Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

View Poll Results: Which Ship Would You Choose?
Celebrity Solstice 14 32.56%
Ruby Princess 5 11.63%
Holland America Eurodam 11 25.58%
Carnival Dream 4 9.30%
Freedom of the Seas 4 9.30%
Norwegian Pearl 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default You've Won a Free Cruise. Which Line Do You Pick?

You have just won a free cruise (in theory). It is a 7-day cruise to the Eastern Carribbean: It leaves from Ft Lauderdale and goes to St Thomas, St Martin and the line's private island. Which cruise ship do you pick:

And just to make it more fair, lets say the "value" is the same regardless of the ship you pick - say you are given $3000 for two people (total expenses) for the cruise; cruise fare, shore tours, alternative dining, pick of accomodations at going rate.

Notes: I left out Oasis because it would probably win purely by curiousity factor. I did include Carnival Dream (I know it really leaves from Pt Canaveral, but I don't want that to affect this poll) because while it is new it is not RADICALLY different from other Carnival ships. I would have included Norwegian Epic, but once again, it is radically different and the curiousity factor alone probably would have it winning, and it isn't out yet.

Last edited by Paul Motter; December 30th, 2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Paul, why isn't Regent Seven Seas Navigator on your list?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Obviously because I wanted to keep the cruise ships somewhat within the same realm in terms of cost.

Old December 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I chose Norwegian Pearl. Love Freestyle cruising, haven't sailed the Pearl and with the $3,000 I could easily book a balcony cabin and enjoy all of the alternative restaurants and pay my onboard expenses. I've done the itinerary many times and would spend little or nothing onshore.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I would pick the Dream just because it's new and big. I have only been on older & smaller ships so the Dream would hopefully be dreamy.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Admiral

I would choose the Eurodam .When can I go ? ,

Last edited by Lakers Fan; December 30th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Obviously because I wanted to keep the cruise ships somewhat within the same realm in terms of cost.
Then I would choose NCL because of freestyle.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Admiral

I chose the Ruby Princess. We have never had a bad cruise on Princess and it is our line of choice. They do Anytime dining so much better than NCL does freestyle. And while we are liking Carnival, Princess is the one we love.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Admiral

No Oasis of the seas? I picked Freedom of the seas I can fly to flordia with the $3000. BTW when is the check getting here.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Paul, why isn't Regent Seven Seas Navigator on your list?
I feel a second poll coming on. Regent, Crystal, Silver seas etc. BTW I saw the Seven Seas once it was in Alaska I was trying to sneak on but the caught me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Marc - if you "would" choose NCL if you haven't regiatered your vote yet would you mind doing it? (Two people mention it but only one person voted for it).

What is surprising is what a diverse set of opinions we have here.

I admit I have not yet voted even though I have been on all the ships. But I have never sailed on a "regular" NCL cruise, only a short press trip. So, I am going on Jewel later this month just to get a taste of NCL.

I have to say, that all things being equal - especially the budget, that I think I might also select NCL because it would give me the chance to try all the alternative restaurants.

I also have to say, that I think Solstice is the most impressive of the bunch, along with Eurodam as a close second. If I were more of a "cruiser" and lest destination oriented I would probably go with either of those. But this is a "cruiser" itinerary because I am SO familiar with those two ports. Therefore it is all about the ship. Those are beautiful ships, but a little too quiet for me.

I also like Princess, but to me Princess ships are for destination cruising moreso than Caribbean cruising. In the Med or Australia, I would take Princess for sure. I LOVE Princess in the Med, those have been three of my best cruises ever.

So for me, it would either be Carnival, RCL or NCL - because they are all more "fun" ships (Sorry Carnival, I know that is your trademark).

IN the long run, I am more of a ship geek than a singing waiter kind of guy. But's a tough choice and a little unfair because Dream is newer than Freedom. If it was between Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Splendour I would pick FOS. BUt right now - with FOS and Carnival Dream being about the same price point, I would probably pick Dream.

However, I have only not said NCL because I have not been on them yet. My gut says that with the budget the same I would end up liking NCL best of all. They have the bowling alleys, all those alternative dining spots, Second City, coffee makers in the rooms, etc.

A very tough choice, surprisingly tough. This all makes me think Norwegian Epic is going to be a bigger hit than many people may think.

Old January 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

To heck with RCI! I would jump on either Dream, Freedom, or Liberty heading East........

You won't catch me going on a ship as large as Oasis. The Dream will be the biggest ship I would be willing to go on, nothing larger as it is too large!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This obsession with the size of Oasis is killing me. Yes, it's a big ship, but Disneyland is a big theme park - that is what makes it possible to add so many cool things onboard. You couldn't fit Space Mountain, the Haunted House and Pirates of the Caribbean into your neighborhood "Funland" - but if you had a choice would you choose Funland over Disney World because DW is too big?

Or lets say you want to go to an all-inclusive resort. Would you rather go to one that covers a square mile for 6000 people and has three different showrooms, 24 restaurants, two flowriders, a zip-line, free pizza, ice cream and donuts and a merry-go-round. Or would you rather go to one that covers 1/2 mile for 4000 people and has three restaurants, one pool and an activities director offering trivia games and bingo?

I just have to wonder - the people who adamantly won't go on Oasis, have they actually looked at the layout and pictures of it and read the reviews?

Anyway - this thread is about ships that compare to one another. Oasis is in a different league and currently costs more, too. I don't think you could on it for $3000 for two people right now anyway.

Old January 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since the Solstice is in my brain right now for a potential cruise this year, I will choose that ship.....I do feel the need to book RCI too....but.....

I had 2 HAL's which did not really rate that well, for me, so scratch that line for this free cruise.....

I really enjoyed Princess, so, I will be back on them as well...

My problem has always been, given to many choices, I get nothing..this poll is doing that to my mind now..so many choices, so little time

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm surprised Solstice is not doing better. It really is a beautiful ship with excellent food, but it does cost more so the $3000 budget might not get you as much "fun" as some of the other ships. I do know that class of ship is booking very well in Europe right now. Maybe that ship is better suited for Europe cruising that Caribbean cruising.

However, the cabins have large screen TVs, the bathrooms are roomy, the ship decor is beautiful and the pool areas and Lido restaurant are very inviting and spacious.

I finally made my choice, I picked Eurodam. I really like the onboard atmosphere and the alternative food and dining options. The cabins are very comfortable with the large-screen TVs. I like the library with the DVD loans. Their staff is very friendly and helpful.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Paul,
I can't deal with the huge ships...not do not want to, but can't. I'm too old and too physically challenged.

But, even when younger, I have always preferred the smaller ships.

And, yes, I would choose a smaller amusement park over Disney any day of the week!

Different strokes, etc. For me, more stuff to do is not better than less.
Marty
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Marc - if you "would" choose NCL if you haven't regiatered your vote yet would you mind doing it? (Two people mention it but only one person voted for it).

What is surprising is what a diverse set of opinions we have here.

I admit I have not yet voted even though I have been on all the ships. But I have never sailed on a "regular" NCL cruise, only a short press trip. So, I am going on Jewel later this month just to get a taste of NCL.

I have to say, that all things being equal - especially the budget, that I think I might also select NCL because it would give me the chance to try all the alternative restaurants.

I also have to say, that I think Solstice is the most impressive of the bunch, along with Eurodam as a close second. If I were more of a "cruiser" and lest destination oriented I would probably go with either of those. But this is a "cruiser" itinerary because I am SO familiar with those two ports. Therefore it is all about the ship. Those are beautiful ships, but a little too quiet for me.

I also like Princess, but to me Princess ships are for destination cruising moreso than Caribbean cruising. In the Med or Australia, I would take Princess for sure. I LOVE Princess in the Med, those have been three of my best cruises ever.

So for me, it would either be Carnival, RCL or NCL - because they are all more "fun" ships (Sorry Carnival, I know that is your trademark).

IN the long run, I am more of a ship geek than a singing waiter kind of guy. But's a tough choice and a little unfair because Dream is newer than Freedom. If it was between Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Splendour I would pick FOS. BUt right now - with FOS and Carnival Dream being about the same price point, I would probably pick Dream.

However, I have only not said NCL because I have not been on them yet. My gut says that with the budget the same I would end up liking NCL best of all. They have the bowling alleys, all those alternative dining spots, Second City, coffee makers in the rooms, etc.

A very tough choice, surprisingly tough. This all makes me think Norwegian Epic is going to be a bigger hit than many people may think.
Paul, I thought you were going on the GEM....have you switched to the Jewel instead?

I of course voted for the NCL ship, I love Freestyle.

Margaret
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes, I am going on the Jewel... Sorry if I confused you. At the time I posted that I just only recalled for sure that it was NCL and I thought it was the Gem. Having confirmed it, however, it is the Jewel. Sorry about any misunderstanding.

Old January 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM
First Mate

There are so many cruise lines with that itinerary, why I'd take any ship they'd like to send me on!!

Old January 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Passenger

Of the listed choices, give me Holland America anytime. Love HAL, and love the smaller ships.
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Captain

I would choose the Carnival Dream because it is a different and newest ship in the Carnival fleet.

Freedom would be the second pick followed closely by the NCL Pearl.

HAL is for old fogies and smoking is too restrictive on Celebrity for me to sail on any of their vessels.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, HAL is no longer for old fogies...used to be, just as Carnival used to be only young party hardy types. But, as more and more people cruise, the demographics have spread out. That and also effort by the cruise lines to broadent heir appeal.
Marty
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

unfortunately, "old fogies" is a relative term.

I'll never forget the day when I realized this:

I was on a cruise ship thinking "wow, cruise crowds have really gotten younger since I started cruising, it used to be all old fogies."

And then I realized that I was comparing today to my perception when I was 15 years younger.

Now - that doesn't mean ship crowds have not gotten younger, in fact they HAVE gotten much younger, especially HAL. But the point is that the definition of "Old Fogie" changes a lot depending on your age.

Maybe to Truck the people on Hal are still Old Fogies because they average 47 instead of 39. There is lot of generational perception and experience that comes with being a certain age. You can feel young inside, but appear older to younger people because you don't know who Flava Flave is and they never heard of Lola Fontana.

Old January 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Paul, I understand what you're saying about Oasis, but every time I see a photo of "the Mall", I cringe, & if I want neighborhoods, I'll walk Brooklyn Heights, but not on a cruise ship.
Having said that, I voted for Solstice, because I love the atmosphere & service aboard Celebrity ships, & Solstice intrigues me because from reports I've read, she takes those attributes to another level.(but I'd love to try Eurodam, just to get a taste of Holland America!)
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm putting this at the top again for people who didnt see it.

Please Vote.

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Admiral

I picked the Solstice because I have not cruised her and would like to. I have not cruised the Eurodam, but I have cruised the Westerdam and Zuiderdam, and I am not particularly interested in the extra deck on the Eurodam, that offers an Asian food specialty restuarant and private cabanas that you pay extra for use by the pool. Her extras over the vista class, cost extra also.

I did like NCL Pearl fairly well, but I have already cruised her and I want something different.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Constellation November 24, 2014
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Well, I'm going t jump in here late though I may be.

I voted for Solstice however I was really betwix and between with HAL. I'm a big Celebrity fan but after sailing on the Zuiderdam the food and service was just so good!!! I would really take either one.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.