Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Cruise Employees/Perks

This is a delicate question Paul and Kuki...is it possible that we have cruisers who maybe employees of cruise lines acting as is they are just enthusiatic cruisers for their favorite line.. Wasn't there last year a scandal about one cruise line who had people promoting their particular line. I'm not just talking about one person in particular but several who only think their cruise line is the BEST..no matter what and whatever comments other cruisers happen to make about a ship they have just been on. It seems there are cheerleaders on the board regardless of when anybody else is positive about their cruise.

Last edited by Parrot Mom; January 31st, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2010, 08:42 PM
Captain

The cruise line you were referring about the scandal is Royal Caribbean, parent company of Celebrity. It was about a year ago that a group of posters were exposed who obviously posted things that met the approval of Royal Caribbean and their divisions were solicited from another cruise board and formed a group called "Royal Champions".

While these posters may or may not have been influenced by the program, these posters were rewarded with free preview cruises on new ships as they were introduced and probably other perks on RCL/Celebrity. For some I suppose this would just be regarded as clever advertising, but for me it seemed a rather questionable endeavor.

After the story broke, I have read that the program has now been cancelled. Whether the program was actually ended by Royal Caribbean, I would have no way to know.

Perhaps Paul could weigh in on that one.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com

Last edited by Nurse Debra; January 31st, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Admiral

I'm usually very enthusiatic during my cruises, because I really enjoy them.

I have allways had excellent cruises on Celebrity and I am very positive about it without being an employee.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Admiral

While the Royal Champions were outed last year, I think there are many cruisers that for a variety of reasons begin cruising on a particular line and become such big fans they can't imagine anybody not enjoying the experience. But some folks have become over zealous by shouting down anyone who posts a bad experience.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There will always be "cheerleaders" for any cruise line. Many people who are regular cruisers of a particular line, or have just cruised that line, take any negative comments as a personal attack on them and their cruise line of choice. It's the same as when someone makes a post and it is commented on or challenged, in a civil manner, and the OP can only respond with a personal attack or think that people are attacking them. Some folks have thin skins or just love stirring the pot.

The true cheerleaders are often the people who will automatically accuse someone who makes any remark against a line or ship as a troll or that the poster is lying. I love it when someone labels a person a troll because they haven't responded to their thread within an hour of originally posting it. Most people aren't on the boards 7x24 and actually visit only once or twice a day.

The Royal Champions were basically people who loved Royal Caribbean and posted their love of it. Royal Caribbean didn't "tell" them that they had to defend or talk up the line but they did give them perks and that was seen as influencing their comments.

There is nothing wrong in sticking up for a cruise line or challenging someone's opinion it's when people go to the extreme of either positive or negative is when their opinion and information loses its relevance and the poster loses their credibility.

There is also the other end of the spectrum of those who post a negative comment and can only respond with an attack when someone challenges that comment.

There will always be people who will stick up for a cruise line and I don't blame them. They love the line and that is their choice. There will also always be people who will have issues with a line and they too have every right to voice their issues.

If the boards were all cheerleaders or gripers it would be pretty dang boring.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me