Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
First Mate

Default Avoiding Spring Break

We are looking at an April 19th departure to the Carribean but want to avoid the Spring Break crowds.

Do you think we will miss the break during this time? Won't most spring breaks be over?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default H1N1 - was it all hype?

The cruise world went through all kinds of gyrations because of H1N1 - especially when Napolitano said it was dangerous, Joe Biden said he wpuldn't get on a plane, etc.

Now, there have been NO new cases of H1N1 reported in the US in the last 4 weeks.

The European Nations are investigating the drug companies to see if they "over-hyped" it.

For example, France bought 60,000,000 doses and so far only 5,000,000 have been requested by their citizens. Those vaccine doses cost a lot apiece, and the govt of France spent billions of dollars.

Now that the threat is over the vaccine is useless.

Now - some could argue that it went away because so many people were vaccinated, but France shows that only between 5 - 10% of the population got dosed. The same is true is other countries.

Germany is especially irate about it. They feel they were duped. The 40-nation European council is holding hearings on this.

I felt all along the media was really over-hyping it, and the government didn't help. I know, "better safe that sorry," but as the German Health Minister said... "Sars, Avian Flu, etc... they have all been over-hyped. Why don't we learn from history?"

That was exactly what I was thinking all along.

What do you think? Cruises to Mexico are still a bargain, just because. Go to Mexico and have a fun cruise. I did it in January.
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
We are looking at an April 19th departure to the Carribean but want to avoid the Spring Break crowds.

Do you think we will miss the break during this time? Won't most spring breaks be over?

Thanks!
You should be fine. Most spring breaks are in March and the 1st week in April. Typically after Easter weekend, the spring breaks are done.
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM
First Mate

Thanks, hockeynut! That's what I was hoping to hear.
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:36 AM
david30101

I will be on the Fantasy Apr 19th 2010. Alone..Im trying to avoid Spring Break as well. Even though Carnival isnt a good choice if your trying to avoid kids.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well .... keep in mind Carnival has a rule that anyone under the age of 21 has to be traveling with someone 25 or older. They do not just allow a bunch of kids to book.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:36 AM
First Mate

I'm not concerned about kids. Just want to avoid a shipful of 20-something partyers.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
david30101

That is my defination of kids..20 somthings...Dosent matter if the younger ones are with adults or not..Some or most adults and parents let there kids roam the ship by themselves anyhow..and some are routy also.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Admiral

well Easter is April 4th this year so you would avoid the public schools vacation, and most colleges have their spring breaks in early April.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Even during Spring Break times(Mid-March to Mid-April), you can avoid Spring Break Crowds. Most Spring Breakers will be on Royal Caribbean or NCL(due to age policies) if they cruise, and there is no way to know how crowded ports are. Carnival may have some spring breakers sailing with family, but Royal Caribbean and NCL will have far more as they will accept 21 and over where Carnival accepts 25 or over. If you want a little more quiet, you may wish to consider Celebrity, as they seem to be cheaper than Royal Caribbean most of the time, for some odd reason. In any case, during Spring Break times, you should still be ok to go on most cruises as most lines do keep the problems to a minimum after some incidents years ago.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
First Mate

I did not know that about the age minimums. Interesting.

We DO plan to go with Celebrity and more of the premium lines in the future. Thanks!
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Admiral

To clarify, you do not have to be 25 to sail on Carnival. But, if you are under 21, then you must be booked in a cabin with someone 25 or older. It does keep hordes of underage partiers from turning the ship into a frat party.
Marty