Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Admiral

Default Worst travel agent experience?

I would like to hear some other people's worst experiences with travel agents and how they dealt with it. I have used my first one recently, and this guy, after I told him my budget, keeps insisting on an air/sea package. Apparently this guy is getting greedy, as I know the only way travel agents get a commission on airfare is to book through a cruise line or for international flights. And to beat it all, this guy doesn't have any fashion sense either(I have seen pictures he proudly displays on his company website of him in a yellow tuxedo). Bottom line, I will not be recommending him to anyone else.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Admiral

My worst one was when doing an Alaskan cruise with a good friend. I lived in Los Angeles, she in Miami, so we flew there separately. I got to the airport only to be told that the tickets my TA gave me were actually for a different airline, owned by the one on my ticket. I have mobility problems and had to haul my stuff through LAX to the right airline. Only to find out that my flight had been rescheduled....3 hours earlier! I was furious. Airline agent called my TA, who tried to claim that she had told me about the change (she had not), then added insult to injury by saying that the fact that I was so old (I was 52 at the time) and had a bad memory was not her fault. Luckily the airline agent didn't believe her either and got me on a flight that allowed me to get to the ship on time.
When I got back, I wrote a furious letter to the TA owner. Never got a reply. Never dealt with them again.
The scarey thing was that I had been using this TA company for years. They just hired someone new who screwed up.
I have no idea whether they had any fashion sense.....didn't care.
Marty
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Admiral

I just mentioned the fashion sense because I had seen photos.
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
My worst one was when doing an Alaskan cruise with a good friend. I lived in Los Angeles, she in Miami, so we flew there separately. I got to the airport only to be told that the tickets my TA gave me were actually for a different airline, owned by the one on my ticket. I have mobility problems and had to haul my stuff through LAX to the right airline. Only to find out that my flight had been rescheduled....3 hours earlier! I was furious. Airline agent called my TA, who tried to claim that she had told me about the change (she had not), then added insult to injury by saying that the fact that I was so old (I was 52 at the time) and had a bad memory was not her fault. Luckily the airline agent didn't believe her either and got me on a flight that allowed me to get to the ship on time.
When I got back, I wrote a furious letter to the TA owner. Never got a reply. Never dealt with them again.
The scarey thing was that I had been using this TA company for years. They just hired someone new who screwed up.
I have no idea whether they had any fashion sense.....didn't care.
Marty

A company is only as good as the people that work for them and that person has cost the TA company one loyal customer and maybe others.
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I make it easy for the TA, I go in prepared. I know the dates, ships, and cabin preferance. However, one agency I dealt with dropped the ball multiple times.

First problem--I booked 10 months out and I paid my deposit and the agent was so busy she said she would email me my receipt/proof of payment for the deposit. I waited six weeks..I emailed the agency to find that agent left and someone else took over my file.

Problem two--the agent I was given was so busy he couldn't get the ship name right, the dates right, and he was so busy with other clients I was low on the list because I was still a fair waits out for my departure or I wasn't spending enough money at the agency...

Problem three--I asked for a flight deviation and said that I was ready to pay the $50 and whatever the different would be to get a better flight (other than ared eye). Well, he called, said it was possible to do the deviation on the flights I wanted and that it would cost me a total of $160 more. I said YES to it and for Carnival to charge my credit card. I waited, and waited. Needless to say the date that they set the flights came faster than waiting for them to change the flights. It was never changed and my card was never charged. I called and asked why and he didn't call Carnival to do the change...UHM hello!!!!!! Carnival booked me the red-eye flight to Miami via Toronto. The air deviation price jumped from $160 to $300 if I wanted to change to the United flight.

The agent wondered why I opted for edocs vs paper. Gee, I wonder why. They screwed up often enough that I didn't want THAT to get screwed up as well!!!

I did find a angecy that is very good and the ladies who work there are firnedly and listen to what I want! I did end up using a PVP for my Jan 2010 cruise because when I went to go book at the agency Carnival's agents (three of them) insisted the sailing was chartered when the day before it was still open for bookings). I called and got a PVP who knew what they were talking about and I didn't want to get the run around again, I booked it!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
First Mate

I guess I'll stick to booking myself.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For the most part, I have had no issues.....but in my early years, I uzed to deal with a well known, west coast agency for several cruises. My hreat agent left, and I got a not so great one...

I went to an open house locally, and decided to change agents . When I called to have them transfer the booking, they didn't even care enough, to ask why, or did I have a problem, etc.....I thought they should have asked me why I wanted to change..I think they dropped the customer service ball...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator