Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Passenger

I bring one dressy black skirt and one pair of black palazzo pants - with several dressy blouses in various colors. One pair of dressy sandals.

One formal dress suffices for the "formal" night and the sandals go with that too.

I love to clean up for dinner - wouldn't dream of going out in jeans and tee shirt. I don't think people need to wear evening gowns and tuxes for dinner but it doesn't take much to freshen up and get out of jeans/shorts unless you're grabbing a burger at the pool or going to the informal buffet.

People behave differently when they're in nice attire and it lends a more graceful atmosphere. But to each their own!
Old December 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
If I am on vacation anywhere, i should be able to dress as I choose. Cruise ships especially because of limited dining venues. I should not be forced to dine in my room or seek out the buffet just because i dont want to get dressed up.
Truck Cruiser, maybe you will end up with the "family from hell." Parents and two kids. Kids constantly were throwing mashed potatoes and other food across the table at each other when they weren't yelling at each other. The parents just tried to drown out the kids. When approached by the Maitre 'D, the mother said that this was there vacation and they were going to behave as they wanted. She said that the kids were like this at home, too, but on the ship, she didn't have to clean it up.

In the privacy of your own space, you can do whatever you want. If you want to mix with civilization, you need to follow the rules that that civilization has created. If you really want to do whatever you want on a cruise vacation, may I recommend renting a sailboat with crew. It is a fantastic experience where you can get into many wonderful islands and beaches where you cannot reach with a cruise ship.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
If I am on vacation anywhere, i should be able to dress as I choose. Cruise ships especially because of limited dining venues. I should not be forced to dine in my room or seek out the buffet just because i dont want to get dressed up.
Dress how you like, mate. What you do or don't do will have no impact on us personally during our trip. Wear your jeans/t-shirt/ball cap or whatever 24/7 in whatever venue you wish. I didn't pay for your cruise so it is no concern of mine what you do or how you feel.

Where ever you travels take you - do enjoy!!!

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I used to think that dressing up on vacation was ridiculous. However, after several cruises with formal nights we are "into it". I bought a tux for my daughter's wedding three years ago, and bring it on every cruise. ( It is also the only suit I own that still fits!)
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Admiral

oh dear here we go again with the cruise wear debate. Its really quite simple actually, a cruise is one of the few vacations where you know in advance that there is a dress code, and that as a guest of the ship you are expected to abide by those guidelines yes the cruise lines have become very very flexible in the past few years when it comes to the dress code, but it is still expected in the main venues. I totally agree with Trip, if you were on a land vacation and you decided that you wanted to have dinner in a really nice restaurant, would you not dress accordingly?? same applies to a cruise ship.
If you really want to cruise you have the choice of a line that is totally casual or you can simply opt out of the formal venues
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Personally I hate dressing up and would like to see the cruise lines do away with it all together.

After all, you are on vacation, you should be able to dress however you want!
:mr green: You got what you wanted. Dress now you like I don't care. Carnival allows Jeans and dressy shorts in the dining room I say go for it. Me personally I like a pink and yellow tutu with wings. Maybe we can be seated at the same table. BTW the shoes kill my feet but they look great.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Oh dear here we go again with the cruise dress code battle. I must agree with Trip on this one, if you were on a land vacation and you decided to go out to dinner at a really nice restaurant wouldn't you get dressed accordingly? so then whats the difference when you are on a cruise, especially since you know in advance what the ships dress code is and as a guest of the ship you are expected to dress accordingly.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Admiral

oops sorry about the double posting
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Like I said we dress up for diner but for the ones who don't I could care less and I'm not botherd by it at all. Go in you PJ's if you want, It's your trip do as you please. I also think it depends on the cruise line.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If I am going to the trouble of getting dressed up then I think everyone else should!

To be perfectly honest, the way I truly feel is that if a person paid for a cruise then they should be able to wear their underwear on their head if they want to. They should also be aware that I might stare at them like they just broke wind in church - at least for a second. But it's their money and reputation, so they can do as they please. I am not going to say "if you can't dress right then don't cruise."

I was once on a cruise where a tablemate said "I only book this line because I know everyone on here is up to my standards. I don't want to associate with unrefined people." I have to say I felt really sorry for the guy when I realized he didn't have anyone close enough to him to care about him personally so he had to care more about what the strangers around him were like.

The statement just sounded somewhat insecure and judgemental.

Remember, there was once a tme when boys with long hair were not allowed in Disneyland. Maybe you remember slicking your long hair back so you could get in? Maybe you remember when schools had dress codes and how much you hated being told how you should look?

Do we really need to be that way on cruise ships? They are suggested dress codes, and I am glad they are not mandatory anymore. Yes, I still say "if I have to do it then I wish everyone would," but in reality deep down I can't say I don't understand the people who don't want to do it, I do understand it.

Its kind of like this; if you have the money and time to go out and buy nice clothes, and you never gain weight so they always fit, and you have a body that looks good in any kind of clothing - then good for you.

But some people don't have all that much money, they don't have the time or money to buy fancy clothes they may never wear again, they hate the way they look in a suit because they have a long waist and short arms & legs (that's me) and their weight fluctuates so the nice clothes they planned to bring didn't fit.

I am just saying it doesn't pay to be judgemental if you don't know the whole story about someone.

I think it would be cool of the cruise lines worked something out where they could pre-arrange special formal cruises on certain ships in a fleet or something like that. But we have seen that concept doesn't seem to work. They couldn't even make a non-smoking ship they could sell out.

What if it was the other way - where ships used to be very informal and suddenly they started having mandatory dress codes. I think a lot of people might be upset about suddenly having to get dressed up.