CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Porter Tipping? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/368230-porter-tipping.html)

brewtown September 23rd, 2009 01:42 PM

Porter Tipping?

I will preface by saying I always tip for good service and have prepaid tips on cruises several times.

I always have an issue as soon as you get to port. Is is necessary to tip the porter as they simply put your luggage on a cart? I have heard that if you don't they throw your luggage around,etc. Or the luggage won't get to your room,etc.

But I did hear that they were also paid very well on a salary and their wages were not tip reliant.

What are the thoughts on this.

Mike M September 23rd, 2009 02:17 PM

Re: Porter Tipping?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewtown
I will preface by saying I always tip for good service and have prepaid tips on cruises several times.

I always have an issue as soon as you get to port. Is is necessary to tip the porter as they simply put your luggage on a cart? I have heard that if you don't they throw your luggage around,etc. Or the luggage won't get to your room,etc.

But I did hear that they were also paid very well on a salary and their wages were not tip reliant.

You are basically correct. Most of the porters are longshoremen making a few extra bucks. Longshoremen probably make more than most people taking the cruise.

Even with that I still give $1-$2 per bag. I never want to "irritate" a longshoremen. :wink:

Take care,
Mike

brewtown September 23rd, 2009 05:41 PM

Re: Porter Tipping?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M
Quote:

Originally Posted by brewtown

You are basically correct. Most of the porters are longshoremen making a few extra bucks. Longshoremen probably make more than most people taking the cruise.

Even with that I still give $1-$2 per bag. I never want to "irritate" a longshoremen. :wink:

Take care,
Mike

Thanks Mike,you reiterated what I feel and I do the same thing...give a buck or 2 per bag. Just feels like extortion when I do it...but wouldn't want a bottle broke!lol :)

ready2board September 24th, 2009 10:02 AM

On our last cruise out of Orlando, our RCI shuttle bus driver unloaded all the bags from the bus and put them in a large pile of bags all waiting to be handled by the porters. There were no porters around so there was really no one to tip except we gave the driver a couple bucks because he was pretty good. So if there is no porter around, no worry on tipping them...I'm sure we're not the first that's happend to.

green_rd September 24th, 2009 11:49 AM

R2B - we have had the same experience when doing transfer from the airport.

ready2board September 25th, 2009 10:35 AM

Hey Green...Small world. I'm in Greenfield!

skymaster September 29th, 2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ready2board
Hey Green...Small world. I'm in Greenfield!

REALLY a small world! I grew up in Fortville, and my Dad was County Clerk of Hancock county years ago. I still return to Fortville for High School reunions, etc.......

"SKY"

billbelt November 26th, 2009 10:21 AM

Several good comments already posted. Getting by with a one dollar or two dollar tip to anyone is almost history as those you mentioned seem to want more. Five dollars a bag is approaching at docks, airports and hotels.Some of this is being driven by the high per bag cost charged by some airlines.

Paul Motter November 26th, 2009 11:04 AM

I have already said i have a HUGE issue with this. It is dishonest of these guys to "pimp" for tips - which is what they do when they say "I'm your porter and I'm making sure your bags get on the ships." No, the ship staff does that. They just get them to the security area.

There used to be info on the web about lawsuits they had about this in Miami, but I can't find it anymore. Apparently, the original dock manager in Miami was quite a well-known local character who got away with all kinds of stuff.

As I recall, they put the same signs (from Ft Lauderdale) up in Miami for a short time, but they were taken down after a union agreement. The agreement said the guys would not solicit tips - as I recall. Well, look what happened.

I have argued with these guys, and I have also tipped them. I dont think it makes any difference. I tipped them in Los Angeles and my garment bag arrived with all the hangers broken (expensive ones) - no one reimbursed me.

I personally would never give them more than a dollar. It's enough that they won't do anything mean to you, and you won't feel ripped off, either.

maimmi July 19th, 2010 08:23 PM

Tipping One Porter is better than tipping 5.

It has been a few years but in a trip I took around the world my luggage was passed 5 times in Egypt and I had to tip all 5 people or I am sure i would have regretted it! Tipping the Porter is like tipping the doorman at any hotel. They are the greeters! LOL Mimi