Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Default European Cruising

Hey everyone, more of my dumb, nitpicky questions.

My hubby and I plan on going to Europe once I finish grad school. It won't be until 2011, but we're starting the inital planning now to make sure we do it right since we're planning on kids soon afterwards and we will give us a little less ability to go off gallevanting

We've never been to Europe and many people tell us that cruising in the way to go. My hubby is very concerned about being able to explore the cities. I just want to get the most luxury I can for my buck. We do plan on hiring a travel agent once we're ready to plunk the money down but we make it a point to be very informed travelers, hence why I'm bugging you fine people.

The three most important facts:
1. we (should) have about $10,000 to spend for everything when the time comes
2. hubby REALLY wants to be able to explore Rome without feeling super rushed (we're Catholic, its a big city for us )
3. We'll be in our early 30s, we don't want to be on a ship where its "lights out" at 10PM

So my questions are:
1. Any particular cruise line we should be focusing on as we look around?
2. Would it be better to do a cruise that starts/ends in Rome or would an overnight there be enough to see a good chunk of the city?
3. For luxury...is it better to get the bottom class on a lux line like RSSC (assuming we can afford it) or a suite on a premium line?

Thanks in advance to anyone who goes out of their way to respond!
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: European Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by trintrin86
Hey everyone, more of my dumb, nitpicky questions.

My hubby and I plan on going to Europe once I finish grad school. It won't be until 2011, but we're starting the inital planning now to make sure we do it right since we're planning on kids soon afterwards and we will give us a little less ability to go off gallevanting

We've never been to Europe and many people tell us that cruising in the way to go. My hubby is very concerned about being able to explore the cities. I just want to get the most luxury I can for my buck. We do plan on hiring a travel agent once we're ready to plunk the money down but we make it a point to be very informed travelers, hence why I'm bugging you fine people.

The three most important facts:
1. we (should) have about $10,000 to spend for everything when the time comes
2. hubby REALLY wants to be able to explore Rome without feeling super rushed (we're Catholic, its a big city for us )
3. We'll be in our early 30s, we don't want to be on a ship where its "lights out" at 10PM

So my questions are:
1. Any particular cruise line we should be focusing on as we look around?
2. Would it be better to do a cruise that starts/ends in Rome or would an overnight there be enough to see a good chunk of the city?
3. For luxury...is it better to get the bottom class on a lux line like RSSC (assuming we can afford it) or a suite on a premium line?

Thanks in advance to anyone who goes out of their way to respond!
1. Regent is definitely way to go instead of a suite on mainstream or premium. For 2010 (no idea for 2011), Regent is including all excursions (except some very expesive ones that are discounted), free air (or credit), and (as always) drinks and tips. 2009 will be by fourth Regent cruise to Med and 2010 will be my fifth.

2. Starts or ends in Rome works but so does Venice. First Med cruise we flew to Rome for four days then flew to Venice to catch the ship. I strongly recommend a pre or post cruise in Rome to give yourselves time to see as much as you can. We took a series of walking tours our first time. We also were able to schedule a tour to the crypt under St Peters.

3. See answer to Item 1.

Hope this helps.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Passenger

Thanks for reccommending RSSC, I keep trying to convince my husband that lux is ths way to go if we're going to do this, if it were up to him we'd be sailing an inside cabin on Carnival.

Just looking at their website, even with airfare and shore excursions included, RSSC fall anywhere between $2000-$4000 outside of our price range. Any tips on where to look for some good deals? There's not a reccommended travel agent near me. I know I can't expect anything dirt cheap, but I hate it when reality intrudes on my fantasies.
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Captain

We have sailed Europe 3 times. Once to the Baltics on NCL, once around the .British Isles on Princess, and the Med on Carnival. We have booked another Baltic, although we really wanted to do the med again, but travel buddies preferred Baltic.

I can not speak to Regent (unfortunately) but can give you my thoughts.
Our CCL cruise sailed round trip from Rome (Civitavicchia - but let's just call is Rome ) I too really wanted to spend some time at the Vatican. We flew in 3 days early and had managed to hook up with a group of 12 people we had met on "the other board" to share a private tour. We spent 2 days seeing the sites of Rome and 1 at the Vatican. Unfortunately there was a big snafu at the Vatican and their reserved tickets office was closed the day we arrived and we waited in line for 2 hours and 15 minutes to get in . No one's fault, just one of those things. Because it was the day we were to board the ship we only wound up with about 4 hours in the vatican and 15 minutes in the gift shop. I really wanted a special rosary from there but needed to use the bathroom more. Oh well. If we had not been with a group we would have arranged our time a bit differently but our American expat tour leader took us to some wonderful restaurants ad out of the way places we would not have seen otherwise.

I would suggest you do a private tour rather than through the ship and add on 3 days before or after (or both) to your trip. Princess has an itinerary that begins in Rome and ends in Venice. RCCL has a nice itinerary that does some great overnights too. . If you can overnight there (I think RCCL does that) it would be fabulous. The scenery really is like a picture book. WE were there in August when they were harvesting grapes and it was fabulous to come upon those carts laden down with grapes. Not to mention sampling wines at local vinyards.

Pompeii was one of my husbands favorites and there is a cameo factory there where you could watch the craftsmen carve cameos. I had no idea they were seashells.

I think you will have a fabulous time. Just pace yourself.
As for the cabin, we had an inside cabin because we were off the ship for 12 hours a day, came in ate and collapsed. Unlike other cruises where we had plenty of time to lol away the hours on a balcony this is a very port intensive cruise. IMHO I would put my money toward good quality tours rather than accomodations.

Check out the reader reviews, too, there's always a wealth of information there.

As much as we loved Rome, our truly favorite part was Tuscany
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I'm not sure if you can squeeze Regent into a $10K budget and add time before or after your cruise in Rome or Venice. You might look at Oceania or a saling vessel such as Star Clippers or Wind Star. Another approach would be to book a suite on ome of the larger lines such as HAL or NCL (or even RCCL, Princess or Carnival) that way you have the night life of a large ship combined with the luxury of your suite.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It's seem to me from your post Rome is an important city to your husband. So definitely cruise from there and stay a couple days post cruise, you need at least one day to see the Vatican so I would say at least two full days. The Vatican is closed on Sunday so keep that in mind. Plus post cruise I would take the train from Rome to Venice It's about a 5 hours train trip.

Also you can book the Vatican tours directly through the Vatican (these tours skip the line). The Vatican tours include a Vatican Museum tour, a tour of the Vatican gardens, and a Scavi tour in which you go under the Vatican where St. Peter is buried. We didn't do this tour, because we didn't have enough time.

I loved Venice and I was so glad we took the train from Rome to Venice it was very easy and a wonderful, comfy ride. Just watching the Italian countryside go by was worth the 55 euros per person. I researched it and we went second class flex fare on a euro star (ES) train. You can buy the trains tickets once you get to Rome. Euro Star trains are the faster newer trains.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Just a few thoughts -- I agree with the others, do a pre or post in Rome since this is an important city for you. The train from Citivvecchi (sp?), the port city, eats your time. I have been to Rome twice, once on a cruise, and have yet to see the Cistine Chapel. Once, I didn't realize the hours and spent too much time in the Vatican, and once because the cruise stop was on a holy day -- so plan accordingly.

I agree with the poster who said that you are better off spending your money on tours than on an expensive ship, or cabin, imo. I have cruised Europe with a balcony, and an ov. The ov was perfectly adequate for me, although I love balconies, because we were so darned exhausted, there was no time to sit out on the balcony and make full use of it.
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Beginner

Hello. My husband & I are taking a 12 Day Egypt & Aegean cruise on the Grand Princess in Nov 2009. It is round trip from Rome.

Questions:

#1 - We are staying at the Jolly Midas - because that is where Princess has shuttle service to the ship from. Has anyone stayed there? Yes, we know it is not close to the center of town. I'm ok with that. We get to see more than just "downtown".

#2 - We are spending the extra day in Rome on the back side of the cruise. We do plan on going to the Vatican. I read in another post above, that someone did a tour of the crypts under St. Peter's. Where is that? How much does it cost? How far in advance do you have to book it?

#3 - Where is a good place to have lunch or dinner that doesn't cost an arm & a leg?

#4 - What are some other "must sees" in Rome?

#5 - Where is a good place to shop in Rome?

Thank You for your time and help!
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyAD
Hello. My husband & I are taking a 12 Day Egypt & Aegean cruise on the Grand Princess in Nov 2009. It is round trip from Rome.

Questions:

#1 - We are staying at the Jolly Midas - because that is where Princess has shuttle service to the ship from. Has anyone stayed there? Yes, we know it is not close to the center of town. I'm ok with that. We get to see more than just "downtown". I haven't stayed there. But one of the sites said they have a shuttle to downtown. Or find the Metro station that will take you anywhere including Termini train station for the Hop on Hop Off bus.

#2 - We are spending the extra day in Rome on the back side of the cruise. We do plan on going to the Vatican. I read in another post above, that someone did a tour of the crypts under St. Peter's. Where is that? How much does it cost? How far in advance do you have to book it?
Scavi tour can only be booked through the Vatican. Here is a link to the information about booking. http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/in...040112_en.html This link has information about what the tour is. I wish I would have booked this tour. But I was with family who were unable to go. http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/scavi_tour.htm

#3 - Where is a good place to have lunch or dinner that doesn't cost an arm & a leg? Here is a link to some review of Rome restuarants. http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restau...ist.asp?r=Rome and an article on the basics of italian dining. http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/restaurants/index.htm

#4 - What are some other "must sees" in Rome? If you go to Temini (SP?)train station you can take the hop on hop off bus. This bus is well priced and has audio tour on headphones. You can get of the bus at certain stops sightsee and re enter the bus. We loved this tour. It's a double decker bus, we sat on the top and got some great pictures from the bus.

#5 - Where is a good place to shop in Rome?
Ah here is my only regret slightly outside of Rome there is an outlet called Castel Romano Outlet. The discounts are suppose to be excellent. We didn't go there. Here is a link to it. http://www.mcarthurglen.it/castelrom...me.php?lang=en
If you are in the plus size range. There is a wonderful store called Pirtan Donna great clothes a bit pricey. But not bad for Italy.
http://www.pitran.com/donna.asp?offset=0
Here is a link to size conversion charts including shoes.
http://goeurope.about.com/cs/shoppin...othes_size.htm

Thank You for your time and help!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994