CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Why people don't buy trip insurance (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/368465-why-people-dont-buy-trip-insurance.html)

green_rd October 2nd, 2009 01:37 PM

Why people don't buy trip insurance

Several threads in these forums begin with some sad tale and then post after post pounds the hapless travelers for not buying trip insurance. I'll admit on our first cruise I did not buy travel insurance. As the time of our cruise drew near I began to think that it might be money well spent, so I called my TA and she told me the time was too close to the cruise and I couldn't buy insurance now - they would think I was looking or a cheap way to cancel. Whether that was correct or not is not the question.

Why don't people buy trip insurance? I'm sure there are many answers. The first thing that comes to mind is the most obvious; the money you don't spend on insurance can be spent on vacation - right? A penny saved is a penny earned.

But I expect the biggest reason is that the nature of the investment in a cruise, tour or (maybe) resort vacation differs from the typical vacation. So people just don't think that the insurance is necessary. On a typical vacation if I get ill before I go I call the airline and hotel and cancel my reservation. Even if the airfare is non-refundable it can be reused for a fee, and I may have to eat a night's lodging at the worst for canceling the hotel. And, I never spend a dime on food, entertainment, amusement park tickets, etc. If I need to cut my vacation short, the airport is still there and I can easily go home - or if my stay needs to be extended the same story applies.

Not so on a cruise. First, you have a very large sum of money wrapped in up in the cost of cruise itself. Second if you need to cut your trip short you are not anywhere near the airport where your return trip is supposed to start. And finally (but probably not last) you are probably in a foreign port and your health insurance may be of no value to you.

Just some thoughts.

ScurvyDog October 2nd, 2009 02:09 PM

Probably the most common reason is "It won't happen to me". :?:

Marc October 2nd, 2009 03:22 PM

My health insurance is good overseas and includes medical evacuation; therefore, I have stopped buying trip insurance.

HoustonTodd October 2nd, 2009 04:01 PM

Like Marc my medical insurance is perfectly good, and I have no reason to worry about the rest. I may not be the most travelled person around here, but I have spent rather extensive time in Israel and Jordan, cruises in the past and other such events and never have I bought, and never have I regretted not having, travel insurance.

ScurvyDog October 2nd, 2009 04:14 PM

Since my medical insurance is now with Obama-Care maybe I need to start looking for really good trip insurance. :shock:

Kamloops Cruiser October 2nd, 2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc
My health insurance is good overseas and includes medical evacuation; therefore, I have stopped buying trip insurance.

My insurance also is good overseas and includes medical evacuation.
The only problem is I have to pay the cost and submit a request for
payment to the company . They then determine what they have to
pay and send me the amount that I need to collect from the Gov't
Medical plan . The process can take up to 6 months to be resolved.
Then the limit is capped to only $200k for life. :roll:

Mike M October 2nd, 2009 08:46 PM

It's great if someone has a health insurance plan that covers them overseas.

The problem is that the vast majority of health insurance policies do not and people who are not covered believe they are.

I believe that the previous posters have verified their coverage with their insurance providers but if you "think" you are covered outside the country you need to verify it. Call your agent/provider and specifically ask them if you are. Believing or thinking you're covered is worthless. You have to know you are covered.

If you are covered that's great; you save a few hundred dollars on each cruise. If you aren't covered and don't take out insurance then you can lose a couple hundred thousand dollars. :shock:

Take care,
Mike

Marc October 3rd, 2009 03:55 AM

I concur with Mike.......verify. It is not enough to just have medical insurance, you need medical evacuation. The costs for medical evacuation, especially from distant spots of the ocean, can be enormous. On one cruise, we had a helicopter meet the ship off Spitzbergen at 79 degrees north. That helicopter to Longyearben and plane to Tromso had to be pretty pricey let alone the return to US.

Make sure you have good medical evacuation insurance. Investigate plans like from Medjet or Amex if that is the only insurance you are lacking.

Doopydozer, you make me glad I have US instead of Canadian insurance. Of course, that could all change. ;)

Donna October 3rd, 2009 05:41 AM

I think the majority of us have health insurance that does cover you out of the country, but something to check into just in case. Unlike Marc, most don't cover emergency medical transportation, which can run up into the thousands, so therefore, I always get the extra insurance.

Mike M October 3rd, 2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
I think the majority of us have health insurance that does cover you out of the country, but something to check into just in case. Unlike Marc, most don't cover emergency medical transportation, which can run up into the thousands, so therefore, I always get the extra insurance.

Donna,

I don't know if that was a typo or not. If it wasn't then I have to disagree. Most of us "do not" have insurance that covers us outside of the country. The vast majority of private health insurance policies do not cover you outside of the U.S. and Medicare does not cover you outside the U.S. or its Territories.

Take care,
Mike

Kamloops Cruiser October 3rd, 2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna

Most Canadian health insurance don't cover you outside of Canada or even other provinces . Our basic medical plan only covers you up to a $100CDN
per day for hospital visit . Private plans purchased by my employer covers you up to $500k CDN (lifetime limit) outside our province of residence.
That means travel in Canada and the rest of the world is very limited.
:idea:

Donna October 3rd, 2009 04:28 PM

Hi Mike,
Mine does cover you ourside the US, but first you have to pay for it, then submit the paid bills for re-embursement...I know, what if it was something major?? Once I had proof that my insurance either paid or didn't, then I sent it into the travel insurance company.

AIS October 15th, 2009 03:57 PM

Not quite correct on Canadian Medicare. Your Provincial MCP number is valid in all provinces, you will not be denied medical care for a doctor visit or emerg services as long as your card is valid and you have it in person. I had on occasion had medical services in other provinces and it wasn't an issue. . In my case Ontario billed Nova Scotia for my medical services.

For visits outside the country, get private medical insurance(Blue Cross etc)

Kamloops Cruiser October 15th, 2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIS
Not quite correct on Canadian Medicare. Your Provincial MCP number is valid in all provinces, you will not be denied medical care for a doctor visit or emerg services as long as your card is valid and you have it in person. I had on occasion had medical services in other provinces and it wasn't an issue. . In my case Ontario billed Nova Scotia for my medical services.

A lot depends on which province . Most provinces have there own rules.
In BC , companies like Blue Cross are the admin's for the provincal plan.
All charges go to them and they then bill the BC MSP .
They also deal with the extended benefits that they provide to
different companies.

AIS October 15th, 2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydozer
Quote:

Originally Posted by AIS

A lot depends on which province . Most provinces have there own rules.
In BC , companies like Blue Cross are the admin's for the provincal plan.
All charges go to them and they then bill the BC MSP .
They also deal with the extended benefits that they provide to
different companies.

Here is a quote from the Nova Scotia Dept of Health on travel out of Province but within Canada:

"If you are traveling within Canada, all provinces have signed an Interprovincial Reciprocal Billing Agreement (except Qu├Ębec for physician services). If you show your current provincial Health Card to the provider for medically necessary insured services, the claims will be paid by the host province. They will be reimbursed by your home province."

The point I am trying to make is for Medically necessary insured services(accident, sudden illness etc)you are covered by your Provincial Medi card.

Trip October 20th, 2009 08:07 PM

On my cruise on 10/3, a man collapsed at the beach on Grand Turk, and had to be dragged out from almost drowning. He was brought back to the ship, and, stabalized till a medivac plane could arrive from Miami. He was brought to the airfield, and, then med flighted.

The hotel manager told us, that he estimated the cost of all this was about $18,000. My insurance for my cruise was slightly less then a $100.00.. I strongly urge anybody to go to insuremytrip.com, figure out what would satisfy your needs, and just factor the small amount into your cruise quote.......seems less painful that way, it's a done deal, and peace of mind. Getting hit will a bill that could devestate you, is just so easy to avoid....

Donna October 20th, 2009 09:01 PM

I certainly hope that guy had travel insurance??

LisaK October 21st, 2009 11:06 AM

trip insurance isn't all about the medical eventhough that can be a huge expense- medical evacuation as the others have said.
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption and Bag Insurance are very good things to have, if you have to cancel your cruise for medical reasons and you don't have cancellation insurance and you are past final payment due date, then oh well.
We have had to use our baggage insurance on more than one occassion and were really glad that we had it, the cost of replacing damaged goods and clothing far outweighed the cost of the insurance