CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   All Things Cruising (
-   -   Killing time before cruise embarkation: Suggestions? (

justasec March 16th, 2010 02:08 AM

Killing time before cruise embarkation: Suggestions?

We will be taking a cruise that leaves Port Everglades at 5 PM. Our flight into FLL (Fort Lauderdale) airpot arrives at 11 AM.

Any suggestions for how to kill time before cruise embarkation begins? (In fact, what time does check-in typically begin for a 5 PM departure?)

We are travelling with small children so we can pretty much forget the option of just going straight from the airport to the terminal, and waiting a few hours before check-in, with a good book to read.

I am thinking that the biggest burden is our luggage. If there was some way to drop it off ahead of time at the cruise terminal, then it would give us more liberty to travel around for those few hours before check-in.

Looking forward to any advice you can give!

Donna March 16th, 2010 08:32 AM

By the time your plane lands, they should have people boarding. I'd just collect luggage/kids, etc. and head off to the ship. Once onboard, have some lunch and explore the ship. In most cases, you can't get into your cabin until 1:00, so after lunch you can drop off your carry-on's and enjoy the afternoon.

justasec March 16th, 2010 10:11 AM

Great, thanks! I thought they wouldn't be starting boarding before 3 PM or something. Good to know that we can board much earlier!

- justasec

LisaK March 16th, 2010 02:38 PM

totally agree with Donna on this one

Trip March 16th, 2010 08:27 PM

In your carry on, pack shorts for the kids, etc..head for the cafe for lunch, and then set off to light carry on, won't be hard to manage..

Have a ball!

Donna March 16th, 2010 08:40 PM

You may also want to go for a swim if its nice, so pack that in your carry-on too, why wait for your luggage when you can enjoy the ship.

momofmeg March 22nd, 2010 11:07 AM

You probably can board ship at 11, though usually it is 1 or 2 pm before you can get into your stateroom.

One thing we enjoyed in Ft. Lauderdale, if you are in no hurry to get on ship, is you could visit Butterfly World. It takes about 2 hours.