Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Passenger

Default Repositioning Cruises

We are looking at a possible repositioning cruise from Rome with a transatlantic (southern) crossing to Florida either Miami or Fort Lauderdale in 2010. Looking for any info/commentary/pro/con on such cruises.

Thks
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Default REPOSITIONING

Check out the Equinox t/a for 2010 the end of October. With the exception of one from Southamption many years ago all our t/a have been on Celebrity from Barcelona.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Admiral

I did the reverse of this cruise last year at the end of April. The crossing was very smooth and I loved the 5 sea days. My suggestion is to get a cruise that stops in Funchal (Madiera Island Portugal) it's a beautiful tropical island and a hidden gem.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Default east to west

ALTHOUGH we have cruised from Europe to the US...friends tell us US to Europe give you days at sea going over and then the ports where as the opposite bring you home rested..She also claimed the seas were rough going over from Florida.. IMO the weather in Europe in the fall is absolutely ideal and going down to Florida we had warm breezes all day and night...wonderful
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Admiral

I cruised from Miami to Rome and I didn't find the seas rough. On my Alaskan Cruise we had rougher seas. The weather in early May was wonderful, plus we didn't have to worry about flooding in Venice.

However, if I had to do it again I would cruise Rome to Miami, just to gain the hours on the crossing and have more time on the ship. We lost 5 hours crossing the Altantic Ocean, so going from Rome to Miami you would gain 5 hours.

At the end of the cruise we did take the train from Rome to Venice and stayed in Venice a couple of days (I wish it was longer). If your cruise doesn't stop in Venice my suggestion is to fly into Venice then take the train to Rome. The port is about 1 1/2 hours away from Rome so arrange a good transfer. If I had it to do again I would spend more money and get a private car. Some things are worth the price.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info, we plan on an October 2010 time frame. Gonna wait until mid 2010 to book as hopefully, a better deal might be had especially if the economy is still on the down side.

Any recommendations on cruise lines for TA crossing, we have done two previous cruises in the Caribbean with Carnival and Princess, enjoyed both very much and had a ball.
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Default CAN T HELP IT

We have had great luck with C elebrity..many of their cruises leave from Barcelona ... next year there are a couple leaving I believe from Rome.. I love the ports and as has been said.. you do gain an hour coming back.. There maybe a t/a of theirs that ends up in Port liberty, New Jersey, one we took was in San Juan and then there is Ft. Lauderdale..
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Admiral

So I was wondering about it. I like this one.
NCL Gem 10/30/10
Venice, Italy; Malaga, Spain; Cadiz (Seville), Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal; New York, New York.
I love Venice, but also Lisbon is really nice. It feels like San Francisco.

Celebrity Eclipse also has a sailing 10/31/10.
Southampton (London), England; Paris (Le Havre), France; Cherbourg, France; Vigo, Spain; Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal; Miami, Florida
This sailing would leave you in Miami. However starting in England maybe quite expensive.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Admiral

I saw a great Pacific Princess one for Dec. 2010, you embark in Rome Dec. 5, 2010 and debark in Ft. Lauderdale Dec. 22-and right now, if you have crusied with Princess previously, it is like half price when you book from the Princess web site. I wish we could do it!

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Celebrity Constellation leaves in early November, not a lot of great ports, but if you add the previous 7 day cruise-I think it would be good.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Passenger

We booked a repositioning with HAL October 18/2010 aboard the Noordam from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, 16 days total for the cruise. We will spend 2 days in Rome prior to departure to take in that beautiful city and spend 2 days at the Fort as well. Might as well pop up to the Cape and see some rockets.

Lookin forward to the trip
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIS View Post
We booked a repositioning with HAL October 18/2010 aboard the Noordam from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, 16 days total for the cruise. We will spend 2 days in Rome prior to departure to take in that beautiful city and spend 2 days at the Fort as well. Might as well pop up to the Cape and see some rockets.

Sounds wonderful! I would love to be with you,except I think I would want at least 3 days precruise in Rome, so we would have time to take a 13 hour excursion to Pompeii, and then rest up from that. We were sent an offer for this that bundled in the flight and the precruise hotel. It was tempting, but with our upcoming crusie next month, my husband would not have enough vacation time next year to do this.

I am also picky about what airline we use. I like the Delta 767 planes,(does not have to be that airline-just those planes) as they have decent leg room in coach class. (business class is too steep for our pocketbook) We flew Air France this summer to France, and I was so cramped up. I told my husband I could not do that again, I am too old now.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido_man View Post
if you need a TA from Europe to Florida - check here for repositioning cruises in Fall - most of them are one way to Florida, and some are to NYC. Most of the ships belong to Princess and RCI, the cheapest are of Carnival and NCL.
This is an OLD thread-I am sure the OP has taken their cruise by now

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIS View Post

Yes, the OP has taken their trip.

I have now achieved-
139 days total