Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ridingarrett
Default Watching rates

3 friends and I have booked a cruise leaving Sept 19 to Bermuda, and I know I've read on here before to watch the prices for droppage, but how do I go about getting the reduced price if the price for our room has dropped? Just curious, really, because it hasn't as of now.. but it would be nice to know how to go about it if it did. TIA!

one of the Hags of the Sea!!

Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore, September 19, 2009!
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

One key is when you receive the cruiseline emails about a Fare sale. Check your price when it starts.

When you are 60 days or less til your cruise, then start to check more frequently. If the ship needs to fill the cabins you will see rates drop as it gets closer to sail date.

Same as if you are watching your airfare rates. Just one word of advice for that. Clear out your cookies so that you the airline site you were searching on is not tagging you as being on the site before by keeping you in the old rate you initially looked at.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Fabulous! Thanks for the info!
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Admiral

If the price drops follow through with who ever booked your cruise (TA or cruise line). That is where your help will come from.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Make sure you compare apples to apple though, and, good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Beginner

I just got a $300 credit for a price drop this morning. First time ever. Not sure that I ever checked before but you can believe I will be checking in the future!

I happened to be on line last night on the RCI website, and noticed that for my cruise date and room type, the price showing was $100 less per person that what I had paid in full just last week!

It was about 11pm, so I sent an email to my travel agent to check on that for me and see if I could get the lower price. After calling the cruise line, she found out that the price was even lower than what was being reflected on the website - $150 less. So I just got $300 credited back to my credit card.

I would just periodically check the rates, especially as you get closer to cruise time. If there are lots of empty cabins, the rates are more likely to drop as they try to fill up the cruise.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
First Mate

I have noticed the cruise portion of my Alaskan cruisetour dropped over 1k. But, when I check the cruise tour price, it is still the same.

My guess is I'm out of luck. Any info from my cruisemates?

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Agreed to keep checking prices periodicaly as the countdown becomes closer. My final payment was due this past Friday. An hour later I checked just for the Heck of it. Needless to say, I submited a price claim form thingy and am waiting for aproval. I should be getting a $95 per person OBC..
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've already paid for the cruise... so we're done paying.. but I'll keep an eye on the rates... where does one find the form to submit to ask for a reduction??? On RCL website somewhere?? I looked, but didn't see it. Of course.. I probably had my glasses on the top of my head instead of in front of my eyeballs at the time...
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrobb
Agreed to keep checking prices periodicaly as the countdown becomes closer. My final payment was due this past Friday. An hour later I checked just for the Heck of it. Needless to say, I submited a price claim form thingy and am waiting for aproval. I should be getting a $95 per person OBC..
I've already paid for the cruise... so we're done paying.. but I'll keep an eye on the rates... where does one find the form to submit to ask for a reduction??? On RCL website somewhere?? I looked, but didn't see it. Of course.. I probably had my glasses on the top of my head instead of in front of my eyeballs at the time... Rolling Eyes
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingarrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrobb
I've already paid for the cruise... so we're done paying.. but I'll keep an eye on the rates... where does one find the form to submit to ask for a reduction??? On RCL website somewhere?? I looked, but didn't see it. Of course.. I probably had my glasses on the top of my head instead of in front of my eyeballs at the time... Rolling Eyes
I booked thru Carnival cruiselines and they have said online form. I'm not too sure about RCL. Probably the best bet is to contact them directly
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Captain

Yes, contact RCCL directly for any pricedrop UNLESS you booked through a Travel Agent. Then you must go through the Travel Agent to get the pricedrop. RCL policy.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover
Yes, contact RCCL directly for any pricedrop UNLESS you booked through a Travel Agent. Then you must go through the Travel Agent to get the pricedrop. RCL policy.
Thanks! Yes, I booked thru the RCL website.. so I'll contact them directly if I see a price drop... does the drop have to be on their website, I wonder.. or can I ask if I find it ANYWHERE cheaper??? I know.. just a barrel of questions... TIA!
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Captain

I am not completely sure of this --- only about 90% sure:
The pricedrop has to be on their website.
Those other prices you are seeing are probably discounted by the travel agency -- not RCL and RCL won't honor those prices.

Travel agencies aften buy up blocks of cabins -- sometimes 50 at a time -- and then will discount to sell them. But it really has nothing to do with RCL.

That being said --- it never hurts to ask, especially if you find a good deal and in this economy, who knows?

Rules were made to be broken.

RCL also said fuel supplement would be given back as OBC in certain instances but I read of a cruiser who complained and got a check instead so give it a try!

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas