Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Familiar Face

Being new to cruise, and not experiencing my first until the Allure -Dec. 12th, I do not have the first hand experience of being affected by these things, but I do have an opinion and if permited, I will share.

Personaly, while I wouldn't want to be negitivly impacted by these perks granted to other cruisers...I fully support the right of the cruise line to make tese perks availible. To me, it is the same principle as going to a concert as a press member and getting to sit in the press seats section. Sure I'd love those seats, but the seats do not belong to ME, the belong to the venue. The venue has every right to decide who they allow to sit there, and when.
On a cruise ship, if you do not like not having the priority perks, then spend enough money to buy yourself that privledge.

A better example of this might be the speed, or zip passes being sold at six flags and other theme parks. You pay an extra fee and you get to go through a faster line and bypass the long wait of the other customers. the park has a right to sell the service. if you want the perk, then spend the money. You get what you pay for, and you do not have the right to what you have not paid for. More power to those who have bought and earned the privledge to these perks.

I understand that no one wants to watch someone get better then they are getting, or bypassing the lines and processes everyone else has to go through. but, the cruise line has every right to sell this service for there own profits and consumer retention by giving these much desired perks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I agree people should not cut in line inreasonably. But I try not to judge - maybe they have a tour to catch, or maybe they are platinum status and have been given that right.

I "hate" people in business class - but they have a right to be there.

But that brings up another question - is it right for the cruise lines to give "priority boarding" to platinum status? Is it right to give them front row seats at shows?

It's a bit different from doing their laundry and giving them a discount on Internet time - their goodies come at your expense.
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Default Get what you pay for

My husband and I are booked for our 3rd cruise in as many years next May 2011
Departing from NYC -- Anytime Dining -- Off-Shore Excursions = water activities

We prefer "waiving the automatic gratuity" $20/day for 8 days = $160
We give to those who have enhanced our cruise experience

Cruise One - Princess: Balcony Stateroom - Starboard - to see sunset going
and sunrise returning .... ultimate balcony dining ... scuba ....
but the hurricane sent us to Port Canavaral .... no P.R./no St.Thos
they "lost" our luggage... but since we bought cruise protection insurance
we used the policy claim to book -- oh ... learned that guaranteed gratuity
was not mandatory --- paid half -- cash tipped those who made our experience
better --- they told us all tips must be "surrendered" to a common pot...

Crusie Two - Carnival Fun Ship --- finally got to P.R. and St. Thomas
but rain ... rain ... rain ... Carnival made all port itiniaries ... but rain... rain...
but we had upgraded to extended balcony stateroom .... insisted on chaise
loungers on balcony ... obtained by cabin stewardess ... from I DON"T CARE WHERE
$tip .... margaritas the way I want them (with three wedges of lime) ... $tip
Anytime table seating -- we will feed you when you are ready to eat ... $tips

Cruise Three -- Carnival .... we upgraded again ... Oceanview Suite ...
oh yeah, found out we're Gold Members ... did not know on Cruise Two
that Princess/Carnival were subsidiaries re: Past Guest Passengers..
this time we know we have priority boarding...still leaving from NYC

My point.... I am glad I found this website ... I am willing to pay for
what I want ... I want to know all I entitled to for my money....

so share ....
Old December 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

If you must use tobacco aboard ship, electronic cigarettes and nicotine patches are now a viable alternative. Some passengers actually experience serious health difficulties when exposed to second-hand smoke.