CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Cruise Insurance (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/370789-cruise-insurance.html)

BettyBooper January 13th, 2010 09:35 AM

Cruise Insurance

Should I take the cruise line's insurance policy? My TA asked if I wanted to take our Royal Caribbean's insurance policy for my cruise. I told her I would get back to her.

Is the cruise line's insurance better than other travel insurance? If I don't take the cruise line insurance where can I find a good private insurance?

I have an American Express platinum card but I don't think its travel coverage would cover the things that could happen on a cruise. I know it won't cover a hangover. :D

Thanks,
BB

Kimbopolo January 13th, 2010 09:55 AM

What does your TA say? Mine found a policy that was 40% less expensive than the cruise line's offering.

Phil&Liz January 13th, 2010 05:22 PM

Many on here have had positive experiences using insuremytrip.com.

There is a current thread here about one company offered at that site that has not performed well for them.

Insurance is a very good thing to get no matter where you get it.

Phil & Liz

Nurse Debra January 13th, 2010 06:04 PM

BB,

I have not sailed RCCL, so I have no knowledge of the cost and coverage of their insurance.

On Princess for our first five cruises we found cheaper cruise insurance by using an independent company. After five cruises on Princess they then offer a free insurance upgrade. So after five cruises it became became cheaper to go with the cruise line insurance.

If you decide to go for independent insurance be sure and check out the reliability of the company.

Most importantly, whatever you decide, I strongly recommend purchasing insurance for any cruise.

Debra

Mike M January 13th, 2010 06:34 PM

To answer your main question: I believe that cruise insurance is designed to protect the cruise line as much or more than it is to protect you.

The site that Phil & Liz mentioned is a good one to find and compare different, independent, travel insurance policies. Make sure that the company has an A rating or better.

Medical and Medical Evacuation are the most important parts of cruise insurance. Losing the cost of your cruise will not cause true financial hardship. You have already paid for the cruise and all you are really out is the joy of going. It is terrible but not catastrophic. A $100,000 + medical evacuation and foreign medical care will cause severe financial hardship.

I'm not saying forgo cruise reimbursement insurance but make sure you have the medical and evacuation.

Take care,
Mike

Fern January 13th, 2010 08:19 PM

We never buy the insurance offered by the cruise line. I know it's not very likely, but if the insurance is underwritten by a cruise line (or one of their subsidiaries) and they go out of business you're pretty much out of luck :(.

We do buy travel insurance, but we do it on our own.

JMHO,