Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Default WI-FI ON CRUISE SHIPS

hello fellow cruisers, just have a simple question I think. if a ship is wi-fi and you have a laptop how could there be a charge for internet useage and how would the ship know who to charge and how to charge. this might be a stupid question but might be using laptop in room 1 day and on the promenade deck the next. any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as we are cruising on the freedom nov.7th,2009
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: WI-FI ON CRUISE SHIPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee
hello fellow cruisers, just have a simple question I think. if a ship is wi-fi and you have a laptop how could there be a charge for INTERNET usage and how would the ship know who to charge and how to charge. this might be a stupid question but might be using laptop in room 1 day and on the promenade deck the next. any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as we are cruising on the freedom nov.7th,2009
Mikee:

When you attach to their wireless network their router automatically routes [b]all[b] traffic to their default gateway and sign on screen. The initial screen will have the "Sign In" information where you set up your account, username and password. Your username is usually your last name and cabin number. This is how they know who to charge. After your initial sign in and package selection you only have to enter your username and password to access the Internet. It is basically the same as how wireless Internet access for a hotel works.

They then charge you for the number of minutes you are online or deduct the number of minutes from a package you can buy at initial sign-on.

One thing to remember is to NOT close the sign out box that pops up after you login. This disconnects you from their wireless gateway and STOPS charging you minutes. I know many people who haven't done this and their 200 minute package was gone because all they did was close their browser and go to dinner.

If you do close the sign off window you can sign off by opening your browser and typing in: http://1.1.1.1. This brings the sign off screen back up and allows you to sign off.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
First Mate

thanks Mike M -- that was informative. I have never taken my lap top -- but maybe one day, and I am pretty computer challenged. So, OP, your question was appreciated.
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Some internet access on ship have a timer . If no activity is detected
for say 19 minutes the computer will be disconnected from
the network.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Beginner

Took a Viking European river cruise last year and had great wifi access at no extra charge, in the room so didn't even have to go to a common area. Very, very nice. Didn't even have to log in as I recall; just set the computer to automatically access the onboard wifi. Most other types of cruises, and cruise lines, charge an arm and a leg for wifi.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Unhappy WiFi

And remember -- this is not YOUR home wifi! This is satellite based and has many users on at a time, so speed usually ranges from slow to OMG waiting again! You can compose a few emails off line and then log on to send them, but other than that don't plan on doing a lot of web browsing at the rates they charge!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Familiar Face

The Carnival Dream has a pretty decent speed but it is dependent on time of day. I was satisfied with the speed with my 500 minute package.

I do not know about the other cruise lines or other ships, but on the Carnival Dream I used Skype, Tested out Pandora and surfed the web with this speed.
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Internet on cruise ships for guest are quite expensive but from next year this might change.
Today global satellite service provider O3b launched the first of its kind broadband solution O3bMaritime. This solution will provide cruise ship crew and guests with 100 times average Internet access rates at sea.
Through fast and affordable broadband internet cruise operators will be capable to significantly enhance surfing experience to all who board their ships. O3bMaritime service will bring unmatched experience compared with price and speed as well as stability offering aggregate of 500 Mbps bandwidth to every cruise ship or yacht.

source: Next Year Cheaper Internet on Cruise Ships | Crew Center
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Captain

Who says the cruise line will pass the savings to the consumer? That would be a lost revenue stream they would need to make up somewhere.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Admiral

We took my husbands laptop on our last cruise and tried to use the WiFi...we're not computer geeks and just couldn't get the hang of how to sign in etc. So we used the computers available on the ship...easier access. But as MercedMike said...it was "OMG, is there something wrong or is this just slow?" And you can't help be aware that after you sign on and it's queuing up, your paid minutes are beginning to tick off. So no long letters or casual chit chat.

We'd checked our emails and if I wanted to email our son or other family members...I composed my emails BEFORE I sat down at the computer, then I just had to type them in. Didn't want to waste my paid minutes thinking of what I was going to say.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:49 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post

We'd checked our emails and if I wanted to email our son or other family members...I composed my emails BEFORE I sat down at the computer, then I just had to type them in. Didn't want to waste my paid minutes thinking of what I was going to say.
That's the best idea and the route I choose. Did it on my ipad so connect, send, disconnect.
Then you pay 1-2mins to send an email and not $20.
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
That's the best idea and the route I choose. Did it on my ipad so connect, send, disconnect.
Then you pay 1-2mins to send an email and not $20.

This is exactly what we do. PLEASE PLEASE watch out because we were traveling near shore so we "thought" we were on our wireless card but in fact, we were on the ships WiFi. That $1000 charge was not pretty. Watch out!!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

You big city people are spoiled.....I use satellite every day in the country.
Welcome to my world.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Familiar Face

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
You big city people are spoiled.....I use satellite every day in the country.
Welcome to my world.
know what your talkin about...