Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to jsp
Default First time cruise/Honeymoon

My soon to be wife and I are planning on taking our first cruise/honeymoon the middle of September. Of course we want it to be memorable for all the right reasons and after reading quite a few reviews, and posts on this site (which have been very helpful), I don't believe we are going in with unrealistic expectations. However, as naive as this may sound, are there any special considerations taken for newlyweds? If so, would it be best to bring this up with our travel agent or the cruise line, and can anyone recommend a good travel agent in the Portland, Oregon area?

Any other helpful hints would be welcome.

Thx!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Admiral

You don't get anything special being a honeymooner but you can make it special by buying the special cake and roses for your bride. You can also go to the newlyweds show and have some fun there.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Admiral

If you mention this is a honeymoon your TA "might" send you something nice. (Sorry don't know any in Oregon.) Of course you can do something nice for your new bride. Most cruiselines have a means to purchase special items pre-cruise such as flowers, champagne, and gift baskets. Some also have special restaraunts (extra cost) that you could set up a romantic dinner. You could also request a table for two for you dinners if you would like.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Admiral

MANY years ago, hubby and I honeymooned on a cruise. Hoping for some special treatment, we found that that particular cruise had been advertised in Bride's magazines as a special honeymoon cruise deal and we had been married on the same day (the day prior to sailing) as 600 others! BUt, THE newlywed game was a real hoot and they did have wedding cake for all of us. Turned out rather fun.
Marty
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info guys, I was just curious. Being new to the cruise experience we weren't sure what to expecect after watching to all those love boat episodes back in the day!

Jeff
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp
Thanks for the info guys, I was just curious. Being new to the cruise experience we weren't sure what to expecect after watching to all those love boat episodes back in the day!

Jeff
Most cruise lines have packages you can buy for honeymooners. For example, Holland America has a "Just for Us" package where I think you get some perks such as a table for two in the traditional dining room (something that's often hard to snag without staying in the upper level accommodations or having lots of days sailed with the line), dinner one evening in the specialty restaurant onboard, cabin decorations and maybe a day at the thermal spa. You probably also get some sort of a cake in the dining room one evening.

But few cruise lines will "give" you anything ... unless maybe you did your wedding onboard and brought a large group of people along with you. Then you might get some special group amenities, such as a cabin upgrade, etc., as a result of the group booking.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Jeff
As a former "Love Boat" junkie, I can say with certainty that you should not expect anything similar! Things will be different, some better, some not. Cabins are a lot smaller unless you are going for the very expensive suites, you will rarely see the captain....he is busy making sure the ship gets where it should be, etc.
BUT, it is a great way to honeymoon. A walk on deck at night is about the most romantic moment you can ask for.
Enjoy! And, congratulations.
Marty
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ahhhh, if only our problems could be wrapped up in 60 minutes, like on the Love Boat!! Back in 90, it was the Love Boat reruns, that made me book my 1st cruise!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Admiral

The Love Boat crew was pretty awesome. Like 5 people ran the whole cruise. Captain, CD, purser, doctor and bartender, what more do you need!

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Admiral

First of all, congratulations. Certain lines do have honeymoon packagages you can purchase to have sent to your stateroom. Definitely go for the best stateroom you can afford. If you can afford it, at least a premium balcony.

As far as finding a good travel agent that specializes in cruises, go to cruising.org, click on Vacation, then click on Find A Travel Agent and then put in your zip code(If this doesn't work you can try your area code as well). Look through the list for ones with an ACC, MCC, ECC, or ECCS certification. These agent have specialized training as well as personal experience in cruises.

For an agent to get an ACC certification, they will have had to go through 80 credits of training, 2 cruises, 5 shipboard inspections, and have sold 25 cabins. Any agent above that is obviously better trained so you will be in good hands with anyone with an ACC or above certification. Also, a piece of advice. Get insurance and get it early. You would be amazed how often people don't buy it and end up needing it.

Please, do enjoy your honeymoon and the rest of you life together.
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Yeoman

Jeff, since it's your honeymoon, is it important for you to eat with just your wife and not other people too?

If it is, choose a cruiseline where you decide that (=NCL)!

If that's not important for you, I'm sure that you will enjoy a cruise on almost any cruiseline!

Congratulations!
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Admiral

first off congratulations. A good resource to find a travel agent is word of mouth and the local better business bureau. You can also find out what types of honeymoon packages the cruise lines offer on their web sites.
Have you picked your cruise yet? if not you really should get on it, time has a way of getting away from you. Another great resource is our Cruise Bargain section, click on Cruise Bargains on the blue banner at the top of your screen
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Beginner

Well, I'd like to thank everyone for their help! We have decided to book the Carnival Splendor and after an exhaustive search I have found a travel agent. We are booking an 8C balcony stateroom and I'm currently in the process of purchasing trip insurance and making flight arrangements, as it seems cheaper to do this on my own. I would have not had the first clue in any of this had it not been for all of the information I've received from this forum. Hopefully our first cruise will be a memorable first of many memorable firsts!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp
Well, I'd like to thank everyone for their help! We have decided to book the Carnival Splendor and after an exhaustive search I have found a travel agent. We are booking an 8C balcony stateroom and I'm currently in the process of purchasing trip insurance and making flight arrangements, as it seems cheaper to do this on my own. I would have not had the first clue in any of this had it not been for all of the information I've received from this forum. Hopefully our first cruise will be a memorable first of many memorable firsts!

Thanks,

Jeff
Ah a West Coast Cruise you picked a good ship, brand new. You will cruise out of Long Beach going to Cabo, PV and Maztlan (SP?). Cat 8C is nice. The 8S and 8P room are a new catogories on the Splendor and Dream. This description is from Travelociy for a 8S/8P. I think the difference is 8S is on the Spa deck and 8P is on the Panorama deck. I'm not 100% sure on that.
Quote:
This stateroom gives you private access to the spa, extra spa amenities, and unlimited access to the Thalassotherapy pool, the Thermal suite, and more. It also includes a private balcony, two beds, carpeting, ample drawer and closet space, private facilities

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
First of all, congratulations. Certain lines do have honeymoon packagages you can purchase to have sent to your stateroom. Definitely go for the best stateroom you can afford. If you can afford it, at least a premium balcony.
A Premium Balcony on the Splendor would be a 9A the room is the same as on 8A-8S, but it has an extended balcony. 11 and 12 are suites; the rooms are bigger.

Farechase.yahoo is a good site for checking air fare http://farechase.yahoo.com/?fr=srch_more However, Southwest is not on that site so I would check them too. I Hope that helped.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994