Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Default NCL or Celebrity for fall European cruise

Have been researching and debating which cruise line would best benefit myself, hubby, and teen age daughter this fall or even next fall for a european cruise. We want comfort, a great experience, and everyone (including the teenager) to be happy. NCL has larger suites in the same price range as a balcony on Celebrity. But the reviews I have read are more favorable for Celebrity. I sure could use some advise.
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Why not check out some of Kuki's reviews for NCL ships...he has been on several, a transatlantic, and I Med that I remember off hand....he loves the line...I sailed the Gem on a media cruise and really enjoyed it...I also have sailed Celebrity, and we had food and service issues, so read some reviews of both lines, at each cruise line forum and, see if that helps...I bet it will Good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 8th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Admiral

For a European Cruise, especially a Mediterranian one you can't beat a suite on Celebrity. You get a private butler with a suite on Celebrity. Nice touch. Both lines are similar price, but remember the extra restaurants on board NCL's ship will cost a bit. You also have Pizza Delivery on Celebrity.
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
For a European Cruise, especially a Mediterranian one you can't beat a suite on Celebrity. You get a private butler with a suite on Celebrity. Nice touch. Both lines are similar price, but remember the extra restaurants on board NCL's ship will cost a bit. You also have Pizza Delivery on Celebrity.
A suite on Celebrity will cost considerably more than a suite on NCL. As the OP stated they can get a suite on NCL for the same price as a standard balcony cabin on Celebrity.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Admiral

Well, I have been comparing alot and the prices were similar for what I compared. I guess it depends on itinerary. I also typically travel in the off-season.
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

You don't have to pay extra for dining on NCL. It is merely an option. We really enjoyed the food in the main dining room so much that we only did a "pay extra" once. I was disappointed. Had rack of lamb in the Bistro, had it the next night in the dining room and it was better in the dining room.
Marty
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Having never sailed NCL I am somewhat reluctent to chime in ...
However we used Celebrity for our Mediterrean cruise(Millennium) and for our Panama Canal Cruise(Summit)..

Very pleased we did on both itineraries..
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Default NCL/CELEBRITY

We have as of yet never sailed NCL Freestyle.. but we do not expect it to be of the same quality of Celebrity. We have cruised Celebrity on three t/a cruises and if it;s going from Barcelona.. your in for a treat.. The only ports I am bored with are the Canary Islands..
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Admiral

I don't sail Celebrity, but maybe someone else can answer the OP's question about their teenager and what activities there might be for that age group.
Marty
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I don't sail Celebrity, but maybe someone else can answer the OP's question about their teenager and what activities there might be for that age group.
Marty
I'd be interested in this answer also. I want to do a mediterranean with my 19 year old daughter. We've done several caribbean cruises and had a ball, but now feel we're ready for more. Ours would be a summer cruise too. I just want to be sure there would be plenty to kep her entertained.
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Default CHANGES

Well, we will be doing the NCL Gem the end of November on a trans-atlantic cruise so I'll get a better idea of the new "free style"...Just saturday we booked another Celebrity.. the Equinox..the Holyland cruise..on what I consider a mega ship.. Right now if you haven't made a decision go for NCL.. alot of thigns she will love..
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:01 AM
First Mate

I'm partial to Celebrity, but I've sailed NCL to the med -- just couldn't beat the price. I don't care for freestyle, and I think the food in the non-pay dining rooms is inferior to Celebrity. We also like to dance to live music, and that is not an option on NCL -- dance floors are given over to pay restaurants. All that being said, Europe is so port intensive that by the time we got back to the ship, we were pretty spent, anyway. NCL does have the best entertainment in the theatre of any ship I've sailed.

You can't go wrong either way, so if it were me, and price were a factor, I'd go for the best deal.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Admiral

The worst Celebrity cruise is better than the best NCL cruise in my humble opinion.
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Yeoman

Chuck Palm, can you tell us some of the bad things you have experienced on your cruises on NCL? It can be good for the OP to know why she shall avoid NCL.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbird View Post
Have been researching and debating which cruise line would best benefit myself, hubby, and teen age daughter this fall or even next fall for a european cruise. We want comfort, a great experience, and everyone (including the teenager) to be happy. NCL has larger suites in the same price range as a balcony on Celebrity. But the reviews I have read are more favorable for Celebrity. I sure could use some advise.
Go with Celebrity which is a much nicer class of ships, especially the Soltice class of ships: "Soltice," "Equinox," and "Eclipse." We have been on NCL, RCL, Princess, HAL, and Celebrity, a total of 11 cruises, and we have come back to Celebrity. You will NOT be disappointed!
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Admiral

As the original post was some two years ago I wonder if they went & what they chose, I wish people would come back & say.
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Admiral

NCL is probably better for your daughter-more things geared for kids to do on NCL-but I suspect you would prefer Celebrity-Celebrity is just classier. NCL is however a very good BUDGET line. Food is only so-so on NCL-much better on Celebrity-but NCL does have fairly decent shows in the show lounge.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014