Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Default Inside or Outside

In the opinion of the cruise experts on this board would you say that an inside cabin for a 7 day cruise is preferable thereby saving a good chunk of dollars or an outside cabin which I believe is larger ?

The cruise is to the Panama Canal.
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Henry,
If you can swing it, an outside would be nice. A balcony would be even nicer, but get what you can afford.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Admiral

i agree with Donna, i definately prefer and outside and if you can swing the extra cost of a balcony especially for a Panama Canal cruise then definately go for it
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Default Balcony

We had a balcony on our Alaska cruise and only went on it once .We booked an outside for Panama but my wife is wavering now
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh Henry,
You only went out on your balcony once for an Alaska cruise...We practily lived on the balcony, the scenery is amazing, it was fun just to sit and watch.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

There are some itineraries, which I think a balcony is just special to book..the Canal is one of those cruises. At the very least get that window!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; January 6th, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
In the opinion of the cruise experts on this board would you say that an inside cabin for a 7 day cruise is preferable thereby saving a good chunk of dollars or an outside cabin which I believe is larger ?

The cruise is to the Panama Canal.
Henry:

This is a very subjective question and one that many people wrestle with. It really depends on how much time you are really in your cabin and your budget.

Here is my personal opinion:
I have sailed once, I said once, in an inside cabin. It was a fourteen day China/Asia cruise and while it was one of the best cruises I have ever been on I have to say that I will NEVER sail in an inside cabin again. The cabin was a large,180 sq. ft. cabin on HAL's Statendam, but I developed "inside cabin psychosis" after four or five days. The first thing in the morning I was up and on deck, in my sweat pants and t-shirt, because I had to get out of there. I was ready to rip the fake curtains off the wall. Yeah sure, there's a window behind those curtains. I also tried to figure how to get the worthless couch out of there and throw it overboard without the cabin steward or staff seeing or knowing that I did it.

I have 28 cruises under my belt and my first cruise was in a full suite on Celebrity. Perhaps if I had done an inside for my first cruise I would be able to handle an inside and perhaps my portfolio would be a bit larger but I book only a balcony, mini-suite or suite. I admit that I am spoiled but I love the space and the balcony. I love to sit on the balcony and just watch the wake, ocean or the stars. For me it's one of the best parts of cruising.

The final decision is yours but I would go with the outside. At least there is a "real" window behind the curtains.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Hi Henry, I so agree with Mike! I could never cruise in an inside cabin. I'd be going to the Lido deck and sleeping under the stars !

On a Canal cruise I'd definitely recommend at least an outside cabin, but a balcony cabin would be great!

I'm very surprised that you didn't make use of your balcony on the Alaska cruise. What kept you from using the balcony? Was it too cold? We were on our balcony (wrapped up for sure !) many times during our Alaska cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree, it is completely a personal choice. I would LOVE a bigger cabin for more space, I would die for a balcony or suite! With that said, all of my cruises have been booked with an nside cabin based on finances. Personally, I would rather save my money for more shopping, excursions etc.

With this said, I am a person who spends little to no timein my cabin. I am out at the crack of dawn and out until late at night! Really just a place to sleep and shower for me. I have nevr had an issue sitting up on deck and enjoying the views (I loved Alaska!). Also, I consider myself an overpacker...always have been, probably will continue to be, but I have always had plenty of room. The last cruisehad 3 of us in an inside cabin..stil not an issue. Again this is only my opinion, but if you plan to spend little time in your room...splurge on other things! Have fun!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Admiral

We booked an Outside cabin and received an upgrade to a Balcony . We were not in the cabin that much and only stepped out on the balcony briefly
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Just came back from the Coral Princess thru the Panama Canal (Full Transit)

We found the balcony great for looking around in privacy away from the

crowds.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
We had a balcony on our Alaska cruise and only went on it once .We booked an outside for Panama but my wife is wavering now
Only once? WOW! Whe love the balcony and spend alot of time on it. Just goes to show different strokes for different folks.

Need some cruise help?
ALLURE, 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Admiral

My wife is very adamant about wanting to change to an inside cabin .She feels that we can leave a light on during the night and early in the morning put on the HAL station on TV to get a weather report .Two friends of hers have cruised all over the world ,more than 20 times each and always with an Inside cabin and have never had a problem .
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Henry, one thing that the others didn't mention is the fact that the Panama Canal is jungle, tropical HOT, HOT, HOT unberable humidity at times, you really don't want to be out on deck for long periods of time going thru the canal if you don't have to, people were passing out from the heat on our canal transit cruise. We had an outside for our canal cruise and it was nice to be able to retreat out of heat for a bit and still be able to see the sights. From that cruise on we only book balcony staterooms and we are out there first thing in the morning to have our breakfast, take in the sights, and just have a private place to veg whenever we want to.
I did an inside once and for the same reasons that Mike said i will never do an inside again, i need to see the sun and to know if it is am or pm
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Admiral

After 43 years of marriage I finally got my way-an Outside cabin ,
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Thrilled for you both!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Henry we have always booked inside cabins and once did we get upgraded to a balcony (no charge to us) and while my husband did use the balcony some it was mainly when we were in port. We too spend very little time in tha cabin and feel that we don't need to pay for more than an inside. I have a fear of falling (not hights) so we had to be docked for me to go on the balcony, and I still ws not really comfortable.

Also we like it dark at night and though the curtains were good still if the sun was up earlier than we wanted to be it did wake us, so we will stick to inside.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Admiral

My wife is not into cruise message boards ,she leaves that to me ,lol