Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID
Default Where to eat while in Tampa

I can not believe I am posting a question like this since I study each area exceptionally well, reading reviews of eateries, watching food network travel channel, etc.

Where is a great place to eat?

I heard of a cute little eatery called Keegans. It is supposed to have some good food not that expensive. It was featured on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. Has anyone else eaten there?

What do you like or where do you go?

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Admiral

I haven't heard of that one. When we are in Tampa, we like to go to Ybor City. Lots of restaraunts and entertainment. Or, if you have time and want to see a bit of the area, take the Courtney-Campbell Causeway over to Clearwater, then on in a straight line to Clearwater Beach. Frenchy's has several locations and good seafood and Shepherd's has a killer buffet right on the water. Feels like a cruise ship to me. Since we live closer to the beach, I really don't know the other places in Tampa proper. Oh, and right near the pier is an area with restaraunts and music. Can't remember the name, sorry. I don't get out much!
Marty
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Admiral

You need to be careful where you go in downtown Tampa. It’s not the safest city anymore and Ybor city during the week can be scary due to the crime and lack of police. Pay attention to your surroundings.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Actually downtown Tampa, and Ybor City are pretty much like any other large city as far as crime goes. Just be aware of your surroundings. (I don't worry about it at all during the day)
Give us an idea of what kind of dining you're looking for. Steak, Bar-B-Que, Seafood? Steak, I'd recommend Berns Steakhouse. Presidents always go there when dining in Tampa! It's quite unique, and all the food is EXCELLENT! In Ybor I'd recommend Columbia Restaurant! Spanish food, and once again, always visited by "those in the know". It's been there a long, long time, and once again, food is EXCELLENT! There are others, of course, but once again, let us know what kind of food and experience you're looking for.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Admiral

I’m going off what my uncle told me. He’s a plain clothes officer in Tampa and said in the last year violent crime has been a big problem. Were staying in Brandon before the cruise. I’ve only been in Tampa once so I’m no expert. Just like Chicago I’m sure there’s good parts as well as bad parts of the city. Just be on your toes and know where your going.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I am a major foodie. I LOVE all different types of cusines. I do a lot of recipe creation and just started into recipe contesting. http://dinner-desserts-more.blogspot.com/

Sky - I think I will mention Berns and Columbia to DH. HE ALWAYS loves a great steak.

DH is a LEO so when it comes to being on guard, it's 24/7. He always complains about not being able to have his piece where ever we go when we have to fly.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, Bern's is NOT cheap. You might want to find their website and check out prices. Supposed to be worth it, though.
The place I was trying to think of by the port is called Channelside. Hubby used to play in a band there. It tends to be trendy, though, so don't know if that is your style or not. I totally agree with the Columbian restaraunt. Yummy.
Marty
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl
I’m going off what my uncle told me. He’s a plain clothes officer in Tampa and said in the last year violent crime has been a big problem. Were staying in Brandon before the cruise. I’ve only been in Tampa once so I’m no expert. Just like Chicago I’m sure there’s good parts as well as bad parts of the city. Just be on your toes and know where your going.
I used to work at Tampa P.D., as well as Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office, but once again, feel that crime isn't all that bad. If you do go to the Columbia Restaurant, in Ybor City, (Actually very close to the Port of Tampa) be on your toes, and don't wander off the main streets there. Ybor City can get a bit "CRAZY" late at night, but not to worry. Berns Steak House is a bit pricey, but I agree, well worth it. Be sure to get a reservation if you go there, or you probably won't get in. The decor at Berns is unique, as well. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) says it's "Early Cat House".. You'll see when you enter the lobby.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Captain

Bern's Steakhouse is special. The decor as posted is early french cat house.

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

If you like wine it has one of the best/biggest winelists in the country. Aside from the cellar on site pictured they maintain a separate wine warehouse.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Bern's is still my favorite restaurant in the world. Great steaks, great side dishes, a wine list that can't be matched and a wonderful room for dessert.

It is not as expensive as other steakhouses (e.g., Morton's) but it is by far the best.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Bern's is still my favorite restaurant in the world. Great steaks, great side dishes, a wine list that can't be matched and a wonderful room for dessert.

It is not as expensive as other steakhouses (e.g., Morton's) but it is by far the best.
Nothing like a 40oz strip steak for 4 - $155. I remember having to explain to my boss I did not have a $155 steak but is was for me and 3 customers.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old June 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Berns is one of my accounts, as a computer engineer.. I got a call one evening, for a "system down" at Berns. The system is the one that allows the waiters/waitresses to input the orders to the kitchen, then figures and prints out the checks. When that system goes down, the wait staff goes crazy trying to do it all manually. The system is upstairs in the restaurant, and after I got it rebooted, and back on line, I started down the circular staircase only to run into about 20 of the waiters/waitresses giving me a "standing O". First time that ever happened!

Ken
"SKY"