Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default in grand cayman...

do the stingrays have barbs? isnt this how steve irwin died? or are they "TRAINED" stingrays? idk..help

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Admiral

They do have barbs and are not trained. However, the stingrays in the Grand Caymans have been exposed to humans so much they are not dangerous. When I visited Stingray City on our excursion, our guide held up the stingrays and showed us their barbs. He told us the stingrays come to the sand bar every day and they are so used to human contact and being fed by humans, they are basically harmless. I can attest to this, they were very docile and one of the best excursions I ever did!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The stingrays in Grand Cayman are about as gentle as can be. They have been going to the sandbar for generation after generation. They know they have to put up with a little fussing and play with us before they get fed. The guides/boat captain will explain more to you on the boat, but what it gets down to it, the rays are there for food that YOU will give to them.

The rays have learned that the tourists will feed them, and as long as you the tourist follow the guidelines set out by the guides, nothing will happen. They will rub past you underwater, but don't worry, they're just letting you know they are there and they are ready to eat!!!

I encourage you to go, you will not regret it. All you have to do is follow the rules and all will be well!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Familiar Face

thank you, i feel better

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Also, Steve Irwin's death was truly a freak accident. He accidentally put his hand and his weight, down on a stingray that was just under the sand where he couldn't see it. That is when stingrays react. And, the odds of a barb hitting the heart are unbelievable. We live in Florida, and are accustomed to the "stingray shuffle". When you go in the water here, you drag your feet along the bottom. Stingrays love to lie just under the sand and the vibration from dragging your feet alerts them to get out of the way.
So, even those who are not used to humans will still avoid us when possible. The Grand Cayman rays love us. We feed them treats, so they are nice to us. I had a huge ray come up to me on this tour and wrap around me, then slide around and up my body. It was like a giant sliding hug. Wish I could do it again....like today! Everyone I have ever talked to who did this tour fell in love with it and with the rays.
Besides, even we humans have teeth (and stingrays don't), and we still hug.
Hugs,
Marty
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I had a huge ray come up to me on this tour and wrap around me, then slide around and up my body. It was like a giant sliding hug. Wish I could do it again....like today! Everyone I have ever talked to who did this tour fell in love with it and with the rays.
Besides, even we humans have teeth (and stingrays don't), and we still hug.
Hugs,
Marty

I had the same thing happen on a deep water snorkel in Grand Cayman. I was getting ready to climb up the ladder to get back on the boat and one came up in back of me and wrapped itself around my back. I initially though it was my wife pushing her flippers into my back. Now that I think about it I believe that, in certain states, the stingray and I are now legally married.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I am truly tempted to say forget the turtle farm and go back and do stingray city again. I loved it. The baby rays are the cutest. We had one that was floating up near the top of the water and was just begging to be handled!!! It didn't mind being handed from person to person, and this was a baby!!!!!...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I booked a tour through NCL that included a tour of the island, Hell, turtle farm and then Stingray City. I was scared to death at first, but then I relaxed and had the best time. Our local guides were wonderful. We were able to pet, feed, kiss, hold and get hugged by these. I have pics of our guide putting the barb in their mouth...not that I would try this. It is a great experience. Patting one in a touch pool will never be the same!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
The stingrays in Grand Cayman are about as gentle as can be. They have been going to the sandbar for generation after generation. They know they have to put up with a little fussing and play with us before they get fed. The guides/boat captain will explain more to you on the boat, but what it gets down to it, the rays are there for food that YOU will give to them.

The rays have learned that the tourists will feed them, and as long as you the tourist follow the guidelines set out by the guides, nothing will happen. They will rub past you underwater, but don't worry, they're just letting you know they are there and they are ready to eat!!!

I encourage you to go, you will not regret it. All you have to do is follow the rules and all will be well!!!
I agree. One of the best experiences I've ever had. A must do in Grand Caymans.
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Captain

We did the Stingray Encounter on Grand Turk and Loved it. They were so big, soft and gental. I would love to go back!

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Admiral

There are many types of rays.

Steve Irwin was killed by a Bull Ray and Southern Stingrays are what you see at Stingray Sandbar.

The rays at Stingray Sandbar are used to humans and will remind you of pets begging for food. The do still have stingers.