Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default Upsell Success & Cruises-n-More?

Hi all,
This is a long story but I'll cut it short ...
Basically, I have a cruised booked and final payment is in 5 days time. I then got a quote from Cruises-n-More for our cabin which was MUCH lower than I was paying.
I phoned CNM and then contacted my original TA to see if she could match it but she can't - she did reduce the price but is $300 more still.

Anyways, the reason I am undecided about changing to CNM is -
I will definately save quite a bit but I will lose some of this with conversion / fees going back on my CC if I cancel my first TA.
Also, I found her really easy to deal with and very helpful.
BUT , the final thing is - I think she would be OK to get to try for an upsell for me nearer sail date but I'm not siure about CNM with them being a 'quantity' agancy - don't mean to offend anyone here
Also, CNM say that if there is a price drop after final payment theres nothing they can do and can't give it to me BUT the other agent says that she would try for an upgrade for me if that happened.
I need to make a very quick decision on this but I just can't seem to

ANY help would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Upsell Success & Cruises-n-More?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe
Hi all,
This is a long story but I'll cut it short ...
Basically, I have a cruised booked and final payment is in 5 days time. I then got a quote from Cruises-n-More for our cabin which was MUCH lower than I was paying.
I phoned CNM and then contacted my original TA to see if she could match it but she can't - she did reduce the price but is $300 more still.

Anyways, the reason I am undecided about changing to CNM is -
I will definitely save quite a bit but I will lose some of this with conversion / fees going back on my CC if I cancel my first TA.
Also, I found her really easy to deal with and very helpful.
BUT , the final thing is - I think she would be OK to get to try for an upsell for me nearer sail date but I'm not sure about CNM with them being a 'quantity' agency - don't mean to offend anyone here
Also, CNM say that if there is a price drop after final payment theres nothing they can do and can't give it to me BUT the other agent says that she would try for an upgrade for me if that happened.
I need to make a very quick decision on this but I just can't seem to

ANY help would be appreciated!!
It really comes down to how good of a relationship you have with your current TA. A decent TA probably would not like, but would understand, why you would change your booking. $300 is a significant amount of money to save.

You do have to remember that a good TA is more than just someone who gives you the best price. No TA will always give you the best price. A good TA also gives you good service before, during and after your cruise. It is when a problem occurs and you need to contact your TA and have them go to bat for you is when you find out their true worth. You really have to weigh the cost savings with the relationship you have with your current TA. That decision is one that only you can make.

I have no personal experience with CNM but they are a legitimate seller of cruises.

Take care and have a great cruise whichever way you go.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Mike,
Thank you SO much for your reply!

I really should have said in my first post that I found the first agent through CruiseCompete so have had no dealings with her before either - it's just that she has been easy to deal with so far (although she lost a cabin she was supposed to have waitlisted for me - but she said that was because NCL didn't hold it?)

The guy I spoke to on CNM was 'fine' too - he answered all my questions and has been in constant e-mail contact since them. The only thing I'm afraid of is he will just be 'less interested' after I make the booking - not that I want constant attention or anything, it's just that I've read some bad reviews of CNM. It just seemed a little less personal but then again, I've dealt with 'personable' agents in the beginning who turned out to be less so when I needed their assistance with altering a booking etc.

I've agonised about this all evening and I think hubby has made the decision for me (couldn't stand watching me pulling out my hair anymore ) and I've e-mailed the first agent to say we want to cancel, and the second agent to say we want to book! ... Thing is, I've heard back from the CNM agent and not the 1st agent yet .... so the saga continues
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

You don't say what cruise line it is - if it is RCL or Celebrity they should give you price protection up untl the time the ship sails.

With Carnival you only get it if you booked with their early savers program.

If the CNM guy has been active since you first contacted him, he sounds fairly involved in what he is doing. I have had personal dealing s with the CNM management and I can say they are honest and intelligent people, but they are a bigger company (sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes not, right?)
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
You don't say what cruise line it is - if it is RCL or Celebrity they should give you price protection up untl the time the ship sails.

With Carnival you only get it if you booked with their early savers program.

If the CNM guy has been active since you first contacted him, he sounds fairly involved in what he is doing. I have had personal dealing s with the CNM management and I can say they are honest and intelligent people, but they are a bigger company (sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes not, right?)
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your post!
I should have said that the cruise line is NCL and the price I got is $900 less than the price on NCLs website so I'm not sure how that would stand?

In any event, I have now got my booking with CNM and the original agent has cancelled my original booking. So far the CNM agent has been good - I got my invoice this morning so that was quick enough.
I am going to ask him to try for an upsell for me nearer the date - all he can do is say no!

Thanks again!