Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:23 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

We generally cruise 2 X a year, in spring & fall & our decision on which cruise depends upon if the trip is itinerary driven or not. If there is a certain place we are interseted in we check the lines on which we are willing to sail & see what they are offering & most often sail the one with the most attractive price.

I realize that everyone has their own opinions about TAs, but I have to chuckle when I hear someone say that they spend the same, or even save $$ by not booking with a TA. Really??? They must not be loooking very hard! While many lines do not allow discounting, there are a number of on-line TAs who give on board credits or pre-paid gratuities. We usually get $100 to $200 on board credit from our on line TA each time we sail. After booking, I keep track of what our sailing is sellingfor, & if I see a lesser price for a room that I'm interested in, I call my TA, & she changes it for me.
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Rich...

I agree about the travel agent.

Even of you monitor your own prices a good travel agent will take care of getting the best rate for you when you tell them about a price drop. That is just that much less work you have to do yourself - not counting the extra discounts a travel agent can provide.

Plus, a GOOD travel agent has enough volume and clout to give you a perk once in awhile outside of the cruise line - on their own. So, if they cost you nothng, add a level of convenience and they can give you bonuses at times, why not use one, even if you micromanage your own booking?
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Admiral

I booked Carnival early saver fare. Every time the price went down I got on board credit (OBC). I checked my cruise price everyday. If the price went down I put in my early saver request right away. I had nice OBC on my last cruise and I'm completely happy with the price I got. BTW the price I paid was only available one day; the next day the price jumped about $50 per person. A travel agent could have easily missed that price decrease if they weren't watching the prices everyday. If I didn't like to watch the prices or do the research; I would book with a Travel Agent and they would be a great way to go. However, I enjoy the hunt, research, and price watching.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra View Post
Katlady,

Great post!!!!

I agree with you 100% about having control over your vacation and have not used a TA for many years. You are right that NO Travel Agent will watch the prices as well as you and I do!!

Happy cruise planning,

Debra
I totally agree with you. I booked Early Saver fare on Carnival every time the price went down so did the Travel Agent's commission. So why would the Travel Agent be watching the prices as close a I do? So they could lose money on the price drop? Doesn't make sense to me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Passenger

I too have a spreadsheet, not as elaborate, that lets me input the cost of the different room types, cruise lines and dates. I have an additional formula that adds on estimates for airfare based on port city, taxes/fees, pet sitting, transportation, and our typical on-board spending amount so we can see the "real" cost of a cruise. I then look through the spreadsheet to find the most affordable option at the best time and book.