Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Beginner

Default Spirit airlines? Anyone flown them?

I am looking for cheap airfare for 4 from ATL to FLL in April for our cruise! Has anyone flown Spirit air? They usually have unbelievable rates, but I have never heard anything about them - are they a reputable airline? Do they nickel & dime for everything? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Christie
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Admiral

We flew on Spirit from O'Hare to Miami and it was OK. The seats are small and it is very "no frills". But as you said the price is right. I would probably fly Spirit again. I am a big fan of their $9 fare club. If you get lucky, you can really get a good deal.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I too, love those $9.00 fares....since they are mostly obscure itineraries for me, I have never been able to grab one

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Spirit is big for flights out of detroit metro. Every time we have cruised we have used them. For the most part no problems but don't expect anything exceptional. I think their rates are low because the offer very little. If you don't mind a flight that is basic you will be fine with them. Usually their flights are full, too. My mom flies back and forth between detroit and ft. myers often and uses spirit 90 percent of the time and never complains.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
First Mate

i read a recent review that said spirit had the most leg room in the industry.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone! I don't care about frills - I just want to get to the cruise and have more money to spend there! Besides, all the airlines have cut way back on everything. It's a quick flight from ATL too. I just wanted to make sure they were at least decent.

Thanks!
Christie
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

I have flown Spirit from LGA to Myrtle Beach and had no problems. When I got to the airport I paid $15 dollars more and was upgraded to 1st class.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Admiral

I have flown Spirit (AKA Ala Carte Airlines ) several times since they fly out of Atlantic City International which is much closer to us than Philly.

Some Caveats:

- They do not nickle and dime unless you classify a nickle as a five dollar bill. Everyting is extra, bags, refreshments, etc. Leave your filthy money at home, they only accept credit cards.

- The interior of the plane has more advertising than a NYC subway car.

- "First Class" is wider seats up front (2 vs 3 across). There is no other separation or difference in service.

-The seats are leather and of average airline comfort, as is legroom.

I am certain that they will require you to slide a credit card to open the overhead bins and tray tables as soon as some bean counter in management thinks of it .

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Admiral

The are a reputable regional airline from my understanding. Much like JetBlue(JetBlue is now national with great rates and service, though from limited locations) used to be. Just understand the terms before booking.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Passenger

i live about 20 minutes from spirit in a.c. so i fly them whenever possible. a.c. is a nice airport but i recently booked a flight for a friend of mine and i felt nickled and dimed. she had to pay $24 per person if she wanted to pick her seat instead of waiting to get to the airport. so if you like an aisle you will pay $24 for the privilege. also paid $25 per person for the first bag and $50 for each bag thereafter. you have to buy snacks if you want anything onboard.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Admiral

As long as they don't have pay-toilets.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Beginner

I would definitely go with Spirit if they have the best pricing. In the past, the service/quality was below that of USAir, Northwest, etc, but now I feel like the service is meh on all, so really no difference. Now when I fly, I really only look at price.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone! I did book them for our flight on one of the $50 off days. Airtran and Delta both charge for baggage now also, not just second bags or overweight, so that was a wash. I don't care about picking my seats early & paying for them - that's ridiculous that they charge for that (Airtran does also now fyi). It's a really short flight from ATL to FLL, so I'm not too concerned.

Now, if I get there and have to swipe my credit card to go to the toilet, I'm going to be mad! :-)

Thanks for all the replies!

One month to go!! Woohoo!
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Passenger

I actually booked spirit from ATL to Miami today. The price was better than everyone else but i doubt i will use them again. I was very frustrated by the "hidden costs". Maybe I'm spoiled by delta but i think its absurd to have to pay to sit beside the person I am traveling with. I also found it very frustrating that the $9 fair club has a $40 membership that is mentioned in the middle of the terms and conditions..Lesson learned i guess.

Enjoy your trip!
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsea
i live about 20 minutes from spirit in a.c. so i fly them whenever possible. a.c. is a nice airport but i recently booked a flight for a friend of mine and i felt nickled and dimed. she had to pay $24 per person if she wanted to pick her seat instead of waiting to get to the airport. so if you like an aisle you will pay $24 for the privilege. also paid $25 per person for the first bag and $50 for each bag thereafter. you have to buy snacks if you want anything onboard.
I live 7-10 minutes away from Atlantic City Int'l Airport and Spirit leaves from this airport. I bought a one-way ticket from Atlantic City to Puerto Rico for my son and I checked his one bag online which cost $6 less than doing it in person. It's $25 in person and $19 online. I didn't pay for his seat online (it's totally ridiculous to do this). He got his seat assignment at the airport.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdudley13
I actually booked spirit from ATL to Miami today. The price was better than everyone else but i doubt i will use them again. I was very frustrated by the "hidden costs". Maybe I'm spoiled by delta but i think its absurd to have to pay to sit beside the person I am traveling with. I also found it very frustrating that the $9 fair club has a $40 membership that is mentioned in the middle of the terms and conditions..Lesson learned i guess.

Enjoy your trip!
I am flying them for the first time next month -- felt the same way about the 40 enrollment charge! I paid for my seats, but since I have a middle -- 3x3 so no choice -- it irked me to have to pay for that to sit next to hubby. I'll pay for his aisle, but paying for a blasted middle!!! The price just couldn't be beat for a direct flight from Chicago to Myrtle Beach -- very few of those exist.