Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Dining Room Observations

When you get your dining room assignment, do you actually go and check to see the placement of the table, size, and configuration etc?

I think it's a good idea, and we always do, but sometimes seeing it and living it are 2 different things..

Once on the Zuiderdam, we had a table on a raised area in the dr...the table was an oval table set on an angle, with a banquette, and chairs....if you see this RUN! It didn't help that the chair next to me was close to another table, and space was limited...my friend, a large man, had to sit there, as opposed to the banquette..he would still be there trying to get out!

Serving in this confined area was not easy for the server...I think that, and the fighting between he and the busboy, led to very bad service..the opposite of what HAL is known for...This was also, the most crowded dr I can remember on a ship....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Admiral

We look after the safety drill, never had to change due to position...BUT last cruise we thought "this is a good table..nice position" turned out we were joined by the Chief Purser most evenings, very nice man too. You get flippin' good service then!!
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Anytime Dining! Yea ! If you have a "bad" table one night (either location or companions), you don't have it the next night.

If we did have assigned dining, we'd definitely check it out before dinner. If we found a problem I guess we'd get in the "see the Maître Di line" .

I prefer to sit with my back to a wall if possible (no, no one is looking for me , it's just more comfortable...). I'd also check the size of the table. I like a 6-8 person table. With Anytime Dining, unless we're really tired and don't feel like making small talk, we ask to sit with other's. Sometimes we ask for a table for two, but we usually just go to the buffet in that case.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Admiral

No ,we never have . We assume that we will be at a table of 8-10 .As of now our group is 4 ,possibly 6
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Default Table size

Parrot Pop loves large tables and except for one c ruise where we should have changed our table it worked o ut. Now, we are going to try BLU and the first night many of the AQUA passengers are going to go into Blu restaurants.. We do try to change seats to get to talk directly to the other guests..
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Admiral

We must have been lucky we have only had one " dodgy" couple at one table & that we put down to them being "less travelled", we persevered. One thing people don't realise is some people have never eaten with others, seldom eat out & maybe do not eat at a table much either.
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Admiral

no, we haven't done that, we always book with a small group of our friends and we all sit together
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Another reason to go check is to see if your position in the dr is ..maybe you are near a clearing stand..we were once, and it was very noisy..I at least would like an early abvantage to have the possibility of a change...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Last cruise we opted out of a group table at early sitting, and changed to a table for 2, late seating. No problem, except that it was next to a work station, and EXTREMELY busy with waiters and busboys rushing past every few seconds. I was actually cold from the breeze they created moving so fast!
Funny story. Same table, a couple nights after being changed, we're sitting there waiting for our dinner, when 2 men show up, standing around, staring at us, checking the table #, and looking at us as if we shouldn't be there.
Finally I asked if we could help, and they said we were in their seats.
Before I could argue, one of them clasped his hand over his mouth in utter horror and mumbled to his friend..."we're on the WRONG FLOOR"!
We laughed over that one the rest of the cruise!

donna
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its a good idea to go look to see where your table is. IF it is some place that is undeserable, you can change it before dinner...

Message Boards Moderator