Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Default Cruise Insurance

What kind of cruise insurance do you buy? I am going on a 20 day transatlantic with a 3 day land tour on the end. I want to include airfares also. Does anyone know what this might cost?
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Go to insuremytrip.com.......this site will ask for your particular info, including, air and hotel, and give you side by side comparisons..quite easy to get around this site and learn what is offered.

For most...medical ship evacuation is an all important factor, considering the amazing cost if you need it, and trip interuption as well.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Captain

Just another quick note in addition to Trip's great suggestion of insuremytrip.com....Make sure that you tell them that you are making a transatlantic crossing when you buy the highly recommended medical ship evacuation. For our recent crossing there was an extra cost of $33 per person for the insurance, which included air, hotel deposits, the works. The agent told me that the limitations of certain policies would have left us with insufficient coverage if we needed off the ship in the midlde of the crossing. Apparently there is a calculation that some of the companies do depending on how many days away from land you are. Good luck, enjoy the crossing! I'm envious
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the tips.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Passenger

I received a quote for $118. per person. Does that sound right?
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It does sound a bit high, but the quote is determined by your imput...Did you compare several companies, and was the price around the same? Like everything else prices probably have gone up since I cruised last.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Since I made a deposit for my cruise last December, there will be no waiver for pre-existing conditions and we did not pass the 60 day lookback period. Should I still buy insurance?
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Admiral

sweety - yes still buy the insurance, get trip interruption/cancellation, baggage, and medical evacuation
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Why? I would not be able to use it if it has to do with my pre-existing condition.
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Sweety,
The pre-existing exclusion only means you will not have coverage for that condition (someone please correct me if I am wrong here). But, you would still have coverage if anything else went wrong. And medical evacuation alone can cost tens of thousands ot dollars. I won't sail without it.
Marty
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Trip Insurance

I have performed some research on many companies selling trip insurance.
One of the most important issues is medical, these are cost that can exceed the price of your entire vacation.
First thing, Contact your current medical provider, request all documents for pre-approval and procedure on emergency medical claims and reimbursements.
Most insurance companies may not pay a dime for out of network services, if they are not contacted prior to receiving any services.

If you have Medical or Medicare, your coverage is very limited, so check before leaving the States.

All Insurance companies have requirements for ADVANCE authorization before any out of pocket expences are reimbursed.
Your insurer will provide you with forms and telephone numbers, for pre-approval.
All services/medical treatment received from medical providers such as doctors, nurses, hospitals, clinics, and ambulatory services etc. must be approved in advance.
Requirements must be met and confirmed including completing the forms in ENGLISH for rembursement.
Remember, if you have an existing health plan, it is PRIMARY coverage, so a secondary policy would not pay on a claim.

Fact: Medivac otherwise known as (emergency air transport) is not covered on most insurance policies.
You must purchase a policy that covers this service.

Many of the sellers on trip insurance contain only secondary coverage for this reason.
This means that not all trip insurance coverage is the same.
A secondary policy will NOT pay on a claim, if other coverage applies.

Example on other types of coverage offered by sellers of trip insurance, Airlines have baggage coverage, which is limited, for a few dollars more you can increase the coverage with the airline your flying, this will also cover many other circumstances, such as delay and lost luggage.
The so called coverage from the companies selling trip coverage is absolutly worthless on many areas of coverage, when you read the fine print and find out that there limits are below that of the airlines, whom provide primary coverage.
Your homeowners insurance policy may also cover personal items that are excluded by the, cruise lines and airlines.
You really need to contact every company you do busines with and determine the actual coverage you currently have.
Then you can determine what coverage you may want to purchae from an independent seller a insurance.

Remember to shop for your insurance prior to making a deposit of your cruise, failure will cause all pre-existing conditions to be excluded from all coverage.

P.S. You will pay dearly for the ability to cancel a trip.

Good Luck
Danny
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Passenger

There are also a couple of companies that offer policies covering pre-existing conditions even if purchased after first payment. These policies tend to be more expensive, but if pre-existing conditions are an issue for you, they might be worth the cost. insuremytrip.com will show which ones they are.