Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

View Poll Results: Should I leave the car or not?
Yes, leave the car, she's your kid and they're your grandkids 0 0%
No, she is an adult and should be able to manage on her own 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Transportation to Galveston.

Ok here I have a dilema brought on by my daughter who has all of a sudden decided that she can not be left with out a car during my trip next month. We only have one car and I will be driving it to Galveston. I have looked into flying, Southwest has a pretty good rate flying into Hobby for about $98 round trip. Greyhound also has the military rate of $90 round trip and will go to Galveston. But I would be on that bus for 5 hours and I would have to leave the day after the cruise comes back to return home. So that would be another night in a hotel. I thought about renting a car in Houston and leaving it in Galveston for that week, but it seems like a waste of money to me. I also thought about just renting her a car here for that week and I can get one for $175 for the week, but she is only 19, so I would end up leaving her my car and driving the rental, since Hertz will not allow anyone under 21 to rent or dirve their vechicles. And agian the thought of paying per day for a rental car to sit in a parking lot in Galveston seems a great waste of money. I looked at taking the train but it gets in at like 6am and I would have no where to stay for alomst 7 hours until I could check into my hotel. So thats out. I looked at shuttles that run from Hobby to Galveston and they cost about $80 round trip.

My origanal plan was to leave here on Feb 5, spend the night in Houston since I am considering a move there, then leaving for Galveston later that day and checking into my hotel in Galveston. The cruise departs on Feb 7 and cmes back on the 12th.

So what do yall think? Should I tell my daughter to suck it up and call her friends for rides and learn to use the buses here in SA or should I leave her the car and figure out a way for me to get to Galveston and forget the side trip to Houston.? The only reason I am even considering leaving her the car is because she is in school and she has babies who have to go to daycare.

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Admiral

While I voted with everyone else. I do have another possible soultion. See if you can rent and car drive it down and drop it off before the cruise. My hubby and I did this; we rented a car and drove it from Sacramento to San Francisco then dropped it off and hopped on a plane. I think if you rent the car airport you don't have to drop it off where you picked it up. I hope that helps. However, I didn't think you daughter should get your car while you ride the bus 5 hours. That isn't right.

You may want to say to your daughter if you want the car; then come up with a solution on how to get to and from the port. She may think of something you didn't.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had thought of that, however, Hurricane Ike destroyed the car rental place there. I rent through Hertz and they did a lot of one way's and rental returns for cruises, but now they can not to Galveson since the Hurricane.

I also talked to my friend and she agrees that my daughter is grown now, old enough to be a mother, so she need to figure out how to get around on her own. I will make sure that I leave enough food, formula, diapers, ect., and money for a cab in an emergency or if one of the babies have to go to the doctor. Other then that she can call her friends or take the bus.

I just have to break it too her now, and of course she will think this is a new form of child abuse....