Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to burneyfunder Send a message via Yahoo to burneyfunder
Default Amount of children onboard during the school year

I have never been on a cruise, so I am wondering how many kids are on board during the"school year"? I see a lot of info about kid's activities, especially for Carnival. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You will find more kids onboard during a holiday, summer, etc. Although, I know around here some schools have all year school, so they get breaks during the year that the other schools don't. Generally, you will find less kids during the school year and even if there are kids, they normally are with the kids in the kids program. I've never had a cruise where too many kids were unruley.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
Familiar Face

It really depends on the time of year.Our first cruise was during Christmas break and there was I would estimate approx 200 children. When we went the next time we went in May prior to the school year ending and we probably saw 50 kids. Most are well behaved but as usual there are some that they are going to miss behave any time and place because they haven't been taught proper behavior when in public. This is why I like the adult only area on the RC ships. Now mind you I love kids that are well mannered but then I also love my quite time so I would head for the adults only area and rest and relax when I needed it. Again most children do attend the activities and behave but some just will not do as they should and some parents turn their kids loose to do as they want to without any supervision.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Admiral

At times when most children would/should be in school, you will still find a few aboard ships. Some of these kids are home schooled, and others are being "sprung" out of school for a week or so by their parents. I've never noticed enough children on any cruises taken during those times, to make the cruise anything other than enjoyable, yet, if you're taking kids on a cruise during those months, I think there will be enough other children aboard to make for a fun time for them, as well.

"SkyMaster"
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Passenger

Quote:
some parents turn their kids loose to do as they want to without any supervision.
I usually cruise with my grandkids and they are 12-8 years old. Call me overprotective, scaredy cat, anal retentive...whatever...but I could never do that for fear of one of them accidently going overboard or something else horrible!
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Admiral

We were on the Carnival Valor the first week of Oct and out of 3200 passengers it turns out there were 300 kids. Never once during the cruise did I think there were that many kids. Definitely was not a problem.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Default CRUISING CHILDLESS

Since we are seniors and have raised our family.. we try to cruise after school is back in session whether that is October, November or pre-vacation mid-May.. It's not that we don't like children.. we do have our own, but we have found and call me old fashioned.. that permissive parents let their children loose to run all over the ship..pushing elevator buttons for the fun of it, bumping into you without a "sorry".. Also our cruises of late are usually two weeks plus and there are few children. . of course we have run into well behaved children, but since we tend to do trans-atlantics.. for two weeks plus..there are few children...very few..
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Admiral

The longer the cruise, the fewer the kids on board. But, I have never been on a cruise where I felt that there were too many kids. I agree that some parents let their kids run wild, but sometimes a kind reminder to the kids is enough to fix it. Sometimes not, but always worth a try. Last resort, you can always resort to the fairy tale approach. Most fairy tales started as stories to scare kids into behaving. So, maybe remind them about the elevator troll.
Marty
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We were on the Liberty 10/3~10/10, and we were amazed at the amount of school age children onboard.Surprisngly, since I thought so many schools cracked downhard on taking kids out of school....all were well behaved, but still boggled my mind....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
We were on the Liberty 10/3~10/10, and we were amazed at the amount of school age children onboard.Surprisingly, since I thought so many schools cracked down hard on taking kids out of school....all were well behaved, but still boggled my mind....
In October many schools have a break for teacher conferences, teacher's union conventions and other "stuff". At least in Minnesota they do. The local school districts were off most of last week and other districts in the state are off this week. Go figure. When I was a kid we did get off for two days for MEA (Minnesota Education Association) conferences now it's a whole week.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I guess regions do vary, but considering in our area, kids were at the 6 week mark maybe, after having the summer off, that wouldn't happen around here.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Familiar Face

Default kids out of school

Parents think nothing of taking their kids out of school, you will find kids and more than you think. Most are well behaved, but the parents let them play in the elevators after the kids programs end for the night.