Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Cozumel is hurting and it could get worse.

I had three emails from Cozumel today. People there are not doing well without tourists as the economy is basically tourist oriented. They intend to ride out the problem but today something happened to create somewhat a panic. Evidently there was a meeting between representatives of the Cruise Lines and local representatives. Plans were for the cruise lines to return to Mexico during the week of June 15th; however, if the CDC here in the USA doesn't rescind the travel warning to Mexico the cruise lines will feel obligated to extend it's ban of Mexico for months to come. This will ruin many tour operators and businesses in Cozumel and elsewhere.

I feel for the people of Cozumel and hope that cruise ships will return in mid June. There are certainly more cases of H1N1 here in Texas than in Cozumel yet we are not banning travel here.

It's a real shame people have to suffer because of IMHO an unwarranted ban to Mexico.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to karen2cruise

Thanks for the info. This whole flu panic can be blamed on the media. I hope our government wises up and removes the travel advisory.

Conquest

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Admiral

While I honestly believe that this was not a media induced panic, it does seem ridiculous to focus on the country where it started and totally ignore the fact that it is spreading all over the place, including the US. On the other hand, there may be factors that we don't know about or the CDC isn't quite sure about yet. Have to wait and see.
In the meantime, good wishes to the residents of Cozumel. And remember that when we do get to come back, we'll be spending our dollars like crazy!
Marty
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

This whole flu problem was way overblown. Yes, a few people died from it, but normally during flu season worldwide several thousand people die from complications. Most who did die had compromised immune systems and couldn't fight off a new strain of flu.

I have a suspicion that the ships will be back on the next sailing possible and Mexico can get bakc on it's feet..

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
While I honestly believe that this was not a media induced panic, it does seem ridiculous to focus on the country where it started and totally ignore the fact that it is spreading all over the place, including the US. On the other hand, there may be factors that we don't know about or the CDC isn't quite sure about yet. Have to wait and see.
In the meantime, good wishes to the residents of Cozumel. And remember that when we do get to come back, we'll be spending our dollars like crazy!
Marty
I agree with you -- with the flu all over the world, now, what's the deal? We have 5 or 6 deaths in Illinois, and while the media wants to say all had underlying health factors, somehow a healthy pregnant woman, and a guy with gout, don't qualify, for me, as the kind of underlying health factors we tend to think about as complicating the flu.

I think Mexico has even worse tourism problems with the drug wars now in the heart of Acapulco with shoot outs. Cozumel, maybe, the mainland? I don't think so.
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Captain

Royal Caribbean was already suppose to have went back. That what it said on there website. Did they not go? Or are you just talking about the other lines?

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Captain

By now the cruise lines have been back a few weeks.
Any word from you friends in Cozumel to how the economy is
bouncing back?
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Admiral

No I haven't heard personally, but it should be better. I need to see if I can go down to check it out! Thanks for asking, I'll email and ask.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Already got a reply. I'll share:

Hi Ray,

What can I tell you that Cozumel has not been the same since the flu scare. Ships are comming back, but people are not buying like they use to.

I am still here with my store, but there is alot of business that are gone. Martin your barber is hurting much more. He has had another barber come in to try to help him with the rent.

I see that most of the times that I go by Martins he is sitting there waiting for clients.

I hope it picks up soon and we don't get any hurricane's this year.

Are you comming soon?

Future Cruises:
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:04 AM
First Mate

Interesting that cruisers are not spending in port. I would not have expected that. I would have thought if you could still afford to cruise in this economy, you could still afford to spend -- apparently, not. That does not auger well for the future.
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Captain

I think everyone everywhere is hurting from the economy. Hopefully it will get better soon!

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Even though we are cruising this year, we plan on cutting back on extras, like tours and souvenirs. Just not sure when the economy will turn around and prefer to be cautious...without giving up our primary luxury, which is the cruise itself. We have been to all of the ports on the itinerary, so don't feel the need to take excursions and have enough Mexican silver, etc. to last a lifetime!
Marty
Old July 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Captain

Hi, ya'll. Just off the Ecstasy this morning (no shootings, though I did overhear one pretty heated discussion after a husband received his onboard bill this morning )

In Cozumel the merchants told me that there are 16 ships per week now but as Snoozeman's friend said, they are not spending as much as before. I noticed when roaming the shops near the pier, that there were not many shopping bags to be seen. Not even a lot of people in the shops. It also seemed that there were many more people saying they were just going to the beach on their own.

I think people are holding onto what they've got. I know I am.