Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Default ecruisestore.com and cruisecompete WARNING

Headsup Warning, something smells fishy at ecruisestore

We have used cruisecompete several times without problem until we bought a cruise through ecruisestore.com

It appears that they often double charge credit cards under their name or Galaxy Cruises instead of getting the cruise line to charge.

There are several threads starting up on fodor, cruisecritic and tripadvisor from other disgruntled customers with similar problems.

We had a lot of hassle with ecruisestore.com and finally our credit card company sorted it out (months later). We also canceled our creditcard and had it reissued to stop future billing.

I wonder how many people do not notice the double billing that goes on.

cruisecompete should not allow ecruisestore to provide quotes.

tags: ecruisestore cruisecompete review problem
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Normally I wouldn't leave a thread like this up - but in this case I have heard the same thing about this company.

I don't who they are. I just know I talked to another travel agent who has been sorting out problems with bad bookings there.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Thanks for leaving it in Paul. We don't want people getting ripped off.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Admiral

I too appreciate your leaving this up Paul. I've used "cruisecompete" a number of times, and have always been very happy with the agents, and results of using cruisecompete. As a result, I've recommended cruisecompete a number of times, and I'd hate to think that someone I sent to them got ripped off. THANK YOU!

"SKY"
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Just to be clear - we heard the bad news about the travel agency, not cruisecompete. I believe the original post included cruisecompete because that is where many people heard about this agency. We have said before that if you are going to use CruiseCompete (just as we said when we had a similar feature in Cruisemates) that you need to verify the authenticity of the agency before you do business with them, and with any agency you should always verify that your deposit and final payment go to the cruise line.

We heard that Holland America just happened to contact some of the agency's customers directly when they noticed final payments from more than one of them had not come in on time. Kudos to HAL for noticing an unusual situation and taking direct action.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Captain

Thanks for the public service of leaving this post up, Paul. Another star in CM's crown.
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Just a suggestion for a future article (but you may have already done this). Is to show people how to check and verify if a travel agency is a good agency or not. I have experience skip tracing so I know how to check the secertary of state (SOS) for corporations, county websites for DBAs or Liens, and the BBB (for customer complaints).

That is just for starters. Once I get going it kind be hard to stop. In general I need a real address (not a PO box) and a real phone number to call. I do a reverse check on the phone number to see if it matches the address. If anything looks out of line, I move on. I do these kind of checks for any company I'm spending quite a bit of money with.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Just a suggestion for a future article (but you may have already done this). Is to show people how to check and verify if a travel agency is a good agency or not. I have experience skip tracing so I know how to check the secertary of state (SOS) for corporations, county websites for DBAs or Liens, and the BBB (for customer complaints).

That is just for starters. Once I get going it kind be hard to stop. In general I need a real address (not a PO box) and a real phone number to call. I do a reverse check on the phone number to see if it matches the address. If anything looks out of line, I move on. I do these kind of checks for any company I'm spending quite a bit of money with.
Great advice! Thanks!

Old August 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Admiral

katlady,
Sounds like you could write this article for us?
Marty
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Admiral

I probably could. Sometimes when I read the information people put into posts I worry for them. Shoot google maps takes pictures of homes and puts them on websites. Check it out, go into google maps and put in your address then click on the picture that shows up. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl So once you find the address of the business put it in google maps and see what it looks like. That with give you a better idea for the kind of business you are dealing like.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds

This is the second post I read today about possible cruise scams. Thanks guys so much for all the info.
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:22 AM
First Mate

Default Scams

Thanks to each who took the time to post on this issue. This can save several of us money, time and frustration.