CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   early flight - best way from miami to lauderdale? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/371419-early-flight-best-way-miami-lauderdale.html)

CruisingKitties February 3rd, 2010 03:10 PM

early flight - best way from miami to lauderdale?

Hello - Any opinions on the best way to get from the Port of Miami to the Ft Lauderdale airport? We need to try and catch an 11:00 am flight from Ft Lauderdale upon returning from our cruise at the Port of Miami. Is a taxi best?
Are we crazy to try and beat the clock? thank you

Rivilian February 3rd, 2010 03:44 PM

Concerning disembarkation and THEN a journey to Miami, here's what our travel agent advised us:

Our cruise begins and ends in Fort Lauderdale.

The travel agent insisted that we should NOT book a flight from Fort Lauderdale any earlier than noon, and this is when the port and the airport are within a few miles of one another. As with planes, he advised (insisting this came from generous experience with Fort Lauderdale as a departure point), so also with disembarkation: there can be delays out of the passengers' or the ship's control. Rather, he advised us to book a flight in the early afternoon (at the earliest). So, we booked a flight from FLL back home departing the airport at 2:00 PM local time.

Now, you're wanting to depart from Fort Lauderdale airport at 11:00 AM, right? Ordinarily, you'd need to get to the airport a minimum of 30 minutes before flight time, and more likely an hour before flight time to be on the safe side (traffic jams, auto wrecks on the freeway, etc.). Which means you'd need to depart the port, luggage in hand, with enough time to get to Fort Lauderdale's airport by 10:00 AM.

Our TA tells us that disembarkation does not actually get underway until around 8:00 AM.

Unless he's spinning fables, I don't see how you can make it from Miami to Fort Lauderdale in time to catch an 11:00 AM flight.

ScurvyDog February 3rd, 2010 06:45 PM

That is cutting it too close. I would not try it.

Aerogirl February 3rd, 2010 06:52 PM

I don't think your going to make an 11:00 am flight. And if by chance you do great. You can't count on being off the ship by 8:00am, why put that kind of pressure on yourself.

Trip February 3rd, 2010 08:30 PM

Given any custom issues onboard, the traffic that may occur on rte 95, the odds are just not in your favor you could make it without, depends and a gallon of pepto bismal. Also factor in the long security lines, especially if it's a Saturday, and the 4000 Oasis passengers are going home as well:(

Here is a link to the transfer company I have used ..inexpensive, and reputable..ask them, but, I can bet on the answer.

Cruise Lines served by SAS Transport

Fern February 3rd, 2010 08:42 PM

First, look at the price of the flights. If the 11:00 flight is a lot cheaper than later flights, there's no way you can make it!

IMO, I wouldn't try it. FtL port to FtL airport, yes. Miami to FtL, no way :(. Even if you get off the ship at the earliest opportunity, remember you have to get to the airport, check in, and go through security (and who knows how long that will take!).

I wouldn't want to spend my cruise worrying about it.

Kamloops Cruiser February 4th, 2010 09:25 AM

I wouldn't try it either . When we left LAX there was a two hour wait just to check in for :confused:some flights heading east.

blueliner February 4th, 2010 10:13 AM

I have made flights as early as 10am out of Ft. Lauderdale, but only when we have disembarked from Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale. You do have some things working in your favor. Depending on what airline and cruiseline, there are ways to really speed up your disembarkation and airport check-in. First, most cruiselines have a self-debarkation policy, which allows you to walk off the ship right away with your own baggage when the ship docks. You just need to let the cruiseline know ahead of time you have an early flight and need to disembark early. Of course this is dependant on the number of bags you have and are you able to do this.

Second, most airlines allow you to check-in online up to 24 hours ahead of time. You can use the onboard internet cafe to do this. Third, depending on the airline, most have self-serve kiosks for baggage check-in, so if you check-in for your flight onboard and use the quick self-serve kiosk to check baggage, you can save some real time there, but only if your airline offers those options.

Now a few things working against you. The biggest being getting to the Ft. Lauderdale airport from Miami. If you use a shared shuttle, even if you are able to disembark quickly at 8am, the shuttle might not leave right away until they have more passengers. So you might have to shell out more money for your own dedicated shuttle or a taxi which is going to be very expensive. Second, the traffic is a big variable between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. One accident or traffic jam, and no way you make it. And now the biggest variable of them all, the security lines at the airport. While they usually move quickly, now with the increased scrutiny following the Christmas day incident in Detroit, it is likely to take much longer now to get through security.

Also, check with your airline and see what flights are available later. If you miss your 11am flight, are there later flights they can get you on? Dpending on who is working the counter for your particular airline, sometimes they can take pity on you and give you seats on a later flight if you miss your 11am with no problem or extra-charge, or maybe they play hardball and charge you 1 arm and 2 legs.

One option for you, depending on flight availability and price, is to book a later flight. Then still try to make the 11am flight. If you get to the airport in time and the lines are not long and there are seats available, the airline can put you on the 11am flight. Airlines allow you to go standby on an earlier flight to the same location if you have seats on a later flight for no extracharge.

So bottom line, I probably wouldn't book an 11am out of Ft. Lauderdale unless my ship was docking in Ft. Lauderdale. But it is up to you to weigh the variable here and decide. Either way, good luck!

luv2cruiserccl February 4th, 2010 11:32 AM

well a few years back i know that rccl offered tranfers to FLL. I took a flight to FLL and had a bus waiting which took us right to rccl pier in miami. It was cheaper then a taxi. Call the cruise line and ask what your options are. What time do you arrive in miami and what time is the first to off load?

hockeynut February 4th, 2010 11:38 AM

Like others I wouldn't chance it. I have a cruise that docks in Port Everglades and have a 2pm flight out of FLL. There was an 11 am option but I didn't even want to chance that as there are too many variables.

As mentioned the biggest issue is getting to the airport, then the security at the airport. Also, who knows what type of new security they might come up with at the airport in the future. The TSA could suddenly change the rules/guidelines and require everyone be at the airport 2 hours prior to all flights with no exceptions or have more intense screening procedures that could really delay you if you arrive with not much time to spare.

luv2cruiserccl February 4th, 2010 12:11 PM

Just a thought you could switch your flight to the next day and spent the night in FLL and leave as early as you want the next day.. Just a thought..

Trip February 4th, 2010 12:56 PM

From my experience cruise line transfers must wait to leave till the bus is full, so, that is eating up vauable time..

luv2cruiserccl February 4th, 2010 01:33 PM

ya but what time does the ship get in to port if you have priority off the ship i wonder how soon he could leave. I know in the past i believe it was the white luggage tag's where for people you where first off the ship in the morning. If i remember it was early 7am???? Not sure on time but its early.. Or if your first off and worried about the bus cruise transfer call ahead while still on the ship with your cell phone and have a taxi sitting there waiting to take you to fll airport.

colorcrazie February 4th, 2010 01:51 PM

Regardless of what time the ship docks in Miami, and regardless of whether you can be the first to get off the ship, there is still the issue of immigration. They have to clear the entire ship before a single soul debarks. One problem and everyone will sit there waiting. It doesn't happen very often, but we were on a recent cruise when they kept announcing via loud speaker would so and so please report to the purser's desk. I believe they also have to clear the crew as well as passengers, since crew members often get off the ships after the pax, so that they can shop for essentials oR just get a change of scenery. But the bottom line is that you have NO control over what time you actually get off the ship.
Add that to all the other factors mentioned here and your flight may leave without you. No worth the risk, in my book.
Good luck!
mARTY

Fern February 4th, 2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner (Post 1271887)
One option for you, depending on flight availability and price, is to book a later flight. Then still try to make the 11am flight. If you get to the airport in time and the lines are not long and there are seats available, the airline can put you on the 11am flight. Airlines allow you to go standby on an earlier flight to the same location if you have seats on a later flight for no extracharge.

We tried this on our last cruise and it wasn't allowed because the TSA wants your bags on your flight. (Or at least that was the rule that day ;)).

luv2cruiserccl February 5th, 2010 07:46 AM

People we are only talking a few min's difference from going from the port of Miami to MIA which is 14min's and port of Miami to FLL is 31 min's so its only 14 min's per yahoo maps and its all highway. So i would not count out not going to fll over 14 mins...... Only thing i noticed thou that approx taxi fares are quite a difference. port of Miami to MIA approx $24.00 and port of Miami to FLL approx $70.00 so that's approx $46.00 not sure of that's per person or not... I would think the cruise line transfer "might" be cheaper i would call and check. I found the taxi info of the port of Miami's web page
http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami...Fares_2008.pdf

blueliner February 5th, 2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1271991)
We tried this on our last cruise and it wasn't allowed because the TSA wants your bags on your flight. (Or at least that was the rule that day ;)).

That is true IF you have already checked your baggage for the later flight you are confirmed on. Port of Miami and many other ports now give cruisers the opportunity to check their baggage for their flights right at the peir when they disembark. However, if you arrive at the airport early enough and have not already checked your baggage, then the airline counter personnel have the option of putting you and your baggage on the earlier flight IF seats are available.

blueliner February 5th, 2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl (Post 1272065)
People we are only talking a few min's difference from going from the port of Miami to MIA which is 14min's and port of Miami to FLL is 31 min's so its only 14 min's per yahoo maps and its all highway. So i would not count out not going to fll over 14 mins...... Only thing i noticed thou that approx taxi fares are quite a difference. port of Miami to MIA approx $24.00 and port of Miami to FLL approx $70.00 so that's approx $46.00 not sure of that's per person or not... I would think the cruise line transfer "might" be cheaper i would call and check. I found the taxi info of the port of Miami's web page
http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami...Fares_2008.pdf

I don't think Yahoo Maps is taking into consideration the traffic in Miami or on the interstate highway between FLL and MIA. The last 2 times I attended Cruise360 in FLL, I rented a car and visitied my buddy that works for RCI, and both times it took me well over an hour to get from the FLL airport to his office in the RCCL building, which is at the Port of Miami. I recall there being a traffic tie up every time, and I've never made it from the MIA airport ot the Port in 14 minutes on any of my cruises, about a half an hour has been my experience with traffic and security.

That is not saying the OP couldn't make it, maybe they have relieved the traffic or when the OP returns from their cruise the traffic will be light that day. What I and most others are saying, is you cannot COUNT on light traffic and making that trip in 31 minutes. There are just way too many variables here; will the ship arrive in port on time? Will the ship get cleared and get through Customs and Immigration in time? Will I get an early disembark from the ship? Will my bus or shuttle leave early enought to get to FLL? WIll the traffic cooperate on my drive to FLL? How long will it take to get through security at FLL? Virtually everything would have to fall into line perfectly to make an 11am flight out of FLL from the Port of Miami. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but just some things for the OP to think about when they decide what flight to book.

Fern February 5th, 2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner (Post 1272101)
That is true IF you have already checked your baggage for the later flight you are confirmed on. Port of Miami and many other ports now give cruisers the opportunity to check their baggage for their flights right at the peir when they disembark. However, if you arrive at the airport early enough and have not already checked your baggage, then the airline counter personnel have the option of putting you and your baggage on the earlier flight IF seats are available.

Scott,
Thanks for clarifying that! We always use the Luggage Valet service if it's offered, so that's why we couldn't take the earlier flight. We thought it was strange, but now it makes sense :D!

luv2cruiserccl February 8th, 2010 07:41 AM

So just wondering what airline's do the baggage at the pier service for the different cruise line's anyone know? I thought possible that American was one for royal Caribbean but i can not remember was just curious if anyone can remember.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1272182)
Scott,
Thanks for clarifying that! We always use the Luggage Valet service if it's offered, so that's why we couldn't take the earlier flight. We thought it was strange, but now it makes sense :D!

Fern February 8th, 2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl (Post 1272637)
So just wondering what airline's do the baggage at the pier service for the different cruise line's anyone know? I thought possible that American was one for royal Caribbean but i can not remember was just curious if anyone can remember.

I know that it's offered by Princess and American Airlines, but not on every cruise. There's no way to know until about halfway through your cruise when they'll leave a notice in your mailbox. Even then, you might not be able to use the service. It appears to depend on the TSA clearing each person.

luv2cruiserccl February 24th, 2010 11:04 AM

OK people i have to "admit" that my post here about being able to make a flight from any port that is a little drive from your cruise post my thought's have changed. I have a story why this is.. So here is goes. My Brother and Sister in-law where cruising on the voyager of the seas in Galveston, TX thou it is roughly 1.5 hrs from the Houston "iah" airport to the port of Galveston there trip down and making the ship was great, but the way home was a different story.

If i remember right they did not get in to port till 130-200pm "where scheduled to arrive at 7am" and looks like the ship did not leave till 3-4am this morning all this due to fog.. The only way they mad there 330pm flight from Houston was to skip the shuttle and get a cab. Even thou the cab ride cost $240.00 to the airport....When they told me that i was like wow.. American airlines told them that if they missed there flight it would not be till "mid week" before they could be a flight home to Michigan. So they thought it was cheaper to pay that cab fare then have to pay for a hotel for the next few day's etc. So since this post was here i thought i would pass this along. I wonder what it was like last night for all the people who where trying to board VOS. On rccl's site they said not to arrive to the port till 6pm. What do you do if you are already at the pier at noon or so or you are check out of your hotel room? That would be a long time just to sit around with your luggage.. So even thou Florida may or may not have this problem this is something to think about go to and leaving your cruise vacation.