Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to chefmattsigel
Default Chef Matt

Hi everyone Im Chef Matt Sigel. I was season 4 of Hells Kitchen. Please feel free to ask me anything about the show or about my joint cruise with cruisemates. IM so excited new ship and meeting all that attend. So please feel free to write.
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:06 AM
Admiral

Welcome on board chef. :-D I love to cook and grow things in my garden. Fresh tomatoes are 10 times better then store brought. I have some Brandywine Tomatoes, Sweet 100 tomatoes, Poblano peppers, Jalapeno, and Habanero seeds started. I will be able to plant into the garden soon.

So my cooking question to you is any suggestions for how to use the brandywine tomatoes? I really like them fresh, but aside from salad and caprese I'm at a loss for ideas. One other question is there any variety of Tomato you really enjoy to use? I'm interested in finding some of the tastier less common heirloom tomato varieties to try out in next year's garden. You will have a blast on the Cruisemates cruise. Have you ever cruised before? Thank you for your help and welcome to the boards.:-D

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Chef Matt
I will be on the cruise and look forward to meeting you.
What cooking related events are planned for the cruise??
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Matt,

My wife, sister and I will be on the cruise. I am wondering if you have any cooking demos arranged? I hear you make a great risotto. It would be great to see how you do it.

I look forward to meeting you.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default hi all

Hi Kat Lady

Wow love heriloom tomatoes. Brandwines are great to cook with. Using puff pastry tomato tarts are great use some fresh thyme. Also peel the tomato cut in wedges and roast them with fennel. Roasting tomatoes get that natural sugar and sweetnes out of them. I love using plum tomato when its really ripe and using them to make a pan sauce.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Familiar Face

Default hi

Hi Everyone,

I look foward to spending time with you all on the cruise.
So far what I have planned is to cook the risotto I made on Hells Kitchen. I might even do my scallop and venison taretare. I will defintly talk about life in a kitchen. Also about dinning out. i love to talk. If there is anything you have an idea about feel free to share it.

Best Wishes
Chef Matt
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hey Matt,

Nice to see you posting. I was in Miami a few weeks ago for the big cruise industry convention, and I talked to the NCL execs and PR people about this group.

They've told me to get back to them closer to the cruise and they'll help set up anything we need onboard... like a kitchen for you

I am really excited about this group cruise. My blog this week was all about it, and some of the new entertainment that's going to be on the ship, which we got a sneak peek at in Miami.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Admiral

By any chance are you familiar with Chef Barry Schenker of Berkeley ,Calif ,the owner of Cooking Connects ?
We grew up together in Brooklyn
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmattsigel View Post
Hi Kat Lady

Wow love heriloom tomatoes. Brandwines are great to cook with. Using puff pastry tomato tarts are great use some fresh thyme. Also peel the tomato cut in wedges and roast them with fennel. Roasting tomatoes get that natural sugar and sweetnes out of them. I love using plum tomato when its really ripe and using them to make a pan sauce.
That sounds yummy. I just planted some thyme so that will work out great. Thanks for the ideas.:-D Last year was my first year with the Brandywines and they were so good fresh off the plant I knew I had to grow them again. I planted fava beans in front of my house. My neighbor was admiring the flowers when she noticed the beans. She thought it was a flower plant, flowers are pretty, but I can't eat them. Actually that is probably not true.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Familiar Face

Default wish

I wish I had room to plant a garden. I live in a townhouse. The backyard area I have is smalll. I would have to dig up grass and lay dirt down. I might do it next year. Just for fresh herbs and some easy growing stuff. Wow farva beans. I love them with seabass.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Familiar Face

Hi
Wow I grew up in Brooklyn also. No never heard of him but I will google the name.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmattsigel View Post
I wish I had room to plant a garden. I live in a townhouse. The backyard area I have is smalll. I would have to dig up grass and lay dirt down. I might do it next year. Just for fresh herbs and some easy growing stuff. Wow farva beans. I love them with seabass.
Fava beans are easy to grow. Put the seeds in the ground, water and put some snail bait around (Sluggo is safe to use around pets). I'm Portuguese so we use them in our cornmeal (similar to polenta only better;-)) and a Portuguese rice dish with a ham hock broth base.

Potatoes are easy; you can grow them in a trash can. I have 4 barrels of Yukon Golds growing. Also I have two Earth Boxes (I don't work for the company I just like them) they are very easy to use. The Earthbox has a water reservoir at the bottom and a then a fill tube at the top. The mulch cover keeps the weeds out. The bottom picture some one put wheels on. Which is a great idea I didn't think of. My basil, oregano and thyme are in the Earthbox.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Matty - we watched your entire season of Hell's Kitchen when they replayed it a few weeks ago. We watched it in one day.

I understand Christine worked at London West Hollywood for just a year, and now she is back home in Nebraska or some place. They said she would be the executive chef, but they ended up making her a sous chef.

I really want to hear more about the show Hell's Kitchen!!!

My gut tells me they pick the people who seem most appealing to the audience, and it isn't really about talent at all (that is just my cynical side).

I also think the contestants are far more experienced than they let on...

Tell us what the show is really like!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default Hells kitchen

Hi Paul & Crusiemates
I was trying to figure out how to reply to this thread. Although IM no longer under contract there are some things that are grey.

Christina did work at London. I dont know how long she served her duties. I do have dirt. I will give me personal opinions on the cruise.

Some of us are talented others I feel are put on for entertainment value. I think I was both. The producers liked me cause im wacky and brutally honest. i loved the show I love Gordon. We are not scpripted but things are plotted. We have no idea.
Best Wishes
Chef Matt
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Matt, thank you for figuring out a way to come back & talk to us.

As I did research on Christina I realized she was not executive chef material! I know she served merely as a sous chef. She got her $250k salary her first year and then when that was up she was probably offered $25k for the next year (I dont really know).

Anyway - she went back to Omaha, or wherever she is from and is not even an executive chef there.

I KNOW they set things up to get reactions out of the contestants and the audience. It was all pre-planned in production meetings, I am sure.

I can't wait to hear what you can tell us in person (not in print here in these message boards). The true story behind Hell's Kitchen.