Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Dining in port?

When you are in port, do you take the time to dine in one of the restaurants, and enjoy the local flavor? This is something I want to do next cruise..it seems I am either too tired, or too involved in an excursion, and just want to get back onboard, and eat there.

I know I am missing a slice of the island life, and a taste of the local cuisine..you too? I hope not....I need to really try this..Mike, I know you do, and enjoy it every time...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Admiral

we have mainly gone back to the ship but have a few times. actually one of the best meals was the first time in Belize, the lunch was part of our excursion. Belizian BBQ chicken , rice with beans and cole slaw.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Admiral

We have eaten ashore on Barbados - probably because it would have been a hassle to go back on board and then come back out. Hope to hit up some tavernas while in Greece this summer.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
First Mate

We are foodies and plan to spend our day in Cozumel next month eating and shopping. Mostly eating.

Can anyone recommend a good AUTHENTIC restaurant for lunch?
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Admiral

does a liquid lunch at Carlos-N-Charlies count? lol
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Admiral

we like to book excursions that include a lunch prepared by the locals, i remember one excursion a long time ago we were in LaGuria, Venezula and we got fresh catch fish for lunch, and i mean waiting for the fisherman to come to the dock, yum
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Captain

Default Food

We plan on doing it this time. We're going to Mexico and that is my husbands favorite food, so he informed me we would be eating at every port.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Cool Amazon Lunch

In the middle of an Amazon excursion we stopped in the middle of the Amazon for a fantastic buffet lunch of the freshest fish imaginable, fruit, veggies...Forget the reminder not to eat locally.. Years ago we were in cozumel for a week and somebody sent us to a restaurant in non-tourist Cozumel and we had seafood lasagna.. to die for...wish I could remember the name of the place...although I think I remember a place called El Morro..andI may have their card..still.. Another time at some far out beach in Puerta La Cruez, Venezuela a man came by with his son on the beach selling homemade lasagna..another day at the back a man was making tapas...
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Never! --- unless the lunch is included as part of an all day shore trip. We have no interest in mystery food, and/or taking a chance on bad food.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Admiral

In the 3 times we've cruised we made it a point to indulge in local flavor .To me its part of the fun of cruising
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Admiral

The only meals we have eaten off the ship where part of the excursion or ship sponsored (at at Half Moon Cay). We always go back to the ship for a late lunch. While I have a stomach of steel my other half does not and we just don't take the chance of something he eats not liking his stomach.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Admiral

On a cruise to Alaska a couple we traveled with decided to have lunch in a local pub...WOW was it expensive. I'm not saying the food wasn't good...it was just way way to expensive, for our cruise budget at least.

We generally can't justify the extra cost, UNLESS we are on a land tour etc. In Alaska the ship was right across the street!

When we were in Asia we were extremely careful where we ate. We never ate from street vendors etc. because you don't really know what you're eating. Guess I'm just not that adventurous, were as my husband will eat almost anything you put on a plate if it's not moving! But even he was cautious.
Old March 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Asia was the BEST food. While some things may have not been the norm for many people I know that almost anyone would have said that most things were very good or delicious.

Snake: It tastes like chicken.

Eel is deelicious:

Before:

After: This was WONDERFUL

The Octopus was tasty and not chewy. My wife loved it and ate every tentacle.

And a spread like this for $11 for two people.

Bon Appetite,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Admiral

We will occassionally eat off ship. In Mykonos, I had souvlaki and retsina at a cafe over looking the water but that was a rare meal ashore (besides on ship excursions). It is not that I don't think it safe; it is just that I really like the food on the ship. For a upcoming stop in Gloucester, MA, I was thinking it would be great to have Maine lobster; then, I realized, that I could have it any night on the ship. No special trip required.

We have taken long land trips and eaten food in China, Southeast Asia, and across Europe. The only reason we don't usually eat ashore on cruises is the fact that we prefer the ship.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Cool N.E. Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
We will occassionally eat off ship. In Mykonos, I had souvlaki and retsina at a cafe over looking the water but that was a rare meal ashore (besides on ship excursions). It is not that I don't think it safe; it is just that I really like the food on the ship. For a upcoming stop in Gloucester, MA, I was thinking it would be great to have Maine lobster; then, I realized, that I could have it any night on the ship. No special trip required.

We have taken long land trips and eaten food in China, Southeast Asia, and across Europe. The only reason we don't usually eat ashore on cruises is the fact that we prefer the ship.
Sadly Marc the ships don't serve Maine lobster..its usually Caribbean lobster..Are you really going to be in Gloucester, MA? Many famous seafood restaurants around there with specialty on fried clams.. What ports are you going to and what ship? It seems Gloucester wants to become a major seaport outside of Boston. There is so much to see in Essex and Salem and if I can be of help let me know... Right now with the floods of the clam beds here we/they are bringing in clams from Canada..
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Mike, we will be on Seven Seas Navigator in 2011 Montreal to Ft Lauderdale 15 nights with a number of Canadian and US ports. I think they are Quebec City, Saguenay, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halfiax, Bar Harbor, Gloucester, Newport, New York, Savannah, and Charleston.

Regent now serves Maine lobster in Prime 7 every night. You can also special order it in Compass Rose any time.

I lived in Lowell for three years. I used to go to Willow Pond in Concord for lobster or up to Newburyport. Alas, Willow Pond is closed. I am thinking of using the day in Goucester to either go back to Lowell (great Greek food) or just take one of the included excursions to Boston. The one place I won't go is Legal Seafood for an overpriced meal.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Old March 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Mike M;1281263]Asia was the BEST food.

Yup it does.

Looks like you were in Hong Kong...they have Wonderful food there. But for us in some of the out of the way places, villages, etc. we were very careful.

On one of our trips to China we found out from the Hong Kong Daily news that the government was having trouble with some of the farmers continued use of dangerous chemicals on their fresh vegetables (can't remember what it was) anyway, everyday up until we heard about it, we were drinking freshly made carrot juice from the local street vendors. We had never given a thought to what the local farmer feeds his animals or what type of fertilizer or chemicals they would use on their fruits or veggies. BUT we never did have problems with anything we ate that was cooked. We made sure that we ate nothing raw or undercooked.

But like I said, my husband will eat anything put on his plate that's not moving! So he did eat well throughout China! (I ate carefully...not as much fun but I never got sick once)
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mike could give Andrew Zimmern & Anthony Bourdain, a run for the money!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Mike, we will be on Seven Seas Navigator in 2011 Montreal to Ft Lauderdale 15 nights with a number of Canadian and US ports. I think they are Quebec City, Saguenay, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halfiax, Bar Harbor, Gloucester, Newport, New York, Savannah, and Charleston.

Halifax is one of our most favorite cities..Bar Harbor we found a lobster pound where we picked the size lobster we wanted, added steamers and corn and ate on the roof deck next door..

Regent now serves Maine lobster in Prime 7 every night. You can also special order it in Compass Rose any time.

I lived in Lowell for three years. I used to go to Willow Pond in Concord for lobster or up to Newburyport. Alas, Willow Pond is closed. I am thinking of using the day in Goucester to either go back to Lowell (great Greek food) or just take one of the included excursions to Boston. The one place I won't go is Legal Seafood for an overpriced meal.

Lowell has changed for the better.. did they have the LowellFolk Festival whe you were there and did you go to the University..

As for seafood..we frequent Skipjacks in Copley Square when we go to theatre, but you will not recognize the Port of Boston and that area..very yuppy, upscale restaurants, condos and shops..BTW we are in Marlboro where there is a fanastic Greek owned seafood restaurant, Coral.. w hich outdoes Legal and any of the places in Boston. Newport is only an hour or so from our home...Where Jimmy's was... is a whole Legal Restaurant Complex going in.. Across the street is a Legal Test Kitchen.. very unimpressive imo.

If you haven't been back to the area for ages...your in for a treat..In the Gloucester area are so many great seafood restaurants..and I don't include Woodmans...lol.. We head towards the Blue?? in Essex... Of course No Name is still there, but not what it used to be..Athanas maynot be around but his tourist restaurant is..the Barking Crab is new... and of course the North End with Mikes and Modern Bakery..
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:21 AM
Admiral

Parrot, thanks for the recommendations!!!

I moved to Lowell in 87 when it was on its way up due to, in large part, support from Tsongas. Then, Wang went bankrupt and took the city down with it. I left in 90 and don't think I have visited since 98. I am glad to hear that it is recovering.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old March 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Default Lowell

Lowell, has a multi-cultural personality..Thai, Cambodians among others..and there are now several museums up and running..The Lowell Folk Festival (did they have it then) is a major success... free and venues all over the city with wonderful folk singers that are making early appearances before hitting it big.
Yes, I remember the days of Dr. Wang..our days of glory in the State. I know it sounds touristy and I thought it was too until I took cruisers/friends on it. I highly recommend the original Duck Tour.. There is so much of Boston that has changed and things as a native Bostonian I did not know.. Would you believe the duck boats are being used right t his very day in neighborhoods that are inaccessible by car because of the flooding.. Oh yes..the Peabody Museum in Salem rivals the Boston Museum of Art and the Gardner. it has been revamped and is no longer just a "sailng' museum.. There is an authentic Chinese house inside...taken down piece by piece...BTW Mrs. Tsongas is running again, but with many candidates waiting to take her on.
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Admiral

I am fairly adventurous about food, but my stomach is not. Years ago, a Jamaican chef on an NCL ship told me rules of thumb for eating safely in foreign ports.
Look for refridgeration. And never eat any kind of meat from a place that doesn't have it, such as road side vendors. Also, be aware that personal sanitation is not that great in some places, so only eat things that you can peel, like an orange.
Fish is the safest meat because if it has gone bad, you can smell it. Beef is second safest, since it takes the longest to go bad. And, never eat chicken or other fowl, since it can be bad enough to kill you and you can't always smell or taste it.
That said, if a ship's tour includes a meal ashore, I am thrilled. I do like to try new things and a sampling of what locals eat is a hint as to their lives. One of our favorite things to do when not on a tour is to go to local grocery stores. We don't buy any perishables, but somehow doing something that local people do gives a feeling for a place that looking at it from a bus full of fellow tourists just can't.
Marty