Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Beginner

Default Destiny or Granduer of the Seas

I just joined today because we are looking into booking a cruise.

DH and I have cruised with our children several times on Disney, but we are FINALLY going alone for our 10yr anniversary!

We only have a certain time we can go due to babysitter situation.

We want to go on a 5 day during the last week in July and the only 2 options are Carnival Destiny and RCI Granduer of the Seas. Can you tell me the pros and cons of each and which you would prefer. We want to relax, but still enjoy some fun activities. I would LOVE to complete a book !

Thanks,
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HI Twinmom,
What are the ports of the two ships, the same?? I would opt for Grandeur, mainly because I'm a Royal Caribbean fan and I think Destiny is a bit older than Grandeur. A lot depends on ports and what activities you both enjoy doing while in port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Beginner

Thanks, Donna. Form the info I found, both ships are the same exact same age...maybe a month apart. I also read that Carnival had a total make over in 2005. That is why I am having a difficult time deciding.

The ports are:
RC...Georgetown, Grand Cayman & Cozumel, Mexico...2 stops 2 sea days.
Carnival...Grand Turk, Half Moon Bay & Nassau....3 stops 1 sea day.

One more question....how do I find some history on what ships/when they offer florida resident rates?

thanks again!
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HI Twinmom,
As for the info on specials for Fl. residents, just ask your travel agent, they should know and direct you.

Do let us know what ship you decide on..

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry, I have to disagee with Donna... plus she is wrong...

Both ships are from 1996, BUT Destiny is a much bigger and more fun ship than the smaller Grandeur of the Seas.

I would opt for Destiny is a millisecond over Grandeur. Especially when kids are involved.

Destiny is the original Carnival mega-ship and has a very fun interior and tons of activities for kids. Its itinerary is also really cool with lots of ports of call.

Go with Destiny!

Old May 30th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I toured the Destiny and sailed Grandeur's sister ship, the Enchantment, which I loved. When I toured the Destiny in Boston,the one thing I didn't care for was the stadium seating pool area..My 1st thought was kids running up and down, and tripping but...that's just me...

RC...Georgetown, Grand Cayman & Cozumel, Mexico...2 stops 2 sea day

2 great stops with kids..Sting Ray City in GC, would be great..check out both port excursions with both lines...Captain Marvin does good tours for SRC...

Carnival...Grand Turk, Half Moon Bay & Nassau....3 stops 1 sea day.

Basically you have 2 beach ports....could get redundant and boring depending on the kids...For Nassau, Atlantis and The Dig..Auquarium, would be fascinating for the kids...For these 2 ships, I would consider the destinations,and then the ship...happy researching!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Destiny is the best

I agree with Paul. I have been on both and the Carnival Destiny is the right choice. Food is great, excellent shows, great pool deck and 24 hour pizza.
Stay the night before at the Extended Stay america right by the port of Miami(if you are driving) free parking for up to 7 days. Shuttle is $10.00 pp

The Granduer is just a borring ship with no activites exept for bingo and the food is not up to par.