Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Time in San Juan

Years ago, cruises to San Juan pulled into port in the am or afternoon. I wonder what changed, that now brings them into port, mid or late afternoon.

From my point of view, this is such an interesting port, that many people lose out on seeing the best of it... or very shortened time for the fort...window shopping for as long as you want, mayabe not trying that restuarant you might have tried, if not for missing dinner onboard. Frankly too, many crusiers might be scared to tour the port at night, and feel they will miss onboard activities as well.

Have all the ships now down sized their time there I wonder, or do some lucky visitors have all day.......I see many questions about what to do at night in SJ, as I moderate the boads.......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Admiral

When sailed to San Juan a few years ago on the Liberty arrived late in the day and I felt as though we missed out on some things, because it was dark out. Fortunately it was a full moon so we still went up to El Morro and explored.

***I had to edit this because I got a little mixed up on how we made it to San Juan the last time***
The next time we went there, we were on Carnival Triumph October 3rd, 2007 and it was during daylight hours, arrival 7:00 a.m. and departure 3:30 p.m., which I thought was great, but it was so bloody hot, we were miserable and ended going up to the ship early. I think if it had been in January it would have been much more enjoyable.

So I really don't know which is better.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
First Mate

every time we are in Puerto Rico with a cruise, it seems to be night and rainy. This spring, we are going to do a land trip there for 3 to 5 days. I can't wait. It's supposed to be great fun. It doesn't seem to be a main destination for cruiselines though.
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Admiral

I thought that I had replied to this thread but it must have gotten deleted.

We arrived in San Juan around 1pm and were in town until 10pm; great for going to one of San Juan's great restaurants.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14