Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Default Need help w/flying into San Juan

Hi, I've been on a few cruises, but I've always sailed in/out of FLA. For an 8:30 PM departure from San Juan...what time do you recommend I arrive at the airport (as I have no idea of the logistics there, and how far it is)? I've tried to search this...and I saw one site recommended 2 1/2 hours. Is 5:30 PM too late? I guess I should also consider flying in the night before, but I've never had to do that (as it's a little harder to get to San Juan early in the day.) I'm looking at cruising on RCCL on the Serenade of the Seas. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since this is considered an international flight, with thethe new security regulations ,they are saying at least 3/4 hours.....this seems rather overkill a bit to me, but...be prepared for long lines...the ride is not that long to the airport...maybe 25 minutes or so...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Passenger

Just from my personal experience, the San Juan airport is a zoo! Your bigger concern would be your departure time after the cruise, as there are usually more than one ship off-loading passengers. If you're able, fly in the day before, and fly out the day after. $$$$ and time. I know, I know. The new TSA rules may require longer waits at all departing airports (including the one you're flying from to San Juan. A lot will depend on the time of year you're flying and your original departure city to San Juan. DD and family just flew back from DEN to EUG (non-stop on United) on 12-27, two days after the 12-25 "incident". She said the security lines were very long, and agents were scrambling around. Four hours from security line to gate.
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Ditto on Zoo at San Juan. At departure you also have to take your bags to the USDA inspection point for check/inspection and a Green Sticker prior to taking them to airline check in. That was the procedure on our last trip so allow extra time for that also.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Admiral

the others are totally correct on this one, san juan airport is a total zoo, flying in isn't too bad its flying out that is just plain crazy, the earlier you can get into san juan the better, book the earliest flight you can from home, flying in the day before is the best way to go if you can, and flying out the day after is such a plus.
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl3001999 View Post
Hi, I've been on a few cruises, but I've always sailed in/out of FLA. For an 8:30 PM departure from San Juan...what time do you recommend I arrive at the airport (as I have no idea of the logistics there, and how far it is)? I've tried to search this...and I saw one site recommended 2 1/2 hours. Is 5:30 PM too late? I guess I should also consider flying in the night before, but I've never had to do that (as it's a little harder to get to San Juan early in the day.) I'm looking at cruising on RCCL on the Serenade of the Seas. Thanks for the help!
I'd say a day or two before, just because. We rented a car and got lost in the rainforest. We came across a couple scary dead ends. But it was fun!
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm surprised that they set sail at 5:30, is was usually 9 or 10PM...I think that may be pushing it just a little. Don't forget about the time change, that would bring you in earlier for their time.

Where are you flying in from? I know from Chicago, its almost 6 hours time, but you gain the time going and lose it comming back.

Message Boards Moderator