant about taking cruise pictures, or have you become blase about it?

Are your pictures in boxes under the bed, or showed off beautifully in scrapbooks. Do you snap away all cruise long?

A friend of mine, who takes about 500 shots every cruise, takes beautiful botanical shots. I have two, which we made in sepia tone, and I had them framed , and they now hang in my kitchen. His cruise, not mine, but lovingly admired

I must admit, we do take less, but we did get a real mini cam, so we shall see, next cruise So how about you?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Yeoman

Took over 700 on my last cruise!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Admiral

We hauled along the laptop on our last cruise strictly to download the SD card - the DW still ran out of room on St Martin.

We burn the photos to CD, print the best for our non-digital friends & family and post those and more to Shutterfly for our far away friends.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Does anyone else miss having a stack of pictures to thumb through? I know, I know, you can print them fromm the puter, but to my mind it was just easier to get them developed......I am old:

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Admiral

The last few cruises we have taken 500/600 photos each time.
Ms. Scurvydog puts them on a disc in slideshow form with background music and we just let them play on the TV. Very few get printed. 8)
61 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom X3, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3, Pride
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Admiral

Trip - we print our photos commercially (shutterfly or a local drug store). Photos are much nicer than printed pages.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Admiral

I actually take more, lots more, now that we've gone digital. I know I can delete one if I don;t like it, so I am more willing to take shots that I am not sure of. Used to end up with so many that were not worth the paper they were on, let only development cost. Now, I can go crazy and only print out what I like.
Marty
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I still have a huge box of prints from my journeys on cruises back in the early 1980s. I hauled 20 pounds of camera, tripod and special lenses everywhere i went.

Do I ever go back and look at those pictures? In truth, not anymore. But I did several times before I finally got bored with them.

But I DO still enjoy seeing other people's pictures of their recent cruises. I like to see what I haven't seen - new ships, attractions in places I haven't been to, etc.

but I don't enjoy seeing the same picture over and over again.

And I'm sorry to say that while I enjoy MOST other people's pictures, I don't need to see any more Chocolate Extravaganza Buffets!
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
And I'm sorry to say that while I enjoy MOST other people's pictures, I don't need to see any more Chocolate Extravaganza Buffets!
Agreed. Save room on your memory card for Speedo pics!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Admiral

I have, I believe, 5 picture albums. I have two shoe boxes of pictures still in their packages. I have three albums on the computer and 1000's still on scandiscs. I like pictures of cruises.

Cheese

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
First Mate

in answer to trip: a sad day happened this fall when my trusty film camera died. i used to love making a photo scrapbook of every cruise; i actually took them off the shelf and relived memories. i have no family who would want to be bored by my pictures; and e mailing them to my friends might not be good either -- who really wants to see someone's vacation pictures -- kind of like when we were kids having to endure the slide shows after dinner -- gag. but now with my new inexpensive and simple digital i am told i can bring the memory card in and have the pictures i want printed out at a fraction of the cost of film developing. so, i'm giving it a try. what a shock it is to know that the world has passed over the 'file folder' generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I haven't even bothered to take the camera on last few cruises. I might on next one as we are traveling with friends.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Passenger

Going on our 11th cruise in 3 weeks and will take along the digital camera again as usual. Maybe the camcorder--not sure yet. its one of the older ones . Kind of too bulky.

I rarely print any vacation pictures any more. NO ONE wants to see them but me. So I just have my albums on the puter and when I have a need to see blue water and palm trees I just fire up ol' Betsy, sit back and look at about 500-600 pictures.

I did use a professional picture from a cruise last year as our Christmas card. ( a one time thing--everyone who recieved one loved them) It was a fun, sassy picture of me & hubby. We were standing back to back with his arms folded and my hands on my hips. I cropped it and tried different coloring ideas thru Walgreens. Ordered on-line and picked them up 2 hrs later.

I will not let them take a formal picture of us. The photogs go nuts when we get in line. I WILL NOT rest my folded hands on hubbys shoulder as if posing for some presidential portrait. When others see the silly poses they like them and want to do them too. Another favorite pose we did one time was hold all our bags of souvenirs.

Next cruise think of something fun and have them take your pic. If you dont like it you dont have to buy it. How about a foo-foo drink in your hand?
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Default Say Cheese

On our last cruise to South America we took approximately 4500 photos on the 45 day trip (38 days of cruising). Then I attended one of the computer/photo classes aboard ship and learned from a passengers that he had already reached the 10,000 mark. He was trying to learn how to file the photos so he could easily find them. That is always problem for me too. Now I have the trip listed and then the countries visited with additional "tags" on the people--at least the ones I remember their names. I agree with you, I rarely print any pictures, however they are always there if I want to. I still opt for the smaller memory cards for my camera and I'll retain them in my files. I always go for the smaller capacity as they are very inexpensive and easy to file. Thus I not only have a copy in my PC, I have another copy on my back up drive and a third copy on the memory card. Never could have done this years ago. Thanks for asking and sharing.

Bill