Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Have you ever had to make an insurance claim?

What was the outcome of any insurance claim you had to make from a mishap while cruising, lost luggage, etc.

Almost daily we hear some sad story about a missed ship, some weather issues, etc.

I've had to file a claim with a travel insurance company and have it handled OK. Once it took quite a few phone calls to get it going, but in the end I was happy.

Lets hear your stories, both good and bad.

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM
First Mate

I've had to file a claim twice. First time was coming home from a cruise and we got stuck in Cincinnati. They closed the airport due to tornadoes. Second time was on the Conquest in November 2006 when someone jumped off the ship the last night out.

First, I got all the information available about why there was a delay. For the airport being closed, I got a statement from the airline. For the Conquest, I printed news articles about the incident.

Second, I called the insurance company as soon as I could, which was before disembarking the ship and after the airport closed and we knew we would have to spend the night.

Third, I saved all receipts for the cost to change flights, hotel room, rental car, lost luggage claims and food, etc.

Fourth, I made sure all my paperwork was completed correctly and kept copies of everything I had sent.

So far, no problems receiving reimbursement.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Hi Donna, we use RBC Freedom Plan. After one cruise we got to the Dallas airport on a Sunday and our flight into Little Rock had been cancelled. We were told that it would be Tuesday before we could fly out . They did have a flight to Memphis that had two seats available. We flew to Memphis, rented a car, and drove to the Little Rock airport.

We filed for a refund for the car rental and were sent a check within two weeks. No, not a "biggie" and I wasn't even sure it would be covered, but we had no problems .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Captain

Hi Donna,

We have had a couple of claims. One was for lost luggage and had no problem at all.

The other involved a very minor accident on board with a bill of about $80, from the physician onboard. We had cruise insurance and they told us that even though Medicare would deny the claim, our cruise insurance could not process our claim until we received a rejection from Medicare. Well long story short, it has now been over two months and we are still waiting for our denial. Sometimes you just have to hang in there and keep after them!!

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
What was the outcome of any insurance claim you had to make from a mishap while cruising, lost luggage, etc.

Almost daily we hear some sad story about a missed ship, some weather issues, etc.

I've had to file a claim with a travel insurance company and have it handled OK. Once it took quite a few phone calls to get it going, but in the end I was happy.

Lets hear your stories, both good and bad.
Yes three times:

1. I was scheduled for a river cruise on the Danube to the Black Sea. I came up with a very painful kidney stone. Had to cancel cruise. The insurance company paid the full amount for myself and my wife. Amounted to $9,000 to $10,000. Was very happy with insurance.

2. The second time my luggage did not arrive in Itlaly. Insurence paid for some new clothes,etc.

3. The third time I had to see the ships doctor and insurance paid in full.
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

So far, the claims that I've read about have been positive, good thing. Some take longer than others, but in any case, at least we've been covered. I just hate to hear the sad stories of missed cruises and no insurance and expecting the cruiseline to just pick up the tab, give a free cruise, etc. Just doesn't work that way and we all work hard to be able to afford to go on a cruise, I wouldn't jepordize all that money, insurance is the way to go.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Cool Insurance

We have had to cancel/file a claim at least twice that I remember..the first when Parrot Pop came down with bleeding ulcers and was hospitalized just before a trip...and the second that comes to memory is a Colles fractured wrist on a ship where after the regular insurance covered it including surgery the travel insurance paid for the physical therapy, etc. and I don't remember what the third one was, but there was...this was about 20years ago.. We were recompensated without any problems.