Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

View Poll Results: Would you read (and follow) cruiseline tips for "going green" when you board?
Yes-It's important to be environmentally friendly at sea! 9 60.00%
No-I don't want to think about that. I'm on vacation! 5 33.33%
Not sure 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Default "Going green" on cruise

Hello,
What suggestions do you have for being more environmentally friendly on my cruise? I plan to reuse my water bottle, air-dry my laundry and only take what I really at the buffet. Any other tips?
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am also not sure what I can do personally on a cruise that is any different than what i do every day. They have different recepticles onboard for paper and plastic - I always choose the right one. I don't throw my empty plastic water bottles overboard.

I really don't get the question, it kind of sounds like a plant from some environmentalist trying to prove people who cruise don't care about the environment.

Its a dumb question - the environmental practices onboard are managed by the ship's staff, not the passengers. They do reduce all waste to ash and dispose of it properly when they arrive in port. I suggest you read up on shipboard environmental practices before you post such a silly question.
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I am also not sure what I can do personally on a cruise that is any different than what i do every day. They have different recepticles onboard for paper and plastic - I always choose the right one. I don't throw my empty plastic water bottles overboard.

I really don't get the question, it kind of sounds like a plant from some environmentalist trying to prove people who cruise don't care about the environment.

Its a dumb question - the environmental practices onboard are managed by the ship's staff, not the passengers. They do reduce all waste to ash and dispose of it properly when they arrive in port. I suggest you read up on shipboard environmental practices before you post such a silly question.
I also plan on what I do everyday to do onboard the cruise. But there are things like buffets that I don't encounter every day.
Which question do you not get, the suggestions or the poll? You suggested recycling and not littering, thanks. I haven't been on a cruise for 9 years, so I'm glad to see the lines are being more conscientious in their practices. As for the poll, I was just interested to see if people bring their "green" practices onboard.
I don't see how it's a dumb question, there are certain things the cruise has no control over, like me throwing bottles overboard or using cold instead of hot water to do my laundry.
Thanks for such an extensive reply to my "dumb" and "silly" questions!
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well personally, I have always felt that RCCL is "missing the boat" by NOT having a place to recycle all the paper we get on board each day. Many years ago when we sailed on HAL, there was a recycle bin in our cabin - just for paper. It was great. I didn't feel I was being wasteful when I threw away "yesterday's" cruise info and sales.
On RCCL, I feel as though I have to take all my paper home and put it in my recycle bin at home.
We are careful to make sure the plastic, etc. goes in the proper bins.
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Captain

A lot of cruise line do recycle the papers but you the passenger do not have to sort it
They have crew that sort the garbage so just be careful what you are throwing out.
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Admiral

I'd be glad to rehang my towel if I had room to do so. Instead of the cruise line or hotel giving my a little card telling my how reusing my towel will save the earth, they could provide a place for me and my DW to hang ours up.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I'd be glad to rehang my towel if I had room to do so. Instead of the cruise line or hotel giving my a little card telling my how reusing my towel will save the earth, they could provide a place for me and my DW to hang ours up.
Don't they have a clothes line in the shower?

We hang ours but then the stewardess folds them & places them on the holders so we do not know if they are our used ones or fresh ones:???:
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Captain

Ask for proper glasses & not the plastic cups for drinks.