Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Beginner

Default Help! 10-Day Cruise vs. 7-Day Cruise

I'm looking for advice from seasoned cruisers. My husband and I went on a 7-day cruise, HAL's Mexican Riviera, in January 2008. We had a great time and have been looking forward to another cruise since. We're planning a January vacation and one of the trips we are looking at is a 10-day cruise on Celebrity's new Equinox to the Caribbean. A new ship with a perfect itinerary for us - but it is 10 days and my DH isn't sure about being onboard that long.

Have you been on both cruise lengths? What can you tell us that might help us decide?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

We have been on a lot of 7 day cruises, and others up to 16 days. In my book, 10-12 days is ideal. It's a little more relaxed, partly because it seems so much longer. More importantly, it usually has more ports. My hubby agrees, although his first choice is the 10 day. If you like tht itinerary, I say go for it. Let us know, please.
Marty
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Go for the 10 day. You see more and different islands, have more time to enjoy the ship and just relax. Those extra three days make a big difference. My wife always says "See; If we were on a seven day cruise we'd have to be packing right now."

I really doubt your husband will get bored.

The perfect length for me is 12 days:

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Admiral

I too say "Go For It". If you liked the seven day aboard a HAL ship, you're going to LOVE 10 days aboard Celebrity! In fact, I'll bet you won't be ready go leave the ship when the 10 days are over. 8)

"SKY"
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Admiral

10 is better than 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Passenger

The longer the cruise the better!
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Help! 10-Day Cruise vs. 7-Day Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaeInCA
I'm looking for advice from seasoned cruisers. My husband and I went on a 7-day cruise, HAL's Mexican Riviera, in January 2008. We had a great time and have been looking forward to another cruise since. We're planning a January vacation and one of the trips we are looking at is a 10-day cruise on Celebrity's new Equinox to the Caribbean. A new ship with a perfect itinerary for us - but it is 10 days and my DH isn't sure about being onboard that long.

Have you been on both cruise lengths? What can you tell us that might help us decide?

Thanks for your input!
Our first cruise was thru the Panama Canal - 16 days
We did a B2B on the Mariner of the Seas - 14 days
Alaska - 14 days

Planned Panama 15 days 7& Alaska 14 days.

We have found that it takes about 3 to 4 days to settle in . Then we can relax for the rest of the time . Depending on where you travel from
airfare can be the same price as a 7 day cruise.
We live in Western Canada , a 7 day cruise costs the same as the airfare
to Florida or California.

If I had my way , when I retire I would cruise for 11 months a year and
visit family for the a month maybe two.

The longer the cruise the better.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Default SEVEN OR TEN DAYS

There is no doubt that everybody else is right... anything over a seven day cruise, ten, fourteen, twenty one.whatever is so far superior.. You have a chance to relax.. on a 7 day you no sooner get on the ship when your packing to go home.. My favorites are 14 day cruises with a two or three day pre-cruise and days at sea
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Admiral

I'm going to agree with the others. My last cruise was 14 days and it was wonderful. My next cruise is 7 days it will be hard to adjust. With a 7 day cruise you may have three ports in a row with no sea day to break it up. That can be difficult. With a longer cruise you have sea days to break it up so you feel more refreshed and ready to go into port. That makes the port experience better. Also check the times you are in port between the 7 day and the 10 day. I would think you have more time in port on a 10 day than on a 7 day. So the whole pace if a 10 day is more relaxed. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Help! 10-Day Cruise vs. 7-Day Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer
If I had my way , when I retire I would cruise for 11 months a year and
visit family for the a month maybe two.

The longer the cruise the better.
YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!!!!
We just got off Mariner of the Seas yesterday and I wanted to go straight to the "boarding" area and see if they had any rooms available for the next cruise. I was so ready to do a B2B even though the ports would be identical!!
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews