Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Lightbulb Clocks in cabins

I was thinking about how many things on a cruise are time dependent; arrive in port, depart, shows, demonstrations, sales, etc. And yet there is no clock in your cabin. I know it is vacation and you don't want to worry about time, but there are times you want to know the time.

Our Carnival ships have not had a clock in the room though they are plentiful in public areas. Does anybody?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The only clocks I've ever seen in a stateroom was our Sky Suites (A Cat 1 in 2000 and 2002) on Celebrity, Mercury. It was a wall clock, just above the bed.

I have never seen another clock, other than on the phone display, in any other stateroom.

I've sailed on Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, HAL, Azamara, RCI, Oceania, Renaissance and NCL and I've never had a cabin with an actual "clock" other than on Mercury. I've seen posts that the clocks are no longer in the Sky Suites on Mercury.

I think they want you to "forget" about time because you are on vacation. But as you pointed out, everything on the ship is time managed.

Take care,
Mike (Who always wears a watch and uses cell phone as alarm)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I always carry a clock with me on cruises because I know i have to knwo what time it is. I had a nive travel clock, but its alarm wasn't loud enough. I know carry a cheap digital clock with a veryt koud alarm (because i wear earplugs).

Old November 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Captain

We get a clock in the cabin on Oceania plus I do take my own travel clock
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Clocks in Cabins

While I have only sailed on the "Disney Magic" and the "Disney Wonder," there has always been a clock in the cabin. It is a rather large clock, which sits on the desk, and is shaped like a ship's wheel.

If you want one just like it, one is available (or was available) for purchase from the ship's store.

Of course, I also bring a clock with me, when I cruise. The clock in the cabin while useful, is rather large to bring with one, when one goes on shore.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
First Mate

Several mass market cruise lines have attempted to place clocks in passenger cabins.

First you need to know that no ship's internal clock system is powerful enough to power that many clocks and keep them all on time. So all the extra clocks must be set by hand.

Who is responsible to re-set the clocks when the ship changes time zones?
Some passengers thought it should be the cabin steward; some cabin stewards thought it should be the passengers. What happens if they all forget to change the time and wake up late - missing their shore excursion? Passengers blamed the cabin stewards and demanded refunds.

Many clocks placed in staterooms were stolen by the passengers.
My employer then tried glueing the clocks to the night stands.
Many passengers pried the clocks off (and stole them) destroying the counter tops in the process.
My employer then tried to hard wire the clocks into the wall, using 220 volt clocks. We attached notices to the clocks, cautioning that they would not work at home with 120 volts. The passengers stole them anyway.

Every time we tried this exercise, my 1,000 stateroom ship had nearly all the clocks stolen or broken after about 30 days.

You won't be seeing too many clocks in mass market ship cabins.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Every time we tried this exercise, my 1,000 stateroom ship had nearly all the clocks stolen or broken after about 30 days.

You won't be seeing too many clocks in mass market ship cabins.
On 1 cruise line they have a list of prices for things like clocks, hairdryers etc ..if you take them there will be a charge on your credit card for the items missing. EG: $10 for a shoehorn..
you can buy them a lot cheaper I wonder if this method works
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Admiral

i think that a simple battery operated clock somewhere in the stateroom is a good idea, your room steward should be responsible for resetting the clock when he/she makes up the room the night before a time change, and if you take the clock then it should be charged to your onboard account
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Captain

Default jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
i think that a simple battery operated clock somewhere in the stateroom is a good idea, your room steward should be responsible for resetting the clock when he/she makes up the room the night before a time change,
i disagree with you on having the room steward change the clock they usually do up the room at dinner time so if you come back to the cabin after dinner & the clock is changed then you may miss the show other activity

I am sure most people are capable of changing a clock
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Admiral

We've never even thought to look for a clock in our cabin...guess because we always bring our own.

We brought our travel clock from one of those travel stores. At night if you touch it to see the time a green light shows up the numbers....and if you need a light to move around the cabin at night (go to the bathroom) when you pick it up it has a white light that's just bright enough to lite your way.
Actually it's pretty cool...small, compact and works great.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I completely agree with Bruce. People will walk off with the clocks as a "souvenir" and the hassle and cost of maintaining them isn't worth it. You can buy a $10 travel alarm or use the one on your cell phone. It is a better alternative.

We use a Celebrity travel alarm that we won at trivia a long time ago. Some of the stuff you win at trivia is actually useful.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Admiral

We use a travel clock that's lit if you set the alarm (ours is similar to FM's). We have no problem moving an hour forward or an hour back (there's a note on the pillow) and have plenty of experience!

I'm surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be ) that people would "rip off" a clock!

I've always been told that a "plug in" clock wouldn't keep good time on a ship because the electricity flow isn't consistant. Is that right, or is it an Urban Legend?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
First Mate

Fern,
That story was -and sometimes still is - true.
Almost all cruise ships are built in Europe, where the electrical current is typically 220 volts at 50 cycles.
Cruise Ships' power systems are nearly always built to the same specs.

For the electrically challenged people in North America, the cruise lines install step down transformers in accommodations areas, to reduce the power to 100-120 volts. But for many years the reduced power was still operating at 50 cycles. These cycles are what allow your clock to keep proper time.
In North America, standard electrical current is 120 volts at 60 cycles.

In recent years, the cruise lines have been technically able to reduce the electrical power from 220 v at 50 cycles to 120 v at 60 cycles. Most newer cruise ships now have this capability.
This allows your North American clock to operate more or less on time. But there are still power spikes on ships, and these can cause timekeeping issues with a plug-in clock on a transformer.

Better to play it safe and either bring a 220 volt plug-in clock, or use a clock that does not require plugging in.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48 View Post
On 1 cruise line they have a list of prices for things like clocks, hairdryers etc ..if you take them there will be a charge on your credit card for the items missing. EG: $10 for a shoehorn..
you can buy them a lot cheaper I wonder if this method works
lulu,

We tried that. Too many passengers claimed that they didn't steal the clock and disputed the charge we placed on their credit card. Unfortunately many disputed the ENTIRE charge for their cruise. In either case, it just wasn't worth the hassle for the cruise line to chase down all these disputes.

Better to cancel the clocks than have to chase thieves.
Old March 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Just curious, Bruce, were you once the CD on NCL's Seaward?
Marty
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Thanks for some good discussion gang, Bruce gave some good insights. Our last cruise (Mexican Riviera) the time zone changed almost daily - I thought we would stick with "ship time" but no the ship moved with the land time.

It would take a new build or major refurb, but I think you could actually do this. The clocks would have to be built in to avoid "shrinkage", and with almost all ships going wireless the clocks could receive time either wirelessly or through GPS. The problem with GPS again would be timezones as it is transmitted in Zulu time. Either way their would be little or no demand on the ship's central timing system.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:43 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie View Post
Just curious, Bruce, were you once the CD on NCL's Seaward?
Marty
Marty,

Sorry - not me.
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Admiral

There was a clock hanging on the wall and on the telephone on our last cruise aboard the Westerdam . we had a Suite. I think on ly the Suites have them.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Passenger

My wife has a clock alright and we will be bringing it on our first cruise. I am a heavy sleeper adn its the only alarm that will wake me. The clock is old scholl looking with bells (each bell bigger than my hand) on top but this one is bigger then my head. Its so loud you can hear it in teh parking lot of our apartment complex while its behind our closed bedroom door! lol
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:49 PM
Passenger

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Several mass market cruise lines have attempted to place clocks in passenger cabins.

First you need to know that no ship's internal clock system is powerful enough to power that many clocks and keep them all on time. So all the extra clocks must be set by hand.

Who is responsible to re-set the clocks when the ship changes time zones?
Some passengers thought it should be the cabin steward; some cabin stewards thought it should be the passengers.
I am surprised nobody thought about the easiest fix in the world: atomic clocks. An atomic clock adjusts to time zone changes automatically because it is real time, not an errant guess by a person who uses it. Put an atomic clock in every cabin and everybody will know what time it is no matter where in the world they are. Not only that, but atomic clocks also tell you the day of the week, day of the month, and current weather where you are. I don't know how loud the alarms are, but they can be used for waking up. That would solve everybody's problems about clocks.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Most cell phones have alarm clocks built into them these days, and since ships have cell service they will sink up to the ship's time when you get onboard. You might want to put them in "airplane mode" so no calls come in (because they will be expensive).

I often just throw a cheap electric alarm clock into my suitcase to use - especially on business trips. They are easy to set up and reliable. And the alarms are really loud.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I was thinking about how many things on a cruise are time dependent; arrive in port, depart, shows, demonstrations, sales, etc. And yet there is no clock in your cabin. I know it is vacation and you don't want to worry about time, but there are times you want to know the time.

Our Carnival ships have not had a clock in the room though they are plentiful in public areas. Does anybody?
I think it is not really necessary to have Cabin clock,
But it would be nice , great idea

I use the phone call if i need to wake me up early.

One can get time in TV .

But of course you need some watches on the ship.

And what happens if there is no power at your watches .

Right !
They are dead.

Can you buy any new battery on ship ?
Right ! Of course not!

But one can buy some 150-2000 USD watches on any ship
that you don't really need.

So as for me if would be very nice to get a cabin clock,

But it is really necessary to be able to change your
watch batteries on the ship.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

Maybe you would say - one can change it watch batterie on any stop in
some town.

It must not be easy ?

I try to do it Amsterdam, Rotterdam and London (airoport) -
No chance they cannot open them (Switzerland watches).

In Amsterdam they damaged watches even a liitle bit ,
So I told them that the whole Netherlands is a Banana Republic ,
But that does not really helped !

Only in Germany they change the batterie in 5 minutes without any problem.

So, of cource it is not so easy - you need not only battarie on the ship,
but people with appropriate tools that can open then .
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPrincess View Post
I am surprised nobody thought about the easiest fix in the world: atomic clocks. An atomic clock adjusts to time zone changes automatically because it is real time, not an errant guess by a person who uses it. Put an atomic clock in every cabin and everybody will know what time it is no matter where in the world they are. Not only that, but atomic clocks also tell you the day of the week, day of the month, and current weather where you are. I don't know how loud the alarms are, but they can be used for waking up. That would solve everybody's problems about clocks.
That's an interesting idea, but it won't work because ship's sail on "ship time". Sometimes they change with the time zone, sometimes they stay on the embarcation port time, and sometimes they only change once, when you may have crossed several time zones .

Plus, as I stated earlier, the electrical fluctuations on a a ship would cause even an atomic clock to not keep time correctly.

I find that a battery operated alarm clock and a watch set to ship's time are the best way's to keep up !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPrincess View Post
Is there something about an atomic clock that would prevent a passenger from stealing it?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Here is a reply that is not cloaked in cynicism and boorishness.

Atomic clocks are not able to work in all areas of the world. They need a signal from a calibrated long-life radioactive source. The signals are limited in range.
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Just don't use a (radio controlled) clock that automatically sets the time based on your location. Ship's time often bears no relation to local land time, especially on transatlantic crossings, and these clocks are extremely difficult to set manually! My $20 LL Bean travel clock has served me well for several years and uses easy to find AA batteries.

J