Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:46 PM
First Mate

Default carnival, front and center

well,, i guess there is no doubt, given motter's endorsement, that carnival is the line to go with. as so-called president, moderator, or whatever of this site, how could he so nakedly endorse one cruise line over another; after all, in his comments throughout this site he always calls for 'understanding other points of view.' i, personally, would never sail on a carnival party ship; that is my choice. but this is supposedly a cruise board to express opinions, not to have the head of it all just end all discussion with his own opinions, which somehow belittle the rest of us. i do not appreciate his views or how and on which forum they were expressed. this is, now, a carnival board. so, enjoy the carnival. i'm outta here. and i guess we know now who's 'paying the bills.' yep, the folks at carnival. and probably for his cruises and living expenses, too.
cruisemates is only like a magazine -- the industry pays for it. why should anyone be so surprised???

ps: i'm sure this will be deleted, but i hope not. i hope there is a substantive and honest reply.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Tsk, tsk, hombre,

Did it ever occur to you that maybe Paul just likes Carnival? I. know that I do and while I also like other cruise lines, most of the time, we sail on Carnival because we always get our money's worth.

And, just for the record, Carnival is no longer the "party ship" line. They caught on years ago to the fact that those who have bucks and time to go on cruises are NOT the young partiers. Years ago, that stereotype was true. I went on one singles cruise on Carnival and refused to go again for years. Finally, gave them another chance and it was totally different. So, don't buy into stereotypes, please. By the way, I am in my 60's now, been married for decades, am disabled, and am more oriented toward spiritual and intellectual pursuits than anything else. Due to my illness, alcohol makes me hurl, so I rarely drink at all and don't have the stamina or taste for partying. So, I am not some young'un promoting Carnival. I have also been on almost 40 cruises, on a variety of cruise lines and ships.

And, trashing Paul like that is just tacky. Saying that Carnival pays him in any way to promote their line is truly beneath you.
Marty
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM
First Mate

Geez Hombre,how do you really feel?
Carnival Pride Jan/07 Long Beach
Splendour of the Seas Sept/09 Venice
Adventure of the Seas Jan/11 San Juan
Adventure of the Seas Feb/12 San Juan
Navigator of the Seas Jan/13 N'arlins

<

Read and post cruise reviewsRead and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Marty is right, and I agree with her statements 100%. I too enjoy all the other cruise lines, but in my opinion Carnival absolutely offers more fun, and enjoyment, and relaxation for my dollar.
I think Paul is expressing his opinion for the good of all of us, and yes, we know it's his opinion. He just happens to be right,,,in my opinion.

Ken
"SKY"
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
First Mate

[/quote] i'm outta here.
Quote:

See ya.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Hombre, I think you have it wrong. From this thread of Paul's, I think he prefers Silversea:

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...ight=silversea

As for advertising, I think all cruise lines and plenty of travel agents advertise on this site; Paul is beholden to no one (except his boss).

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I do find some of the comments the moderators make are not as imparcial as they should be.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I do find some of the comments the moderators make are not as imparcial as they should be.

TM
Impartial in what way? I agree that they should be impartial when treating those of us that participate on this site but I want to hear there opinions with respect to cruising; that is why I read their posts. blogs, and articles. If they didn't have an opinion, I could just as well read the brochures/websites from the cruise lines.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
First Mate

but opinions are just that. when most of us express an opinion it is posted on this forum -- take it or leave it. when one of the 'biggies' posts an opinion on the home page it carries weight; it is not called 'my personal opinion.' it becomes policy, philosophy, or whatever you want to call it. call the article 'some things i liked about my recent carnival cruise' and it may be ok. or 'some things to compare among and between mass-market lines' that would be ok. but to put out an endorsement is, in my mind, not ok under the circumstances. or put the whole thing on a message board. ok. but when the 'head' of the whole business openly supports one cruise line over another, citing perceived deficiencies in other lines, that becomes sponsorship. i'm not really angry, just expressing an opinion. and i disagree with paul's opinion no matter whose 'pocket' he is in. selah
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Hombe,
I really think that your opinion that what the moderators says becomes policy or anything else is what you are reading into it.
Paul starts out by saying that it was a cruise for Carnival lovers. He further qualifies his comments by stating that he is basing it on what other passengers say, then ends by inviting people with other cruise lines as their favorites to respond. Come on, how much more fairness do you want?
Also, you have said you would never go on Carnival, so how do you know that he is wrong?
And, dude, I so hope that you do not have a problem with authority figures, especially given your calling!
Marty
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Hombre, I have been on six Carnival cruises in just over two years. I can safely say the only night that the party atmosphere comes out is Deck Party night. Yup, ONE night of the cruise only, and even then it is FAMILY fun, not drunken fools and college kids....

I was on the Conquest last February and I can safely say that 50% of the passengers were well over the age of 50 and NOT into partying....

The moderator has an opinion, he can say what he wants, but the fact that ALL cruise lines have forums is a good sign that it is equal opportunity for all and not just about Carnival...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I think Marty is 'right on' in her posts.

The Bloggers cruise did cater to 'lovers' of John Heald's Carnival. No doubt. I don't consider myself in that group ( I personally lean towards RCL), but Carnival was a fantastic cruise line for those five days for sure. They offer a great value for the cruise $. Also since CCL has more ships in Texas I'll be taking advantage of them.

I think Paul is very objective in his comments.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
First Mate

colorcrazie, with all due respects, that last comment was low. i maintain a right to have issues with authority figures, and , again with respect, paul motter is not an authority figure as far as i go. i feel no obedience to his views or the views of anyone else on this board. as i am sure you do not, too. please rethink what you believe my motives to be. if obedience to the voices of 'authority' in this board is a qualification to be included, then it it a sad day indeed. no one needs to convince me of the right line to travel, or the frivolities they offer. i only offer opinion, nothing more. and i maintain that right no matter what my vocation, as so do you.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
First Mate

and 'dude' is not a title i usually respond to.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. And independent thought is an asset for sure.

I consider myself somewhat of a 'maverick' hombre. Nothing wrong with that. But on the Bloggers cruise I did find myself conforming more to the norm. There was so much going on it seemed easier to go with the flow as there was so much activity. And the Bloggers group wasn't that big. Not as big as the press would make one believe. But most were Carnival loyalists for sure.

//I'm enjoying my tres leches cake today.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
and 'dude' is not a title i usually respond to.
Out here in California we don't consider "dude" a title of disrespect. In fact if I didn't like you I would never call you dude. I would call you sir. The more I dislike someone the more formal I become. I missed the article that caused the fuss so I won't comment on that. I just have saw a couple of people object to the term 'dude" so I thought I would throw my two cents worth in. Carry on dude.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel

TM
Impartial in what way? I agree that they should be impartial when treating those of us that participate on this site but I want to hear there opinions with respect to cruising; that is why I read their posts. blogs, and articles. If they didn't have an opinion, I could just as well read the brochures/websites from the cruise lines.
Well here is an example the Boat or Ship thread was shut down, because a mod find it annoying. I loved that thread, there was no violation of the rules on that thread, that I could see. So I'm confused. The comment was
Quote:
This thread has lost its meaning and relevancy and has become a plaything. It's now locked.

Mike
I thought every thread on here was my personal plaything. Does every thread have to have meaning to be continued? Does this mean more then half of my posts should be deleted? A lot of my posts are playthings to entertain. I understand this is the Mods world and we just post in it. But occasionally I'm a bit confused by which thread are locked, which are deleted, and which are allowed to continue. So you asked "Impartial in what way?" I hope I explained which way. I still love this site and you will only get rid of me when the mods kick me off. I will post my two cents until that time.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Admiral

I was on the same Carnival cruise with Paul Motter and Snoozeman. I can say there was a lot of good clean fun. I really think labelling Carnival as the cruiseline full of nothing but party animals is passe and very much out of touch with reality. As a matter of fact after nine days on this ship I only heard of one situation with one person who was doing something incredibly inappropriate, and Carnival management dealt with it very quickly and nipped it in the bud. Most nights we all ended up sitting at the tables on the Promenade yawning before we finally gave up and went to bed. I think it's wonderful that Kuki and Paul share their cruise experiences with us. It opens our eyes to new things. I was very surprised by the Silverseas reports. I appreciate their opinions.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
First Mate

dear katlady, thanks for your message. knowing you are from california, well, i suppose that clarifies the 'dude' thing. but you were not the one who used it; it was colorcrazie, and i don't thing she used it as any sign of respectful adddress. and so i responded. in fact, i like you, too, and i appreciate your posts. thank you for 'petting me down.' but attacks can sometimes be too much. a discussion or a difference of opinion doesn't have to be an attack.
ps: as much as i felt alienated, i really want to continue coming to this board. as much as i feel it is 'owned' by carnival and the carnival crowd, i shall try to endure. peace
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
First Mate

Very good. It seems everyone has made nice ,so lets just move on shall we? Perhaps it's time to close this thread too.

<

Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Admiral

No, landlubber, I haven't made nice yet.

Hombre,
I lived in Los Angeles for 13 years. And, I used the term dude so that you would understand that the last line was meant as a joke. Please believe me when I say that there was NO disrespect intended. I am also accustomed to my pastor who has a very irreverent sense of humor. Sorry if I carried that over to you and thus offended.
head hanging,
Marty
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
First Mate

colorcrazie: forgiven and forgotten. we've all got bigger' fish to fry' than this. i now understand that 'dude' is not a term of derision on the west coast. end of. forgive me for overreacting. cruise on.
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Hombre,
I am also married to a musician, so current slang....even somewhat old slang, like dude...tends to slip into my vocubulary at times whether I want it to or not!
Glad we're okay again.
Marty
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:30 PM
First Mate

Now?

<