CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   RX Prescription Snorkeling Mask (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/370472-rx-prescription-snorkeling-mask.html)

jhanham January 3rd, 2010 04:18 PM

RX Prescription Snorkeling Mask

I wear glasses with a fairly strong prescription. Without glasses, I will get very little out of snorkeling. Has anyone ever purchased an RX Prescription Snorkeling Mask? If so, from which company? Do the snorkeling masks that you rent have enough room to go over your glasses? Thanks for the help!

Phil&Liz January 3rd, 2010 04:31 PM

A quick search found the following...
Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878

In-Stock Prescription Scuba and Snorkel Masks|Call 1-877-SCUBA-DV 7 days/wk for Prescription Dive & Snorkel Masks - Bi-Focal, gauge reader, Farsightedness and Astigmatism corrective lens mask and masks

Phil & Liz

jhanham January 3rd, 2010 05:02 PM

Yes, I found companies as well. I was really asking if anyone has done this and what company they used. Bonus points if it is a Canadian company so they will ship to me.

green_rd January 4th, 2010 08:08 AM

I am legally blind and have not gone the prescription mask route, yet. You can not wear glasses under a mask, they would not seal. I have been satisfied so far doing an occasional dive, but have considered the RX mask if I were to take up SCUBA.

barry January 4th, 2010 01:55 PM

I actually have bought a prescription dive mask and it is great. Of course, I cannot remember who I bought it from, but I don't believe it was a big company, just a guy (optician).

Barry

mommiedearest January 5th, 2010 09:10 PM

I got one many years ago through my optician. I asked, and was told to bring in my mask. Got it back a few weeks later with an RX plastic lens. I used it for years until I gave up SCUBA, and my RX changed. I now just use a regular mask for snorkeling. Can't see squat, but lovely, flowing colors! Mrs. Magoo...Queen of progressive trifocals. $$$$$

LisaK January 6th, 2010 10:06 AM

if you can wear them, contact lens are the perfect solution, you would get more use out of contact lens opposed to a prescription rx mask. I wear bi-focals glasses, and i do fine snorkeling, the water plus the snorkel mask acts as a natural magnifer

salwolfe December 7th, 2010 10:07 PM

First time I went on a cruise and decided to snorkle, I was concerned about not seeing well enough. But, to my pleasant surprise, snorkling with bad nearsightedness, no eyeglasses, and no lens correction on the goggles, was no problem. Seems that the water, or something, acts as a magnifier and I was able to see quite well. I have maybe 20/60 eyesight.

Zack Adams December 19th, 2010 12:46 PM

My local dive shop had inserts that were just general corrections that worked well enough to letvyou see clearly. Just contact a dive shop and they can help you.

BTW these were glass inserts so they are very tough!