Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Tell us why......

The prettiest port you have visited...I have not been yet, but in my mind....the Italian Riviera..

The one that was a big let down.....Dominica..I was ill, but stayed on the ship, but even if I wasn't I think I would have anyway...

The most interesting....Caracas Venezuala

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:27 AM
Admiral

The prettiest I have been to is probably Dubrovnik or Santorini; Venice does't really top the list because where you dock is pretty non-descript.

The most interesting ports have been St Petersburg and Venice. We have spent multiple days in both and there is still more to see. Venice definitely is the best sail in and sail away.

My least favorite port is Grand Cayman. Tendering, crowds, high costs. and limited sight seeing place it on the bottom.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Default Grand Caymans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
The prettiest I have been to is probably Dubrovnik or Santorini; Venice does't really top the list because where you dock is pretty non-descript.

The most interesting ports have been St Petersburg and Venice. We have spent multiple days in both and there is still more to see. Venice definitely is the best sail in and sail away.

My least favorite port is Grand Cayman. Tendering, crowds, high costs. and limited sight seeing place it on the bottom.
Well Marc, we are going to the Grand Caymans next month for the first time in many years and if your right we will spend very little time, maybe a trolley tour away from the hordes of cruisers and then back to the ship. Perhaps this is one of the reason we have NOT cruised the Caribbean these past few years.. Dominica has a charming port..and I can hardly wait to see how Cozumel is overrun with tourists/cruisers now..it was basically an almost sleepy tourist destination.
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:30 PM
Admiral

The prettiest port we've visited is Curacao. All of the pastel buildings, the floating bridge, and the people were wonderful.

The worst was Cartagena, Colombia. Although we were told we should book an excursion (they say that about all the ports) we didn't and the "town" where we ported was awful. First we had about a 5 minute walk through a working port. Security was a couple of guys eating lunch and taking a nap! There were "craters" in the sidewalks and the streets, men were kicking stray dogs :evil: and, while I don't expect everyone in a foreign country to speak English, I do expect someone in the port to speak or at least understand English.

I won't get off the ship in Jamaica anymore, for my own reasons... .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
Admiral

This maybe bias the prettiest port I have been to is Funchal, Madeira Island. On the hills and the blue ocean so unique and beautiful. Least favorite port Enseneda, Mexico.
Madeira Island from bus tour of the island.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Default Cartegena

Many moons ago we spent a week in Cartegena and loved the crumbling old city. When we went back on a cruise we hired a driver and had him take us there and it is beautiful now, remodeled homes, french restaurants and more behind those walls.. One of the first ports that we ever cruised was I think Ochios Rios and I too will never, ever get off the ship in Jamaica..I never felt after so many years in second and third world countries so threatened.. After going to Antigua in April I got the same feeling as Jamaica.... we like to walk around and the hassling was unbearable
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Bermuda and St. Thomas were the most beautiful ports I have seen. Now, I loved the coast of Alaska, and Glacier Bay, beautiful scenery, but I can't say the ports were particularly beautiful.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Bermuda and St. Thomas were the most beautiful ports I have seen. Now, I loved the coast of Alaska, and Glacier Bay, beautiful scenery, but I can't say the ports were particularly beautiful.
Now, my husband would say he loved the white cliffs of Dover.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Default Bermuda/St. George

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Have to admit that cruising through the "split" in St. George is one of the most beautiful sites with the white roofs and pastel colored homes. Bermuda is just the most charming place with the Bermudians being so polite and going out of their way to help, just love that Island and the people
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Trip - I have to disagree. While Roseau is not very interesting and maybe even kind of sad. I found the island of Dominica absolutely beautiful and can't wait to return.

But I guess that is why cruise ships got to all sorts of places, different strokes for different folks.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Most beautiful?

I would have to say the small coastal towns in Italy such as Portofino. A would also say Santorini for the architecture and the dramatic view.

I love walking around Venice, and I think St Petereburg (Russia) is one of the most interesting ports I have ever been to. Like Mark, I have spent many days in both places (at least four) and there is always more to see.

The Seine river cruise from Paris to the beaches of Normandy had some very dramatic vistas - visiting the castle of Richard the Lionheart, high atop a hill overlooking a foggy Seine River at dawn is among them.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Default Dominica

Did you do the tram ride through the rain forest? Couldn't believe how beautiful it was driving over and through the forest.. Then when I found myself walking along the floor of the jungle and then the suspension bridge over everything I had one of those "Auntie Mame" moments.. and I wondered what heck I was doing at my age.. and I haven't stopped raving about that tram ride ever since...

Paul.. I am still thinking about the Trevi fountain and its affect on me..sobbing uncontrollably at it's beauty at that exact moment. Threw a coin in and I'm going back in October.... and maybe, just maybe if I throw another coin in......
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Admiral

most interesting would have to be the Gatun and MiraFlores locks at the Panama Canal. I agree with Trip that Caracas, Venezula is beautiful
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Admiral

I enjoyed seeing the locks too, but they were not beautiful scenery, just interesting.

One thing for sure, after reading the posts here, I realize I still have much to see of the world. Hopefully, I will be around long enough to see much more.

Last year I did cruise on the Seine, Paul, but only in Paris-! We did the one hour "cruise" there.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

We did the one-hour cruise, too, but as I recall it took about 4 hours to wait in line, get on the boat, do the cruise and go home, and it was in March and freezing the entire time.

Actually, OUR river boat was scheduled to make the run, but the city had ruled just the week before that only authorized sightseeing boats could cruise past the Eiffel Tour, so the line actually treated all of us to the Seine River cruise.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paraty, Brasil. Gorgeous, sleepy little village. Would love to have a house on an island in the harbor.

Talin, Estonia was delightfully surprising. The old town was what you envision an old world village to look like.

There are so many that it's hard to decide.

Grand Cayman is fun to go to once or twice but after that it isn't really a "pretty" or very exciting place.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Well I am sure that there are much prettier places we have only been on Caribbean cruises so my choices would be Dominica, yes the port is not that great but the island is so beautiful. Curacao with the colorful buildings and they keep them that way. Old Town of Cartenega is also very pretty, with the flowers on almost all of the balconies and all over.

I am really looking forward to our cruise next year to Bermuda, I keep hearing and reading so many great things.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Default Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
Well I am sure that there are much prettier places we have only been on Caribbean cruises so my choices would be Dominica, yes the port is not that great but the island is so beautiful. Curacao with the colorful buildings and they keep them that way. Old Town of Cartenega is also very pretty, with the flowers on almost all of the balconies and all over.

I am really looking forward to our cruise next year to Bermuda, I keep hearing and reading so many great things.
Although I haven't been back to Bermuda for five years there is nothing like that island and we have been a dozen times.. Sadly, the cruise ships only go to Hamilton or the Dockyard. The buses and the ferries are great...people go out of their way to help you.. Walking the side streets and finding the lovely homes with the hidden gardens.. and if your lucky you will find the garden dedicated I think to Princess Margaret, Anybody that loves the Old Town of Cartegena is my type of person..lol..
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Captain

Dubrovnik is probably the prettiest port we have docked in and we loved Positano, Sorento, and Venice. Our absolute favorite place though is Rome, Italy. After our last cruise we spent 4 more days in Rome. I literally walked the streets the last evening in tears at the thought of leaving again.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Beginner

My favorite for both arriving and departing from is New York's Westside piers on the Hudson River.
For both excitement and breathtaking views, it can't be beat. It's an event and a connection to history.
YouTube - QE2 Arrives in New York

Least favorite port is Nassau Bahamas. Last time there I didn't even get off the ship.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Captain

Having only sailed the Caribbean.....Most beautiful is St. Thomas and the worst is Cartagena, Columbia

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Paul, I hope I get to see some of the Italy ports at least.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old August 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
We did the one-hour cruise, too, but as I recall it took about 4 hours to wait in line, get on the boat, do the cruise and go home, and it was in March and freezing the entire time.

Actually, OUR river boat was scheduled to make the run, but the city had ruled just the week before that only authorized sightseeing boats could cruise past the Eiffel Tour, so the line actually treated all of us to the Seine River cruise.
We waited about 30 minutes. It was a little rough on us, but because of jet lag, we were tired but did not want to waste a moment of our time there doing something so mundane as taking a nap.
Now the Louvre was super crowded. We did that the next day, but the first day in Paris, we had to go see the Eiffel Tower, and while there we took the boat ride nearby on the Seine.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old August 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Passenger

We only taken one cruise to date ... a 7 day Alaskan Explorer, and I must say my favorite port on that cruise was Sitka! Simply beautiful!!