Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Default Queen Mary

Just read the QM article in the CM newsletter. Let's hope the Delaware North group does her justice. Count me as one who was very disappointed in his pre-cruise stay. Perhaps I had set my hopes too high. Fortunately when I was looking back at her from the Carnival Splendor my disappointment washed away.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Captain

FYI, IMHO Delaware North hasn't done a very good job at all once they took over the concession of my beloved Yosemite National Park.
The Queen Mary's really fun to visit but we've never tried the hotel.
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I stayed on the Queen Mary last September for my precruise stay. I can say that I had a great time exploring the ship. I ddin't have any negative comments or thought on the ship other than I missed touring around the engine room and the aft area of the ship. It was my fault I didn't get there cuz I didn't look at the map. I had a great time and would stay there again.

Perhaps you had a bad location on the ship. I had a harbour view cabin almost at the very aft of the ship M157--a long walk to the elevators...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I know a lot of people had bad experiences with the hotel ops of Queen Mary 1 (docked in Long Beach) but I can tell you DElaware North has done a FANTASTIC job at Kennedy Space Center. I still think of that as one of the best tours I have ever taken.

As the article says, I had a chance to meet Delaware North Mgmt. when they owned the Delta Queen company, and I found them to be highly committed to not only operating the vessels, but in restoring the original experience of river steamboats.

In other words, all of my experiences with them have been positive.

This article in the Orlando Sun Sentinel says:

Quote:
Company officials say their strategy is to restore the ship to much of its Art Deco splendor while incorporating modern-day amenities.

For example, as it begins to remodel the 314 staterooms, the company has refurbished the room's original portholes and bathtubs -- including knobs for hot and cold saltwater -- but also added flat-screen televisions, hair dryers and iPod docking stations.

"I think people are looking for something different, and this will offer that," said Uwe Roggenthien, the general manager of the ship.

Roggenthien declined to say how much Delaware North has spent on the ship, but the lease operator that hired Delaware North signed an agreement with the city of Long Beach to invest more than $5 million in upgrades over a two-year period that began in 2008. More than half of that sum has already been spent, and at least a third of the renovations are completed, according to city officials and Delaware North representatives. The renovations are scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

As I mentioned before, I stayed there in September and the staterooms have been renovated by then. My cabin had the LCD TV and it had the Ipod radio thingy (useless to me as I have a much superior MP3 player--Creative Zen).

My only problem with the QM hotel was my room card didn't work and I had to go back to the main desk to get it fixed....minor...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Admiral

One cabin (last October) had not been renovated yet. The biggest problem we had was with the air. One vent blew hot and the other vent blew cold. The hot vent would not turn so could not be shut off.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Familiar Face

I stayed on her way back in the mid 90's. She belonged to the Disney corporation at the time. They had a "Ghost walk" where they took you down to the third class rooms and into the bowels of the ship where Ghosts have been sighted. Quite an experience since these are areas you never get to normally. Difinitely the "Disney" touch. I enjoyed walking her decks when all the day tourists have left and imagining what it would have been like to sail her. The rooms really give you a sense of how much the ships have improved over the decades but still fun just to experiance it. We did get stuck in one of the original elevators, which is another story....anyway I hope this new owner gives her the respect she deserves.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeatlast View Post
I stayed on her way back in the mid 90's. She belonged to the Disney corporation at the time. They had a "Ghost walk" where they took you down to the third class rooms and into the bowels of the ship where Ghosts have been sighted. Quite an experience since these are areas you never get to normally. Difinitely the "Disney" touch. I enjoyed walking her decks when all the day tourists have left and imagining what it would have been like to sail her. The rooms really give you a sense of how much the ships have improved over the decades but still fun just to experiance it. We did get stuck in one of the original elevators, which is another story....anyway I hope this new owner gives her the respect she deserves.
I understand they have a "ghost tour" now.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

They do have a ghost tour now and it is very popular.