Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default cell phone usage on RCCL

Hello all!!

So does anyone know what you have to do in order to make your cell phone's work to make call's to the USA from the ship. I have a brother and sister in-law on the voyager and they are trying to call home using the cell phone on the ships network and all they get is a Spanish error MSG. They are able to send me text Mag's OK but not phone call's to the usa... ANY idea's ???? Thank you

Feb 2001 Majesty of the seas
March 2002 Majesty of the seas
Nov 2002 Majesty of the seas
March 2005 Explorer of the seas
March 2006 Adventure of the seas
March 2008 Freedom of the seas (Married onboard the Freedom of the Sea's)

March 2012 Freedom of the sea's
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl View Post
Hello all!!

So does anyone know what you have to do in order to make your cell phone's work to make call's to the USA from the ship. I have a brother and sister in-law on the voyager and they are trying to call home using the cell phone on the ships network and all they get is a Spanish error MSG. They are able to send me text Mag's OK but not phone call's to the usa... ANY idea's ???? Thank you
hello i actually think i figured it out since they all ready and international roaming added before they left they just had to dial 011+1+number in order to get it to work..

Old February 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That's it.

Depending on the carrier a text message is received with the dialing instructions when they hit a different country.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
That's it.

Depending on the carrier a text message is received with the dialing instructions when they hit a different country.

Take care,
Mike

ya its verizon i assume they will be using the cruise line's network and not the country they are visiting when they use the 011 code? And assuming that they are on the ship etc

Old February 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In Mexico and on the ship they will first dial the International Access code (011) then the country code for USA (1) then the area code and number.

When they are in port they will be on the "local" cell service. The ship automatically turns its cell system off when a local signal is detected.

It is less expensive to dial from port than while the ship is at sea. Local charges for Mexico are .99 per minute and on the ship it is $2.95 per minute.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old February 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
In Mexico and on the ship they will first dial the International Access code (011) then the country code for USA (1) then the area code and number.

When they are in port they will be on the "local" cell service. The ship automatically turns its cell system off when a local signal is detected.

It is less expensive to dial from port than while the ship is at sea. Local charges for Mexico are .99 per minute and on the ship it is $2.95 per minute.

Take care,
Mike

thanks for the info mike. I had not read that while in port there ship system is shut off, thats good information to know.

Old February 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes: It is required by law. Local people would get pretty mad if they were in the port area and picked up the ship's cell service.

Take care,
Mike

Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:04 AM
Beginner

Thumbs up I used a new service that just came out.....

If you have a wifi capable phone you can call back to the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico for as little as $15 per cruise (plus wifi cost). For example, the ship phone is about $6.99 per minute which is rediculous. Your normal cell call is about $3.00 per min (if you can even get a signal). With this service you buy the ships wifi time-60 minutes for $24. Then add the $15 service for Unlimited wifi calls. Plus a one time $3.95 connect fee to the ships wifi....and BOOM...I had 60 minutes of phone time/Internet time for $42 bucks. Using the ship's service at $6.99/minute, I would have only talked for 6 friggin' minutes. It averaged out to be about $.70 cents per minute. I have NEVER heard of anything like this before. 60 minutes of calling from the cruise ship's phone would have cost me $420 bucks or my monthly truck payment. The only catch is....you MUST have a phone that can connect to the Internet.

A friend told me about the service and I believe they are at The Travel Phone

I would reccommend it to everyone!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveldudeusa View Post
If you have a wifi capable phone you can call back to the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico for as little as $15 per cruise (plus wifi cost). For example, the ship phone is about $6.99 per minute which is rediculous. Your normal cell call is about $3.00 per min (if you can even get a signal). With this service you buy the ships wifi time-60 minutes for $24. Then add the $15 service for Unlimited wifi calls. Plus a one time $3.95 connect fee to the ships wifi....and BOOM...I had 60 minutes of phone time/Internet time for $42 bucks. Using the ship's service at $6.99/minute, I would have only talked for 6 friggin' minutes. It averaged out to be about $.70 cents per minute. I have NEVER heard of anything like this before. 60 minutes of calling from the cruise ship's phone would have cost me $420 bucks or my monthly truck payment. The only catch is....you MUST have a phone that can connect to the Internet.

A friend told me about the service and I believe they are at The Travel Phone

I would reccommend it to everyone!

That is a really good idea i am going to have to do some more research on this... So is that kinda like the vonage wi-fi phone i assume? the same idea at least???

Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Default Yep...it is a cool service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl View Post
That is a really good idea i am going to have to do some more research on this... So is that kinda like the vonage wi-fi phone i assume? the same idea at least???

Yes...its like vonage from your cell but you can call back to US, Canada & Puerto Rico as long as you have a wifi signal. It also works anywhere in the world you have a wifi signal..not just on a cruise but also at hotels, airports..etc. Cool service.... Family going on a cruise in June and I will be using again......