Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Default Shipping luggage ahead to pier.

In this time of limited luggage weights, and airline luggage charges, it would be wonderful if luggage could be sent ahead by the Postal service to the cruise peir. There it would await our arrival, and be placed in our cabins.

At cruise end, have it shipped home the same way. Passengers would not have to deal with more than carry-on luggage at the airport.

The postal service offers insurance, and delivery confirmation as well.

Just a thought.

Barb
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
First Mate

I always use the postal service to ship items home while still on my trip. Mostly it is the collectibles I have picked up as well some dirty clothes.

Depending on where you live, it can become very expensive.

Princess has a luggage valet system, as, I am sure, many other lines.

Right now my soon-to-be checked piece of luggage is weighing 42.2 lbs. and I'm not done packing! Yikes!

Sweet Sailing! and Flying!

Old August 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Admiral

As convenient as it may sound, I don't think it will catch on. Logistically it would require the line to setup an address for each port, and possibly each ship, you could ship to. They would have to create holding areas for each cruise. Now we add more chances for your stuff to get misdirected - USPS/UPS/FedEx, warehousers, then porters.

Then you have to pack and ship in time for your items to arrive at port before you do.

Besides, as Peg pointed out, shipping your suitcase is more than likely more expensive than the baggage fee you will have to pay with your airline.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
First Mate

Default Shipping Luggage

Several months ago our trip ended in Venice, Italy. We had been aboard the ship for 30 days and thought we would get rid of some of the luggage and ship the clothes home that we would not use over the next few days. My first problem was the size limit in Italy. I could not ship a suit case as it had to be broken down into boxes about 18 inches square. I then needed two such boxes to hold the contents of the one suit case. I shipped the two boxes at a cost of just under two hundred dollars. They arrived at my house in Texas in about five weeks. They were in perfect condition. In hind sight I probably would have been better off paying the airline, however on the bright side, I did not have to carry those two boxes around for the next ten days.
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Admiral

So I'm reading Peter Greenberg's Travel Detective. He is a big fan of shipping your luggage ahead of time. That way you don't have to lug it on the airplane. (Of course this makes TSA take a hard look at you now.) He mentioned FedEx and UPS and a few other carriers.

Since it is an older book I Googled "ship luggage" and got a huge number of hits. I took the first link (sponsored so maybe a little suspect) and poked around. For the DW & I to ship two 50 pound suitcases from our home to California, our next port, it would cost $230 each way. That is with shipping 5 business days in advance!

Maybe there are better deals out there. But unless I have to take something really large I think I'll stick with the airlines.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Admiral

I would be terribly nervous about getting the luggage onto the ship. The ports are not set up to store luggage, then distribute it to particular ships on specific dates. They could, but I imagine it would add extra costs if more than a few people did it. The piers are not owned by the cruise lines, but governed by the Port Authority in each location. I'm not sure who actually owns the port, but it is not like sending a package to a home or business.
Marty
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Marty,
I agree. I would only try this if I was shipping to a pre-cruise hotel, still not sure if I would feel to good about it. Maybe sending things back home like Bill A Belt did from Europe.