Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Travel Agent Fees

Are travel agents starting to charge fees for services that were formally covered by their commissions? Is this a trend, or is my TA out of line?
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Captain

I am sorry to say that yes some agents are charging fees. Commissions have been cut so much that they have to charge for their work. Most charge a fee then if you book with them they refund or credit the fee.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdgp View Post
Are travel agents starting to charge fees for services that were formally covered by their commissions? Is this a trend, or is my TA out of line?
For a cruise I wouldn't work with an agent who charges a service fee for handling your booking PERIOD.

Air fare maybe, because there's no commissions from the airlines.

Some agents will charge a small fee if you cancel your booked cruise. But, even in that case I wouldn't pay more than $25-30.

There are plenty of good agents who don't charge any fees.
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Captain

Many agents spend time looking for the DEAL & booking trips etc only to have the person cancel or transfer to another agent
They do not get any commission for good will so they are now charging for their time

Would you work for free
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu48 View Post
Many agents spend time looking for the DEAL & booking trips etc only to have the person cancel or transfer to another agent
They do not get any commission for good will so they are now charging for their time

Would you work for free
That is no different from anyone who works on a commission basis. They get paid for what they produce.

You don't pay a real estate agent for showing you homes, a car salesman for showing you cars, a clothing sales person for showing you clothing, etc. etc.

It is their choice when deciding to work at a job where renumeration is based on commissions based on their sales.

Sorry.. I don't think it's my job to contribute to their salaries for "showing me their wares". And I also certainly don't feel guilty saving money by purchasing the same product elsewhere for less.

If a travel agent wants to be paid for doing the job, with no matter of if they closed the deal or not, they are in the wrong profession, and need to find a salaried position.

BTW... I put myself through college (years ago ) selling men's clothing on commission.

Last edited by Kuki; February 20th, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Zdgp,
What is the fee your agent is charging you for?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Admiral

My TA charges a fee for bookings of airlines or cruises that include air.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
If a travel agent wants to be paid for doing the job, with no matter of if they closed the deal or not, they are in the wrong profession, and need to find a salaried position.

BTW... I put myself through college (years ago )
I am so glad you can get a salaried job many people are not that fortunate even with a university education.

If there were no TA's how would you get a good deal
The cruise line I guess

Many people put themselves through school so don't understand the statement
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I am so glad you can get a salaried job many people are not that fortunate even with a university education.

The cruise line I guess

Hit a glitch when posting and it repeated my post a bunch of times (since removed) before I finished. I edited to say.. I worked on commission through college selling men's clothing.

So, while I do understand the frustrations of putting in work, and then not making the sale, I still didn't (and don't) expect any customer I worked with to pay me anyway.
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:

The cruise line I guess

I don't need a TA to get a good deal. In fact my TA was a hindrance to me. I researched cruises in my excel template and after doing price comparison on 8 cruises. I picked the one I wanted. I booked Early Saver fare on Carnival use rewards points so I had to use a TA. I watched the price of my cruise for my cabin category and when the price went down I had to use the TA to put in the early saver request. The first 3 times the TA didn't charge me a fee. The fourth time on the biggest price drop the TA wanted to charge me a $50. For doing what? Filling out a form that is so easy my dog could do it.

I'm sorry I don't see the value of a TA for me. I'm trained on how to skip trace on the internet and financial analysis. I put myself through college as a hairstylist it took eight years of hard work. But I have a business degree with an option in fiance. For someone that doesn't want to take the time or doesn't know how than a good TA is worth it. For me I can find better deals without a TA bogging me down in fees. Oh and cruise air is the biggest rip off of all. I priced it out and find I could save $100 per person booking it myself. Plus I came in the day after the cruise and that extra $200 paid for my hotel.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdgp View Post
TA's usually do charge a fee for air as do many popular travel web sites. Most do not charge a fee for cruise travel.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Kuki; February 20th, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Admiral

My experience as a travel agent.....I do not charge a service fee for cruises or land vacations. The airlines do not pay commission; therefore my agency charges a fee for booking air. I always tell my clients this up front and give them the option to book their own air. 99% of my clients want to book their own air. It doesn't seem to be a problem.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Admiral

The company my wonderful TA works for does charge a $25.00 fee for booking a cruise. However, I've never been charged that fee . It's always "disappeared" from my final payment. I'm not sure, but I think she takes the fee out of her commission. I get a good cruise price from her (and the agency) and she always sends a boarding gift.

I like that she'll run "interference" in case of a cruise problem. Also, if the price of a cruise goes down, she's able to lower it (or get OBC) with just a phone call. It's not necessary for her to jump through hoops !

Like most TA's, (MaryLou ) she would charge extra to book air. That's no problem for me to do myself.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Hi Zdgp,
What is the fee your agent is charging you for?
We have used this TA for six years and booked 13 cruise packages through her. We believe we are one of her best individual customers. She works at a medium size agency. The fees started last year.

We are charged $20 for each cruise booked, and $20 for any air deviation. However, the airfare was INCLUDED in the cruise package.

This TA is familiar with all our likes and dislikes with respect cruise vacations. We would hate to start over with someone else, but we think we are being taken for granted.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Admiral

It sounds as though your agent booked the air through the cruise lines, and if so, the cruise lines do charge an air deviation fee (with the exception of some, if you reach certain levels in their repeat cruisers program).

The $20 doesn't sound like much in the overall scheme of things, but I hate paying for someone's work, when I'm already paying for their work with my purchase.
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Well Kuki, when it comes to air you are not paying their fee and don't you think they have a right to at least make enough to pay for their time and paper?

Our agency does charge a service fee for air as there is absolutely no commission. I don't have a problem passing that one to the client however I do tell them upfront about the fee. They are of course free to scout out their own air and some do. However most don't because they want the added security of knowing the times are right and that if there is a problem they have someone to call to help them.

I don't think you would do work for free no matter the circumstances - why should a TA?

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too have paid for air deviations in the past, now I just do my own air arrangements. What I don't understand is the $20 per person to book the cruise itself? Never heard of that.. So far, I have never paid a fee just to book a cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Just in case I didn't make myself clear, I would not and do not charge any fee to book a cruise. That's what the commission is about. I would also point out that when someone books a $199 cruise, by the time all is said and done if I make $2/3 I'm lucky. Usually with all that's involved it costs me money. At the same time, that's the way it goes and I still wouldn't charge for doing that booking.\

However, air is a completely different ball of wax. There is nothing in that one no matter which way you slice it and I do think it' fair to charge $25/35 if the client doesn't want to book the air themselves.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 25th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Even most online agencies of the size of Travelocity or Expedia charge fees for air bookings these days - [note: I do not know the policies of any online agencies, so I may have named one by mistake, this is a general statement about online agencies]. It can vary by what airline or the terms of the flight. However it is usually limited to about $10.00. if you go to an airline web site you don't pay a service fee.

I don't mind paying a fee to someone who does me a real service - getting me a great seat on a non-stop during daylight hours on a flight I couldn't find myself. It's worth it.

But while we always recommend using a TA to book a cruise we say so because we know thet get their commission for the cruise through the cruise line - you pay nothing extra.

Whether or not you feel it is worth paying a fee, and the amount you want to pay, to a Travel Agent to book air is a personal choice.
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree that $20 is insignificant compared to a cruise costing thousands. However, this “insignificant” business works both ways. It reminds me of the old joke from the days of coin telephones. The operator wants another 5 cents, and the caller doesn’t have it. The operator asks: “are you going to argue over a nickel?” The caller responds: “It’s the same nickel you are arguing over.”
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Admiral

I've been working as a TA now for almost 4 years. We usually only charge fees for airline tickets because there is no commission for air tickets. However, we are starting to think about charging a fee for travel consultation. It doesn't happen a lot when it comes to cruise sales, but what does happen for some customers doing land vacations, especially for Mexico and Caribbean resort vacations, is they use our services and recommendations, then go price shopping and book elsewhere. I recently had a honeymoon couple that I spent almost 2 months working with and answered TONS of questions and made LOTS of recommendations, in the end they took all my work and the recommendation I came up with and booked it elsewhere online because it was $60 cheaper! That really irks (the nicest word I could come up with since this is a public board) me! We are considering for all future land vacation clients, to charge a consultation fee of $25 per person, that we would apply to the booking if they book with us.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

$25 for all the work you did for those people is a bargain. How much commission did they cheat you out of by deciding to save $60 after using hours of your time to make the right choices?

I really think that is deplorable. People - book your own cruises or else use a travel agent for advice and let them book the travel.

But DO NOT go to a travel agent for advice and then cheap them out of what could be a very nice commission for them just so you can save $60. That is unbelievably selfish.
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Admiral

The commission would have been about $300+. Since it was for 2 people, we would've charged $50. The agency owner says this has been happening a lot lately with all the agents, and it happens mostly with younger, internet savvy, couples. I guess they haven't learned about hard work and loyalty yet. I don't mind so much if someone knows what they want, and they come in just once or twice and take some brochures and don't book with us. But when you spend HOURS and HOURS with them, making LOTS of recommendations and working hard with hours of research, and then they not only don't book with you, but use MY recommendation and book elsewhere, that really makes me upset!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
I've been working as a TA now for almost 4 years. We usually only charge fees for airline tickets because there is no commission for air tickets. However, we are starting to think about charging a fee for travel consultation. It doesn't happen a lot when it comes to cruise sales, but what does happen for some customers doing land vacations, especially for Mexico and Caribbean resort vacations, is they use our services and recommendations, then go price shopping and book elsewhere. I recently had a honeymoon couple that I spent almost 2 months working with and answered TONS of questions and made LOTS of recommendations, in the end they took all my work and the recommendation I came up with and booked it elsewhere online because it was $60 cheaper! That really irks (the nicest word I could come up with since this is a public board) me! We are considering for all future land vacation clients, to charge a consultation fee of $25 per person, that we would apply to the booking if they book with us.
I understand completely. Been there - done that. I have had clients who have emailed me when they know I'm on vacation to tell me they can find it through XX company at $20 cheaper - am I going to match it. I have spent personal time sitting on a ship or in a hotel on my phone for people like this - long distance calls at my expense and have them walk away cause someone else will beat the price by $10. Then they come back and complain because they couldn't get service after booking with another company and want me to help them!!! I used to but not anymore. Now I just politely tell them they will have to discuss it with the person they booked it with - and yes, they have called me on a Sunday evening at 10 o'clock cause they know I'm available 24/7 even when on vacation but they still booked with someone who could save them $10.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 27th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Captain

Glad to hear that other TA's feel the same about people wasting their time

Agencies are starting to charge a fee but will apply it to the booking when you actually book with them.

Like they say in business
"TIME IS MONEY"
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Most travel agents will charge a fee for domestic air and some other noncommisionable services. However, if it seems to you that you get one of those travel agents(who are unfortunately colleagues) who have decided to charge a service fee for everything, run away fast.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
First Mate

Default this discussion

This discussion makes me feel better that I do all my booking myself, online.

My fare just dropped $300 and one phone call was all I had to make (and the phone call was free...on a weekend). Done. No fees, no commissions.

Am I the only one?

Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post

My fare just dropped $300 and one phone call was all I had to make (and the phone call was free...on a weekend). Done. No fees, no commissions.

Am I the only one?
No you are not!!! We do all of our cruise and airline booking ourselves. We book our airline tickets online and it could not be any easier. That way we get the airline and flight times that we want at the best price. For our cruise reservations sometimes we book direct with the cruise line and sometimes we go through an on-line broker. We are also not comfortable to have a middleman handling our arrangements in case there are some immediate changes to be made or there is a problem. Our theory is that on the cruise price drops, at the end of the day, you are the one who has the responsibility to watch for price drops and take action to get the reduction.

I do however, agree with the many TA's on this board who said it is not fair to waste their time getting information and then going elsewhere to book.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8 View Post

Am I the only one?
You shouldn't feel too much better. In the vast majority of cases, particularly with Carnival, if you're booking direct you're actually paying more than you have to. Carnival PVPs aren't allowed to discount.

Not true of every agent you get bids from... but enough that there's a plentiful pool to chose from.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Passenger

For a new client coming by referral, we charge a couple $150 consultation fee and require them to fill out an application for us to take them on as a client. If they are accepted, their fee is deposited. If not, their fee is returned. This is for a cruise experience which is much more than just the air to get them to the port, the pre/post cruise hotel arrangements and excursions in the ports of call. People are paying us not for opinion but for our advice and time. The COST of the trip is completely separate from our services.

There is a higher level concierge service we offer for unlimited booking throughout the year. That is limited to 50 clients only who fill out an even more detailed questionnaire and there is currently a waiting list. At this level, we are not only arranging their travel, but if they ask they get services from a cleaning service to tidy their home before their return to their pets being taken to the kennel to limo service to and from the airport and the port.

Not everyone pays it but I promise you when our phone rings it is someone we want to talk to and not a price shopper or tire kicker.