Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Familiar Face

Default Repositioning cruises

How do you find repositioning cruises on the various lines? Some seem to keep them a secret.

In 2006, we were on Celebrity SUMMIT from Vancouver, to Alaska, then back thru Victoria, San Francisco, Catalina Island, and ending in Los Angeles. 14 nights, and the cost per night was cheaper than on any of the 7-night cruises. A real bargain. On the 7th night, I asked the Maitre De if the dinner menus from the first 7 nights would be repeated for the second 7-nights. NO WAY! Every night was different and excellent!

PapaBear
Greek Islands 1995
Norway 2002
Summit 2006
NCL Crown 2007
Gate 1 Danube Nov 2008
NCL Canada Sep 2009
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Repositioning cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
How do you find repositioning cruises on the various lines? Some seem to keep them a secret.

In 2006, we were on Celebrity SUMMIT from Vancouver, to Alaska, then back thru Victoria, San Francisco, Catalina Island, and ending in Los Angeles. 14 nights, and the cost per night was cheaper than on any of the 7-night cruises. A real bargain. On the 7th night, I asked the Maitre De if the dinner menus from the first 7 nights would be repeated for the second 7-nights. NO WAY! Every night was different and excellent!

PapaBear
Greek Islands 1995
Norway 2002
Summit 2006
NCL Crown 2007
Gate 1 Danube Nov 2008
NCL Canada Sep 2009
JUST LOVE REPOSITIONING CRUISES!! We have done three Celebrity from Barcelona to the US..RCI from Harwich to Boston, The NCL Sky their first Panama Canal from Florida to L.A., We find the days at sea very relaxing, prices are right and ports are often unusual.. Repositioning cruises aren't hard to find.. just check around the cruise sites..
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Repositioning cruises are usually in the printed brochures but are harder to find on the lines' web sites. You almost have to look ship by ship (i.e. here are the Alaska cruises, here are the Mexican Riv cruises - the repo must be in between).

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Look at the seasonal changes of itineraries, when the ships cross the cana, and Ocean to reposition for the season.

For example, every Oct, RCI has a ship, the Jewel for many seasons now, it leaves Boston, for a southern itinerary, and comes back to Miami, for her winter season....A ta, is the best person to make this information, available in a snap for you.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Familiar Face

(quote) For example, every Oct, RCI has a ship, the Jewel for many seasons now, it leaves Boston, for a southern itinerary, and comes back to Miami, for her winter season....A ta, is the best person to make this information, available in a snap for you.[/quote]

We went on this RC repo last year and we"re doing it again this year. It's on Jewel of the Seas and we love it. Great ship at a great bargain. 8)
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

The website www.vacationstogo.com is an excellent site to find repo cruises. In the box for "choose a region" scroll down to repositioning cruises. Hope this helps.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
First Mate

Default Repositioning Cruise

We like the repositioning cruises. Took the last one that Princess made out of the Galveston terminal to Europe and it was great. Also took a Princess out of Seattle a couple of years ago to the far east and it too was great. You are right about the prices. The only problem is getting back to the United States. One way airline fares may be high and if the ship stops at a non-major airline city that may mean another flight in that country to get to your gateway city. One has to factor in all these cost to see if it's a "great deal".
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Bill, you bring up a good point regarding the one way airfare. In fact, seeing this topic, I was hoping that someone could advise me if you have a preferred website to get good one way airfares?
Thanks!
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've found that RCI generally has the best fares for one way or open jaw flights. When we book a cruise, we also book airfare with RCI as we can cancel it anytime before final payment. We know what RCI is charging and keep shopping for better fares until final payment. If we find a better one, we book it and cancel with RCI.

We can speak only for RCI as we have not done any repo cruises with any other line.
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Passenger

GGolfer - thanks for the great information!
By the way, as a cat lover - I sure like your picture!
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltime
Bill, you bring up a good point regarding the one way airfare. In fact, seeing this topic, I was hoping that someone could advise me if you have a preferred website to get good one way airfares?
Thanks!
Many times the one-way airfare is more than the round trip. In those cases, I always buy round trip knowing I will never use the returning flight.

If you do this, however, be sure to set it up so your first flight is the one you fly and the returning flight is the one you skip. The airlines will cancel your whole itinerary if you are a no show for one of the flights. I learned this the hard way on a 4-leg trip where I chose to drive the second leg. When I went to check in for the 3rd, I was told my whole itinerary was cancelled due to the no show. I had to sweet talk the airline rep to reinstate the rest of my itinerary (which I had fully paid for) with pleas of ignorance (truth) on how that game worked.
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Passenger

SageCruiser, Ah....now, that is some good advice. Thanks!
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Also one-way tickets get scrutinized a little more carefully by Homeland Security

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Default AIR FARES

We are doing a t/a the end of November. have our flight to Rome..no problem.. then yesterday the airlines seem to be having a great sale..Well, when we figured out what it would cost to fly from NY to Boston (one airline wanted to fly us to Baltimore first)..and then adding the outrageous new baggage fees (two week cruise)..we decided with the hassle at the airports and TSA (who I detest with a passion)..that we would rent a car and drive..and probably be home faster than if we had taken a flight