CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Your Ultimate Cruise Ship (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/370154-your-ultimate-cruise-ship.html)

Mike M December 19th, 2009 06:24 PM

Your Ultimate Cruise Ship

I was thinking today what things would I want in my ultimate cruise ship. In no particular order these are some of the things I came up with. There are probably more but this was just the first draft of the wish list.
  • All balcony cabins
  • 300 Square Foot Cabin
  • 32" Flat Screen TV with DVD Player and large movie library
  • Large bathroom with whirlpool tub
  • Multiple Dining Venues including buffet and outdoor Grille
  • Headline Entertainment
  • Large Pool
  • Adult Only Serenity Area
  • Open Seating
  • Country Club Casual
  • Overnight Ports
  • Worldwide Itineraries
  • Under 100,000 GRT
  • Minimum of 2:1 Crew to Passenger ratio
  • Laid back design using wood tones and glass
  • All Inclusive
I know I basically described a combination of Regent/Oceania/Seabourn but these are a number of things that come to mind.

What would you want???????????

Take care,
Mike

apiper December 19th, 2009 08:08 PM

all-female crew

lulu48 December 19th, 2009 11:48 PM

I will add to your list
no smoking
no kids
do not care for all inclusive
bigger cabins are good
no charge for specialty restaurants (like Oceania)

Paul Motter December 20th, 2009 01:12 PM

I will mention one thing that adds a LOT to my trips - onboard enrichment speakers. I really enjoy having someone onboard who is an expert in the area we are about to visit.

My one river voyage between Moscow and St Petersburg we had the MOST excellent Russian experts ever (Viking River) including 4 guides and one professor from the Moscow U. who specialized in economics. Her insights into why Capitalism has not really taken root in Russia were outstanding.

When you are in Europe, the Med... anyplce with real history, it is good to have guides when you are at the sites you want to see, but it is also a drawback when a guide starts to speak on and on about history, etc when you want to see as much of the sight as possible.

Therefore, I really appreciate a ship that has experts onboard who can give us history, etc, before we reach our destination. That way we can concentrate on the experience of being at the site we came to see instead of standing there listening to a tour guide talk about things we are not seeing that happened in the past (if that makes sense).

Paul Motter December 21st, 2009 01:56 PM

In my job I get these questions all the time "what's the best cruise line" and "what's your favorite cruise?"

I guess part of the attraction of cruising is that both of these questions actually make no sense.

"What's the best cruise line?" How much money do you want to spend?

"What's your favorite cruise?" The one that costs the most.

No, I'm kidding, I never say that (not the second one anyway), but I guess a lot novices think of cruises as something like greyhound busses. Like the same vessel does the same itinerary all year round for set price that never changes.

The correct questions are "which cruise lines give you the best value?" and "what is your favorite combination of cruise line and cruising region?"

And even given those questions, I can never answer the question because it isn't like food - where you get the same thrill every time you eat it. Cruising is like going to the movies - where the first time you go to a certain place it is your favorite time going there, because it is all new.

As far as cruise lines, I like some more than others, but I am generally much more concerned about where we are going than which cruise line we are on. I mean if you give me a choice of cruising in the Caribbean on Silversea or going to a new & exotic location (for me, that would be New Zealand right now) on Carnival I would take the Carnival cruise in a heartbeat.

I realize a lot of people are not like that - they think vessel first and location secondary, but where a ship is sailing is very important to me, unless I am going to a place i have seen dozens of times (Eastern Caribbean), and then the ship is all that matters to me.

My ultimate ship has...

In cabin:

fast response for room service
Lots of hot-food choices for room service
A LARGE screen flat-panel TV with lots of channel choices, not just CNN International
A DVD player and a well-stocked DVD library
A room steward who always cleans up while I am out of the cabin - virtually invisible.

Outside the cabin:

24-hour buffet (only Princess as far as I know)
Serves a good steak and lobster
A good, hot breakfast buffet, even if I only go once during the entire cruise.
Dining room food that doesn't arrive at room temperature.
Slot machines where you can put in $20 and not lose every single pull.
Waitresses in the dining room (not just waiters). I prefer to be served by a woman because they seem more logical in that role. I feel sorry for a guy who works as a waiter for a living.
Clear spaces for walking (no bottlenecks) and fast elevators.

LisaK December 22nd, 2009 01:25 PM

oooh Mike i like your ship! I would add a couple of things, closet space like the suites on Princess, pillow-top mattress with 800 ct sheets, more than one outlet in the cabin, and true gourmet food

Truck Cruiser December 24th, 2009 04:14 AM

Mt ship would be a 90,000 to 110,000 ton ship. I like this size because to me, smaller is better but my wife get's seasick more easily on smaller vessels.

I like the idea of multiple eating venues onboard but would like to see them all included with the price of the cruise.

The size of the staterooms are good with one exception....they ALL need bigger showers and bathrooms as a whole.

I would like to see more daytime activities on sea days. How about having a show perform at 1pm and 3pm so everyone isn't bustling out of diner and running to make the shows?

Sadly the cruise lines are getting more restrictive on smoking. I am all for fairness but I believe that smoking should be allowed in some of the night spots on the ship along with balconies and staterooms.

I would be in favor of more time in the ports. The last cruise we were on we stopped in Aruba for 5 hours, what can u really see in 5 hours? Overnight stays at some ports would be wonderful also.

Let's make the ship all inclusive! There would be no SURPRISE bill at the end of the cruise, it would all be paid up front. I think that this would increase cruise passengers over the long haul.

Do away with the "Serenity" areas and give us back the adults only area please!!

I would also have the ships officers give lessons on navigation, radio at sea, basic operation of a ship and chef school.

These are a few changes i would make or retain for a cruise line.

Later
Tim